Zulgad: Gophers AD does himself no favors with press conference approach

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Judd:

Was it just me or did Mark Coyle make his life far more difficult than it needed to be Friday morning?

Hours after the story broke that basketball player Reggie Lynch had been suspended by the university’s Office for Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action for violating the school’s sexual misconduct policy, the Gophers athletic director faced the media.

That was, or at least appeared to be, the wise move.

Coach Richard Pitino previously had been scheduled to talk at 11:15 Friday morning, but to make Pitino the first person to answer for a situation that goes well beyond basketball would have been foolish.

Unfortunately, what happened after Coyle began his press conference ended up being inexplicable.

Coyle should have been advised to open with a statement explaining that Lynch had been suspended from playing in games (it already had been reported he had filed an appeal by the time Coyle began his presser), but remained eligible to practice, receive medical treatment and have access to an academic adviser.

Coyle also could have taken that opportunity to explain that because of student privacy laws he would be able to provide no information about the EOAA report, or any other details, including the fact that the complaint filed against Lynch dated to an incident that occurred on April 28, 2016. (That pre-dated Coyle’s June 1 start date by more than a month.)

This wouldn’t have been difficult and would have started things out by providing a necessary piece of information and explaining why Coyle was about to say so little.

Only, Coyle didn’t do that.

Coyle is the spokesperson for the Gophers’ athletic department so sending him to speak was the right move. The wrong move was Coyle’s failure to deliver an immediate message. That left him looking like a deer in the headlights. Not exactly the image you want people to see when trying to manage a crisis situation.

http://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2...director-no-favors-press-conference-approach/

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like a new AD is needed to change the culture.

Zulgard

Guess I'm not as critical as most, but I didn't think Coyle did that badly given the situation...but I'm not trying to sell news either and don't just rip people for the sake of ripping someone.

Pretty sure he said all those things during the press conference.

There is a well known saying news writers use - it's "don't bury the lede". Most PR folks also are well aware of that saying. Coyle could have opened with "Reggie is suspended until further notice. Due to privacy rules, I will be limited as to what additional information I may be able to provide today". That would have a better approach for opening the press conference. Mark is very good in the smaller group (not press conference) settings that I've seen him in. No harm in getting a PR professional (from the U or elsewhere) if it is needed. He would not be the first person to benefit from such coaching.

Coyle needs to take public speaking classes. When the spotlight is on him he continues to be awkward, nervous, and not confident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said in another thread - Coyle may be a good guy and a capable administrator.

But he is a terrible communicator. The man should not be allowed anywhere near a camera or microphone.

The way Coyle handled the football situation last year was incredibly shortsighted. He backed himself into a corner and he essentially Pitino/himself more than accountable for the Reggie Lynch situation. If I could pick, today, between having PJ Fleck as a football coach or Claeys, I'd pick PJ Fleck. This isn't a pro-Claeys point that I'm trying to make. However, when the administration used the football situation last year as a Trojan Horse to put in their guy - - they put themselves into an impossible situation on this issue.

I think this is part of the reason that he did not come off well.

The content of what he said? I didn't think there was anything too off with it.
The way he answered the questions?Eh, it's a tough spot. I don't have an issue with how he spoke.
The general narrative surrounding this issue? It's been an absolute failure.

You solve this issue by leaving all this up to the police and prosecutors. Schools should not adjudicate anything beyond academic misconduct.

Top Bottom