Would you swap McKinley Wright over IW for the next 4 years?

If Wright wanted to be a Gopher, he would be. Can we stop it with these stupid threads and posts? I for one am happy to have IW on the team. I would have been happy with Wright too, but that is irrelevant.

I’m glad you’re happy because up to this point I’m fairly disappointed. I hope things change but right now IW can’t hit the broad side of the barns rims with nothing but bricks. Still early though.

We recruited wright hard. To me mistake was stockman, if we had open scholarship I think he'd be here

No Washington will be the man next year

I’m glad you’re happy because up to this point I’m fairly disappointed. I hope things change but right now IW can’t hit the broad side of the barns rims with nothing but bricks. Still early though.

way too early too tell. They are asked to do different things. Neither one graded out high as a shooter and thus the offer schedule. When IW adjusts to the college game and feeds his offense off his defense he will flourish. Wright is ahead in that regard but each situation is different.

We slow played Wright once Washington started giving us serious interest. If we would have made Wright our #1 priority at PG, he would be a gopher.

From everything I've read, this is what happened.

Someone also added that once Miller left and Wright reopened his recruitment, we tried to get him to go to prep school and be part of our '18 class, and that also makes sense. I remember thinking something must be up because we were still talking to him at that point, even after we already had Washington and Harris on board.

Wright looks better than expected so far, but next year will be a better comparison when they're both in full time roles.

I would take wright and Davidson over Harris and Washington all day. Pitino's roster construction is an Achilles heel for him.

No, IW was one of the best freshman in the B10 during his last 10 games. He will great next year.

I would take wright and Davidson over Harris and Washington all day. Pitino's roster construction is an Achilles heel for him.

No way. Wright and IWs numbers converged toward the latter part of the season and IW has more overall potential. Davison had a nice season but plays in a very different style/system and he's a better fit for WI.

I don't think it was ever going to be realistic to land both of them even if they wanted to. They play the same position.

Expectations were far too high for Washington coming in and I can't act like I didn't expect more...but asking a freshman point guard to come in and carry the bench unit was too much to ask to begin with. Curry's injury didn't help that and poor roster construction which i'm glad Pitino spoke on in his post season assessment made it that much harder on him. Having players around him next year that really suit his style should go a long way in his development. The floor spacing has the chance to be pretty good with the shooters we'll have so it should give IW the chance to shine especially off PnR. Long term the struggles and fans turning to critics online should bring him back down to earth a bit which is probably what he needed. I mean he's been somewhat of a celebrity in basketball circles since he was 16 so it's good he'll have a summer to put his head down and grind.

No denying McKinley had a great year at Colorado. But to me the appealing part with him more than anything was the relationship he had with the D1 MN players. Whether it be John, Sims, Race or the Hurt brothers he seemed to be really close with all of them and that could have gone a long way in Matthew's recruitment. In the end, I think it will work out for all parties involved and we'll look back on the IW or Wright or Davison debates as silly.....or at least that's what i'm trying to convince myself to believe.

Harris is the bigger mistake at this point. You can't have a guy that short not be able to ball handle a bit and score by driving.

MW has been fantastic, and Davidson has had his moments, but I think we can all agree we see IW's potential. He has some maturing to do.

Harris is the bigger mistake at this point. You can't have a guy that short not be able to ball handle a bit and score by driving.

MW has been fantastic, and Davidson has had his moments, but I think we can all agree we see IW's potential. He has some maturing to do.

Harris showed some ability to drive later in the season. It's a little premature to call him a mistake at this point.

I would take Washington and Wright, but it has been pointed out... Why would Wright want to come when we already had Washington.

Davidson is a good player, but I'm still fine with not having him.

I'm not going to call Stockman a mistake, he's a wait and see guy for me.

No way. Wright and IWs numbers converged toward the latter part of the season and IW has more overall potential. Davison had a nice season but plays in a very different style/system and he's a better fit for WI.

I don't see IW as having more potential, he's quicker but not nearly as athletic as Wright, they bring different things to the table but if Wright continues to shoot as well as he has there is no way IW brings more potential than Wright. Wright played decent against Jones, Jones destroyed Davison, if that comparison is at all valid then I would think Wright has always had an upside.

Wright and IW are similar guys as freshman point guards but I think IW raises the profile of Minnesota, which is nice for recruiting and probably has a higher ceiling. I'm excited to see how he plays with an offseason of being the number 1 point guard and a stable lineup around him.

Wright and IW are similar guys as freshman point guards but I think IW raises the profile of Minnesota, which is nice for recruiting and probably has a higher ceiling. I'm excited to see how he plays with an offseason of being the number 1 point guard and a stable lineup around him.

Perhaps most importantly, a five who has hands that can routinely catch the ball. Thanks for choosing the U, Daniel.

Wright was set to come here...

Perhaps most importantly, a five who has hands that can routinely catch the ball. Thanks for choosing the U, Daniel.

but changed his tune when IW committed the day before Wright's announcement. I think it's clear that they told Washington they were going to take Wright unless IW spoke up. He did.... and that's where we are. Wright played beyond expectations, Washington is still learning the team first game but has a chance to very good. As stated above...it will be nice to have a big man with some mitts....and to free up Murph, Curry and Omersa to operate.

To answer the original question though....I would trade ad take Wright, though IW has great potential.

I think the arc for Harris was always going to be a upperclassman role player and designated shooter. He got thrust into duty with macbrayer’s and coffee’s injuries and IW’s growing pains during the middle of the year.

I have a hard time reading criticisms of Pitino for recruiting a couple of project guys who weren’t going to see the floor this year before **** hit the fan. Successful teams not named Kentucky and Duke need to rely on upperclassmen that have grown in the system. Sometimes these guys don’t see the floor until junior year. But that’s okay when there’s talent elsewhere....

Doesn’t anyone remember how short the bench was in November? It was plain as day that this team was going to trust 6 play 7 before curry went down, and I think it’s plain as day that Pitino recruited Harris for the future and not for meaningful minutes this year. It’s too bad that Harris wasn’t a stronger overall player, but he showed he was a shooting threat after he got his feet underneath him. Also as others stated, he started to score in the lane after defenses recognized him as a shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harris showed some ability to drive later in the season. It's a little premature to call him a mistake at this point.

+1. Way too early to call him a mistake. He is a 3 star freshman. Give him time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitino's latest blog indicated early in the season practice wasn't of much interest for IW. Then he bought in and practiced seriously later in the season. If I knew for sure Washington would put in the gym time shooting, I would take him. Can't know this for sure so at this point I would go with Wright.

Pitino's latest blog indicated early in the season practice wasn't of much interest for IW.

Maybe Allen Iverson is his idol. "Practice?...practice?...You're talkin' about practice?"

Slightly better?

True Shooting Percentages (a much better measure than field goal percentage) so far as freshmen:

Wright: 56%
Washington: 40.3%

To put that in perspective, McBrayer and Dorsey, who were abysmal shooters as freshmen, were 44.6% and 45.3% respectively that year.
washington was 53.7% shooting over his last 9 games vs Wright 33%, also over the last nine games Washington shot 30% fron 3s, Wright 33% from 3s and Washington averaged 27.4 min per game and Wright averaged 33 minutes a game. These stats say that both are fine freshmen. One could say I cherry picked Washington’s best games but I would sure rather have his best 9 games be at the end of the season vs at the beginning of the season.

washington was 53.7% shooting over his last 9 games vs Wright 33%, also over the last nine games Washington shot 30% fron 3s, Wright 33% from 3s and Washington averaged 27.4 min per game and Wright averaged 33 minutes a game. These stats say that both are fine freshmen. One could say I cherry picked Washington’s best games but I would sure rather have his best 9 games be at the end of the season vs at the beginning of the season.

OK, but that post was written some time ago and, based on the evidence, that was true then. Don't you agree?

I wouldn't write the same thing now.

OK, but that post was written some time ago and, based on the evidence, that was true then. Don't you agree?

I wouldn't write the same thing now.

Sorry, yes I do agree. I wasn't paying attention when the post was written or when this thread started, I was just assuming that this was a newer thread.

Top Bottom