STrib: Reggie Lynch's suspension changes nearly everything for Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The Gophers’ inside lineups — and outside expectations — quickly have changed.

Senior center Reggie Lynch is no longer allowed to play for the Gophers basketball team, and no one is sure if or when he’ll be able to do so again. Last season’s Big Ten defensive player of the year was “suspended from athletic competition” by Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle in the aftermath of an investigation that found Lynch was “responsible” for sexual misconduct an April 2016 incident.

The U’s Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action recommended he be banned from campus until at least August 2020. Lynch will appeal the ruling, sources told the Star Tribune.

The Gophers, who are 13-3 and 2-1 at the start of the Big Ten portion of the season, must now prepare as if they will have to play without one of their best players, a defensive force who arguably has been the best shot blocker in the nation. Lynch’s absence will have a major impact not just on the team’s ability to meet high expectations, but it also changes the landscape of the Big Ten.

Coyle said Lynch, 23, could still practice with the team but will not play, or even be on the team bench, starting with Saturday’s game vs. Indiana at Williams Arena. Whether Lynch ever plays for the Gophers again, coach Richard Pitino said, “I have no idea.”

“Certainly not to make light of this and make it about basketball, but if you’re asking me specifically about basketball, you’ve just got to have the mentality as a team, it’s kind of the ‘next man up’ mentality,” Pitino said. “Our guys, they’re a prideful group and they’re playing well, so they’ve got to be ready for it.”

http://m.startribune.com/reggie-lyn...o-s-gophers/468196363/?section=sports/gophers

Go Gophers!!

If they have proof of sexual misconduct, why allow him back on campus in 2020? Why did he get to play this year in first place? Why does it take 3 months to investigate a 10 minute incident with all parties identified and absolutely zero physical evidence to obtain/analyze? What is that time being spent doing? Apparently he also still gets the practice with team, sit on the sidelines for home games, but not travel with the team.

None of this makes any sense. Either he did something wrong and he's gone, or he didn't and he stays. Another uber-bureaucratic EOAA and Athletic Department cluster F@&$. I'm also getting pretty sick of watching Coyle's Amateur Hour press conferences. He's an awful communicator, and doesn't reflect well on the U, IMO.

Can we petition the Regents to fire everybody and hire some professionals?

If they have proof of sexual misconduct, why allow him back on campus in 2020? Why did he get to play this year in first place? Why does it take 3 months to investigate a 10 minute incident with all parties identified and absolutely zero physical evidence to obtain/analyze? What is that time being spent doing? Apparently he also still gets the practice with team, sit on the sidelines for home games, but not travel with the team.

None of this makes any sense. Either he did something wrong and he's gone, or he didn't and he stays. Another uber-bureaucratic EOAA and Athletic Department cluster F@&$. I'm also getting pretty sick of watching Coyle's Amateur Hour press conferences. He's an awful communicator, and doesn't reflect well on U, IMO.

Can we petition the Regents to fire everybody and hire some professionals?

It's a bureaucratic process for starters, however, you do have to schedule interviews, collect evidence, deliberate, etc.

And while sexual assault isn't complicated (it's wrong), addressing it is. You have to worry about the alleged victim, due process for the accused, legal, PR, and fundraising implications for the U.

Some of those concerns should carry more weight than others. However, for as much as it sounds like bureaucratic BS, which it is, the best action is to have a well-vetted process that takes into account all considerations, and follow it.

It's not ideal for the victim, the accused, PR, etc, but it attempts to strike a middle ground. And while it isn't ideal, it's at least fair.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

Guys....

It's a bureaucratic process for starters, however, you do have to schedule interviews, collect evidence, deliberate, etc.

And while sexual assault isn't complicated (it's wrong), addressing it is. You have to worry about the alleged victim, due process for the accused, legal, PR, and fundraising implications for the U.

Some of those concerns should carry more weight than others. However, for as much as it sounds like bureaucratic BS, which it is, the best action is to have a well-vetted process that takes into account all considerations, and follow it.

It's not ideal for the victim, the accused, PR, etc, but it attempts to strike a middle ground. And while it isn't ideal, it's at least fair.

Men: stay away from the combination of booze, your appetites, and drunk females...

PR implications and fundraising? Seriously?

PR implications and fundraising? Seriously?
I am not sure I follow your point. This is undoubtedly a PR issue... Some people are mad that it's taken this long to have Lynch punished, others believe this is an issue better left to law enforcement and are mad he is being punished. Fundraising is a concern I've seen thrown around, but very much related to PR and probably could've been omitted.

Anyhow, I said there should be varying levels of consideration for the topics. I would hope PR and fundraising would be lesser or non-concerns.

My overall point is that it is essentially impossible for the U to navigate a response that will leave everyone satisfied with the process. To me that seems evident given the responses on this board. I have my own opinions, which I omitted in this thread until the last paragraph.

Men: stay away from the combination of booze, your appetites, and drunk females...

I have no idea on Lynch's situation and it may be clear cut that what he did was assault, but overall the societal situation has become murkier than your rule. We live in a era when the Victorian ideal of men being the safe guard of a female's virtues are gone. Yet at the same time even the consent of a female may not actually be consent. It requires difficult conversations with our young men, but even that may not be enough to avoid some of these situations.

per Marcus:

The Gophers’ inside lineups — and outside expectations — quickly have changed.

Senior center Reggie Lynch is no longer allowed to play for the Gophers basketball team, and no one is sure if or when he’ll be able to do so again. Last season’s Big Ten defensive player of the year was “suspended from athletic competition” by Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle in the aftermath of an investigation that found Lynch was “responsible” for sexual misconduct an April 2016 incident.

The U’s Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action recommended he be banned from campus until at least August 2020. Lynch will appeal the ruling, sources told the Star Tribune.

The Gophers, who are 13-3 and 2-1 at the start of the Big Ten portion of the season, must now prepare as if they will have to play without one of their best players, a defensive force who arguably has been the best shot blocker in the nation. Lynch’s absence will have a major impact not just on the team’s ability to meet high expectations, but it also changes the landscape of the Big Ten.

Coyle said Lynch, 23, could still practice with the team but will not play, or even be on the team bench, starting with Saturday’s game vs. Indiana at Williams Arena. Whether Lynch ever plays for the Gophers again, coach Richard Pitino said, “I have no idea.”

“Certainly not to make light of this and make it about basketball, but if you’re asking me specifically about basketball, you’ve just got to have the mentality as a team, it’s kind of the ‘next man up’ mentality,” Pitino said. “Our guys, they’re a prideful group and they’re playing well, so they’ve got to be ready for it.”

http://m.startribune.com/reggie-lyn...o-s-gophers/468196363/?section=sports/gophers

Go Gophers!!
Is Pitino being set up for the Clayes treatment?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wonder if Pitino will be tweeting out his support for Reggie Lynch soon.

The #Metoo movement actually makes women weaker because they lead themselves to believe they don't have any agency over themselves. This is a turning back to the Victorian era of women, and these "progressive" women don't even realize it.

What? Would Coyle set up a lynching for Dick Pitino? After he extended him? Of course, on Norwood's way out the door he gave Pitino a pay raise and extension too. Perhaps this is setting up for a lynching of Coyle? Probably nothing will happen. Possibly anything could happen.

I don't think so. How will things in the "old boy" world ever change without the "old boys" paying the price and feeling some pain for the outrageous things they have been getting by with since the beginning of time? I have a wife...daughters...sisters...had a mother...have many female friends and over half the population is female. I support women because MANY of the very BEST people I know and have ever known have been and are women. The system has been broken for too long now. CHANGE is good. CHANGE will beget change. Women MUST stand up for themselves and run with the ball. Now is the time. The future will be changed for the better. Common sense tells me that.

I don't think so. How will things in the "old boy" world ever change without the "old boys" paying the price and feeling some pain for the outrageous things they have been getting by with since the beginning of time? I have a wife...daughters...sisters...had a mother...have many female friends and over half the population is female. I support women because MANY of the very BEST people I know and have ever known have been and are women. The system has been broken for too long now. CHANGE is good. CHANGE will beget change. Women MUST stand up for themselves and run with the ball. Now is the time. The future will be changed for the better. Common sense tells me that.

I sincerely hope you are right. An important element in many of these cases is power. While I think it may not have been the main issue with these college cases certainly the high profile cases have involved men in positions of monetary, political or supervisory power. I have 8 amazing Nephews and they give me hope that we see more respect for all people regardless of their social position.

The #Metoo movement actually makes women weaker because they lead themselves to believe they don't have any agency over themselves. This is a turning back to the Victorian era of women, and these "progressive" women don't even realize it.

Make ‘em wear corsets :mad:

I sincerely hope you are right. An important element in many of these cases is power. While I think it may not have been the main issue with these college cases certainly the high profile cases have involved men in positions of monetary, political or supervisory power. I have 8 amazing Nephews and they give me hope that we see more respect for all people regardless of their social position.[/QUOTE

I am sure your nephews are all fine folks are who would never sexually abuse or intimidate women or anyone else. The thing is I do believe is that women need to stand up for themselves in the here and now and DEMAND that sexual abuse will not be tolerated. It is up to we men to support their rights in this regard. Unfortunately we males have failed to do so in the past when we have always been aware that some males have been very guilty about abusing power and position and situations to ignore what an incredibly severe this problem is in the work place, in social settings, in school and in society in general. This IS a huge problem and has been for about as long as males & females have populated the earth, I fear. Make life better for everyone. Support women and their power to take control of their environment in the work place, in society, in their lives. Everyone will be better for it.

Take a drunk girl home...

I sincerely hope you are right. An important element in many of these cases is power. While I think it may not have been the main issue with these college cases certainly the high profile cases have involved men in positions of monetary, political or supervisory power. I have 8 amazing Nephews and they give me hope that we see more respect for all people regardless of their social position.[/QUOTE

I am sure your nephews are all fine folks are who would never sexually abuse or intimidate women or anyone else. The thing is I do believe is that women need to stand up for themselves in the here and now and DEMAND that sexual abuse will not be tolerated. It is up to we men to support their rights in this regard. Unfortunately we males have failed to do so in the past when we have always been aware that some males have been very guilty about abusing power and position and situations to ignore what an incredibly severe this problem is in the work place, in social settings, in school and in society in general. This IS a huge problem and has been for about as long as males & females have populated the earth, I fear. Make life better for everyone. Support women and their power to take control of their environment in the work place, in society, in their lives. Everyone will be better for it.

Drunk Girl

I have no idea on Lynch's situation and it may be clear cut that what he did was assault, but overall the societal situation has become murkier than your rule. We live in a era when the Victorian ideal of men being the safe guard of a female's virtues are gone. Yet at the same time even the consent of a female may not actually be consent. It requires difficult conversations with our young men, but even that may not be enough to avoid some of these situations.
Woodbury Tim, forget Victorianism. If a women ever regrets a drunken liaison, a man with something to lose can easily be destroyed. It's important to know the rules. Guys wait for a well advised marriage. It is the only truly safe sex.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Woodbury Tim, forget Victorianism. If a women ever regrets a drunken liaison, a man with something to lose can easily be destroyed. It's important to know the rules. Guys wait for a well advised marriage. It is the only truly safe sex.

Remember, marriage is not just a word...it’s a sentence.

Honestly, in this day and age, EVEN MARRIAGE doesn't protect a man from needing to follow rules. And being married hasn't stopped some women from using sex as a weapon to injure their husband, sometimes rightfully so, as some women DO or HAVE been raped or sexually abused by their husbands, but on the other side of the coin, some women have falsely accused their husbands and their husbands got into big trouble over it.

I'm totally for women finally sticking up for themselves, and I'm totally in support of marriage, but make sure you marry a good woman that loves you and that has morals and principles, and good ethics.

I have very little faith in humanity anymore, men abuse women, women falsely accuse men, and vice versa, too. Telling lies seems to be the IN thing to do, in business, in politics, in churches, in relationships, in sports, in entertainment, etc..

Ok, I'm getting riled up, I'll shut up and leave it at that.

Honestly, in this day and age, EVEN MARRIAGE doesn't protect a man from needing to follow rules. And being married hasn't stopped some women from using sex as a weapon to injure their husband, sometimes rightfully so, as some women DO or HAVE been raped or sexually abused by their husbands, but on the other side of the coin, some women have falsely accused their husbands and their husbands got into big trouble over it.

I'm totally for women finally sticking up for themselves, and I'm totally in support of marriage, but make sure you marry a good woman that loves you and that has morals and principles, and good ethics.

I have very little faith in humanity anymore, men abuse women, women falsely accuse men, and vice versa, too. Telling lies seems to be the IN thing to do, in business, in politics, in churches, in relationships, in sports, in entertainment, etc..

Ok, I'm getting riled up, I'll shut up and leave it at that.

Excellent post: KillmeNow. Well said.

Top Bottom