TV Teddy Retiring?

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
Veteran referee Ted Valentine is no stranger to controversy. Ever since he ejected then-Indiana coach Bob Knight from a game in 1998, Valentine has been one of college basketball’s most recognized and villified officials. He is also one of the most respected, which is why he has worked 10 Final Fours in his career, including last year’s semifinal between Oregon and North Carolina.

While most officials prefer to maintain a low profile, Valentine’s exuberance on the court and penchant for confrontation has drawn him much unwanted attention as well as the nickname “TV Teddy.” Most of the time, he has accepted the scrutiny with perspective and relative good cheer. Yet, during a telephone interview with The Fieldhouse Saturday night, Valentine expressed frustration about the criticism he received as a result of his decision to turn his back on North Carolina point guard Joel Berry II during the Tar Heels’ loss at Florida State Wednesday night. He even went so far as to suggest he might walk away from the profession he has worked in for nearly 30 years.

“I’m thinking about retiring,” Valentine said. “I’ve had enough of people blowing up stuff. I think I’ve had a stellar career, and I think it’s time to get ready to walk away.”

Link

Ummm, you do realize that the TV Teddy twitter account you are referencing is a parody, don't you?

You should barely notice a good ref and Teddy makes sure you take notice that he is on the court. For somebody who seems to love attention I find it ironic that he might retire because of all the negative responses on social media. Here let me draw attention to myself but whine if any of it is negative. Bye, bye Teddy.

Perhaps he’s interested in politics.

A bright spot in a sucky season

Ummm, you do realize that the TV Teddy twitter account you are referencing is a parody, don't you?

I'm a moron. I followed the link from another site and didn't double check it.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Good riddance. The guy always thought he was why people paid money to be there.

Top Bottom