In from Atlanta...

BilldGopher

Section 211
Reaction score
The Billds did a quick two-day trip to Atlanta to visit family. Sunny and 34 degrees felt pretty darn good.

Anywho as noted in another thread the two-SEC team match-up is far from ideal but Atlanta is full on-board for the game. And although there are tons of Alabama grads living in the city and metro area...not so different from Iowa and Enemies to the East graduating and coming to the Twin Cities...and the AL-GA border is only 100 or so miles away...90% of the hype is on the Dawgs and Bulldawg Nation. The only way I see the TC Super Bowl hype matching it is if the Vikings make it in to the game.

Anecdotal evidence also suggests UGA fans are ponying-up to purchase tickets...lowest available price yesterday was around $1,300 up in the blimp section of Mercedes-Benz stadium (at least it's not named after a bank). Won't know till the game but this has all the makings of being essentially a home game for UGA...at least in the stands.

Football is a great sport. Reaching this spot in the annual competition is great for whoever can achieve it. Seeing both Tide and Georgia fans pouring into the airport was just fun to see. Us fans of the other 127 schools may or may not care at this point any given year but this is what it's all about.

As a both a Minnesota and UGA grad of course pulling for Georgia but know it will be tough. If they win Atlanta will be nuts.

First of all, Atlanta is the Chicago of the Southeast.

People from all SEC and ACC schools go there for jobs.

Secondly, I believe Alabama and Georgia will get the game sold out.

Third, I presume this will be a low TV ratings game because some feel the national champion was already named, and most other people don't care about an ESPN / SEC political production.

I’m sure this game is huge in Atlanta. But that’s it. There is not another Top-40 metro area where this game will draw even a small fraction of the attention it will in The Atlanta market.

I’m sure this game is huge in Atlanta. But that’s it. There is not another Top-40 metro area where this game will draw even a small fraction of the attention it will in The Atlanta market.

Only ones I think possible would be: Dallas, Houston, Nashville, and Jacksonville. Outside of those.......no. And......Houston / Dallas may be a stretch.

There was a caller on the post game Winnipeg Jets show (Jets came from Atlanta). The host and the caller talked for 10 minutes about the Georgia game. The guy just sounded just so ecited (said he was having trouble sleeping all week). Said Atlanta will party for a week if Georgia wins.

I hope Georgia wins.

I could be wrong, but I think the ratings for this game are going to be better than people think. I think the ratings will be much better than the last all SEC affair between Alabama and LSU. I don’t see how any causal fan who watched that Rose Bowl could not tune in to see if Georgia can upset Alabama. The last time these two teams played each other it was a classic that went down to the final play. If they give us anything like that game, those who don’t watch will be missing some good football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could be wrong, but I think the ratings for this game are going to be better than people think. I think the ratings will be much better than the last all SEC affair between Alabama and LSU. I don’t see how any causal fan who watched that Rose Bowl could not tune in to see if Georgia can upset Alabama. The last time these two teams played each other it was a classic that went down to the final play. If they give us anything like that game, those who don’t watch will be missing some good football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last time the played was 2015. 38-10
Last time before that was 32-28 in 2012 SEC Championship

The Journal-Constitution allowed Georgia Tech fans to vent on the hype they've had to endure this past week. Here's the link:

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...-week-has-been-brutal/mlDaqdCakNJ3VwgIvbLqHM/

As Face the Facts notes, Atlanta is full of SEC and ACC grads. Although Tech fans would find all this especially nauseating, alumni of the other schools would not be far behind.

With probably no love for Bama either...really a challenge on who to hate for one more day.

Top Bottom