Pitt fan similar to some Gophers fans?

pk2

Reaction score
theathletic.com is a somewhat new website with lots of great articles by established writers. In particular, they cover the four major professional sports leagues in the US, as well as college football and basketball, and some Canadian concerns.

One of the features is a column by Faux Pelini, who became popular while Bo Pelini was Nebraska's football coach. In this week's column, he writes a reply to a query from a fan of Pitt football, who asks a question that could have easily been written about the Gophers and P.J. Fleck.

(By the way, the link is below, though I'm not sure if it'll work for all, as this is a pay site.)

https://theathletic.com/203898/2018/01/05/dear-faux-pelini-chocolate-chip-cookies-pat-narduzzi-pitt/

Dear Faux Pelini,

I’m a Pitt fan, and I believe Pat Narduzzi has the program poised for a big season next year. But if we do win nine or 10 games, Narduzzi may be scooped up by one of the so-called ‘destination’ schools. How do we keep these schools’ paws off our coach?

Jim in Paoli

Well Jim,

Congratulations, in one question you have violated two important rules and stumbled onto a third.

A few weeks ago we discussed the Two Rules of Worrying:

Rule of Worrying #1: Don’t worry about things you can’t control (like other teams pursuing your coach).

Rule of Worrying #2: Don’t worry about problems that aren’t problems yet (like Pitt’s imaginary 2018 winning football season).

You must be the kind of guy who searches for things to worry about, because not only did you violate both rules of worrying with your question, you highlighted a third one:

Rule of Worrying #3: Don’t fear problems you actually want to have.

Jim, your football coach exists for one reason: to make your team win football games. Sure, you also want him to graduate players and play nicely with the fans and media, but you only care about those things if the winning is happening. If your coach loses a bunch of games, he’s gone. If he wins, he stays and gets more money.

If Narduzzi does make a lot of 2018 wins happen, your team will be on SportsCenter a lot and go to a bowl game and people will start to notice him. His name will get tossed into the rumor mill and he will start getting attached to open jobs at other schools, and this will annoy you. But that is a necessary part of this process.

Think about it — you want your coach to be coveted by other teams because it will mean he has done his one and only job: winning games for your team. So Jim, you actually want to have the problem you are writing me about today.

There’s an easy way to make sure no school will be interested in your coach: Have him lose a bunch of games. But if that happens, you won’t be interested in him either. Being good means being in demand. You can’t have one without the other.

If the winning happens, you will have gotten what you wanted. And maybe you will lose Narduzzi and maybe you won’t, but either way your team will be better off.

Don’t be afraid of potential bad things that come with achieving a goal. You can deal with those side effects when the time comes.

Never opt into worrying about stuff that you don’t have to. There is enough real stuff out there to worry about. Like Pitt basketball.

Thanks for posting, and so true, could easily be written to our fans.

Faux Pelini summed it up perfectly.

Go Gophers!!

Some Gopher fans are worried about a coach leaving even before they’ve coach their first game at the U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If UCF would’ve gone 6-6 they’d still have frost

Did you buy that helmet? It's awesome. I found the mini-size of that one, but cannot find another one. They are apparently selling out pretty quick.

Some Gopher fans are worried about a coach leaving even before they’ve coach their first game at the U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are on edge...can you blame us?

Top Bottom