FCS Championship Game

To me they rank one step above Hermantown's Hockey team.
Well said. When I was in HS Warroad lost to Burnsville in the semis of the state tournament 4-3 after leading them in the second period. Warroad had an enrollment of 200 and Burnsville's was over 2,000 - at the time the state's largest school. I was imminently more impressed with their effort in that game than I was by any class A titles they or anybody else has won since.

NDSU is smart to stay in the Division they do. Because of recruiting they would have a tough time recruiting enough good players to consistently win at the higher level of FBS football where the competition in a conference would be tougher. It is geography and cost of travel that would work against. They are successful and win championships at that level.Smart as it brings in more donors, and money for their athletic program. Congratulations to the Bison.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Does anyone truly think we would beat them this year?

I don't think so. But I also don't think they'd finish higher than 4th in the west and 10th in the conference. They'd have likely beaten Illinois, Nebraska, and Minnesota this year. They'd have lost to Wisconsin, and lost two out of three games against Northwestern, Iowa, and Purdue. They'd also be capable of beating Rutgers and Maryland (after they lost all their quarterbacks). They'd have a fighting chance against Indiana and would have been beaten by Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, and Michigan. Ohio State and Penn State would blow the doors off of them. 4-5 would have been their ceiling in the Big Ten West, but mix in a few FCS non-conference games and they'd be bowling!

Does anyone truly think we would beat them this year?

It certainly would't be a gimmie, but the two Gopher teams that lost to NDSU were a 1-11 team and a 3-9 team. NDSU was 11-1 in 2007 and 14-1 in 2011. The 2007 Gophers defense gave up 440 points, and the 2011 Gophers defense gave up 380 points. The 2017 Gophers gave up 264 points. The 2017 Gophers offense scored 265 points, which is between 2007's 315 points and 2011's 221 points.

Why do members start threads like this here?

Starts silly arguments like, "look what NDSU can do with players the Gophers overlooked".... Well, there a total of 129 FBS teams that these kids don't play on for some reason or another. You don't want to compete at the games highest level every Saturday? Well then the FCS is the place for you.

Face it, there are what, 6 teams in the FCS that play at a decent level? Thus the competition week in and week out is a joke. If you think there is a correlation to the weekly pounding of a P5 conference schedule, you are delusional.

If you are in an FCS town, fine. Cheer for your team. But unless you live within 50 miles of Fargo, or have a kid going to school there, no one gives a rats a**.

Those are the hard cold facts, and your insecurity complex about it should be embarrassing to you.

I'm trying to figure out why NDSU fans come to the board, we're not rivals. We don't play each other regularly. We're not in same anything

Sad really they need validation

FBS football fans view NDSU the same way NDSU fans view Texas A&M Commerce.

I never even heard of James Madison

(the president yes, the FCS football team, nope)

Their winning streak is quite commendable and more power to them. Congrats.There is a pretty big "however". They've been good for a long time. They've won 6 titles since moving-up to the FCS. Since 1996, here are some teams that moved-up to the next level, D1-A, FBS or CFP.

UAB - 1999
Appalachian State - 2014
Arkansas State - 1992
Boise State - 1996
Buffalo - 1999
UCF - 1996
Connecticut - 2000
Georgia Southern - 2014
LA-Monroe - 1994
Marshall- 1997
Massachusetts - 2012
MTSU - 1999
Nevada Reno - 1992
Old Dominion - 2014
South Florida - 2001
Texas State - 2012
Troy - 2002
Western Kentucky - 2009

This list shows at least 2 things. Teams that move-up can have success at the next level, but that success isn't a sure thing.

The other thing it shows is that the "watering down" of the FBS has been going on for quite awhile now.

NDSU should stay at FBS period for many reasons. The best would be that there is no guarantee of profitability at the next level and the field at the FCS level is gonna continue to be watered down.

It certainly would't be a gimmie, but the two Gopher teams that lost to NDSU were a 1-11 team and a 3-9 team. NDSU was 11-1 in 2007 and 14-1 in 2011. The 2007 Gophers defense gave up 440 points, and the 2011 Gophers defense gave up 380 points. The 2017 Gophers gave up 264 points. The 2017 Gophers offense scored 265 points, which is between 2007's 315 points and 2011's 221 points.

Good analysis. I take it back. Maybe they would not have beaten the Gophers. I think I was going off the last two games of the season where the team looked especially bad.

If Minnesota plays NDSU, they win 11 out of 12 times all day and all night.

It's not even close really. I give NDSU 1 out of 12 simply due to a high amount of injuries, lack of depth.

NDSU gets more mileage than any other school for beating Power 5 teams when they are playing horrible such as the two instances when they beat miserable Gopher teams.

The NDSU team this year was a hellava Lot better (offense & defense) than the one that beat Iowa on the road, the week before Iowa beat a 9-3 MN team in MN. You weren’t 9-3 in year zero. If you really believe this, you need a reality check.

FBS football fans view NDSU the same way NDSU fans view Texas A&M Commerce.

My only comment on Commerce, that’s a damn good team that would be tough to beat. Would love to play them, or play MN State. They are good.

Herd -
So when the Gophers play the Hawks in hockey, who do you cheer for?

My only comment on Commerce, that’s a damn good team that would be tough to beat. Would love to play them, or play MN State. They are good.

I suspect you are in the minority among your peers on wanting to play D2 programs. What's in it for NDSU to do that?

Like it or not, NDSU is the best team in their division. they played other teams under the same rules (scholarships, etc) and they won.

As I keep saying, when the Gophers win something, then they can look down their noses at NDSU. Win first, then talk.

Did we not get lucky to win one and then got hammered the second time we played the Bison? I cannot figure out why Gopher fans, bloggers, and rubes on this board cannot swallow the fact that the Bison have beat us and this year would have embarrassed us again. It does not matter what level you play at, they win championships and beat BIG teams here and there, always on the road. They have a better program and a motivated fan base for reasons we wished we had. Not sure why the hate. We would be bragging too. Maybe in a year or two we are better than them but in year 0 and +1, we are not.

Did we not get lucky to win one and then got hammered the second time we played the Bison? I cannot figure out why Gopher fans, bloggers, and rubes on this board cannot swallow the fact that the Bison have beat us and this year would have embarrassed us again. It does not matter what level you play at, they win championships and beat BIG teams here and there, always on the road. They have a better program and a motivated fan base for reasons we wished we had. Not sure why the hate. We would be bragging too. Maybe in a year or two we are better than them but in year 0 and +1, we are not.

I dont think they'd hammer us, but I'm not entirely sure we beat them, but that's irrelevant.

I would most likely root for NDSU if I didn't find their fans so obnoxious. The reality is if NDSU was the B1G they'd be bottom of the barrel B1G team, just like the gophers. We could most likely dominate FCS if we went down, but there is no way we would.

Honestly, NDSU should join the big boys, but they won't because no P5 team would take them, not out of fear, but because they add nothing. They could maybe be a fit in mountain west, but I think they'd struggle

The NDSU team this year was a hellava Lot better (offense & defense) than the one that beat Iowa on the road, the week before Iowa beat a 9-3 MN team in MN. You weren’t 9-3 in year zero. If you really believe this, you need a reality check.

Hi Kettle, this is pot

Herd -
So when the Gophers play the Hawks in hockey, who do you cheer for?

Live in MN, daughter goes to MN, I cheer for MN in that one. Same when the gophers play any B1G football game.

To me they rank one step above Hermantown's Hockey team.

Why do members start threads like this here?

Starts silly arguments like, "look what NDSU can do with players the Gophers overlooked".... Well, there a total of 129 FBS teams that these kids don't play on for some reason or another. You don't want to compete at the games highest level every Saturday? Well then the FCS is the place for you.

Face it, there are what, 6 teams in the FCS that play at a decent level? Thus the competition week in and week out is a joke. If you think there is a correlation to the weekly pounding of a P5 conference schedule, you are delusional.

If you are in an FCS town, fine. Cheer for your team. But unless you live within 50 miles of Fargo, or have a kid going to school there, no one gives a rats a**.

Those are the hard cold facts, and your insecurity complex about it should be embarrassing to you.

And yet we continue to have a lot of fans who feel intimidated enough to continue posting as to how many ways apparently how inferior NDSU is. I’ve never understood it, never will.

Soooo, they are so terrible and such an inferior program that they;

- put a guy at QB in the NFL that was on his way to being the NFL MVP this season

- have a whopping TWO fewer (8) players in the NFL than the Gophers currently do (10)

I don’t care how you slice it, what they’ve done is pretty impressive.

Worst stadium in college football. Like watching arena ball. Worst game day experience. Piped in noise. No feeling of being on a campus, all the feeling of being a minor league NFL franchise.

Top Bottom