Pitino and Coyle press conference regarding the suspension of Reggie Lynch

GopherLady

Reaction score
Not a whole lot here, but this is what I got, not verbatim, just typing as they talked:

Richard Pitino:
• Were you aware of the April investigation of him? Could not really comment on that.
• Why should people have confidence in you? That's up for anyone to decide. We do our best to educate and we'll continue to do that.
• Reggie - we have spoken certainly
• Him at practice? It's unique, gotta get the guys tomorrow ready that are going to play.
• On his teammates? Don't know that.
• Every circumstance is different, I hope this group from a bball standpoint, they're a tight knit group and they're playing well.
• You have the power to suspend the a player? Did you give thought to that? When certain things like this happen, you go to your boss and discuss, and we did that.
• What did you bring to this program to curb situations like this? We bring in speakers every fall and summer, educate as much as we possibly can
• Any possibility he can play? I have no idea how to predict that.
• Cultural problem when it comes to the treatment of women? I don't think we do, we take a lot of pride in our culture and to educate our guys.
• Live outside bball? As a coach, you have to invest in their life 1st and foremost. You have to be a father figure, and educate, that's what this job is about.
• Was it a mistake to recruit him? I don't know. We do a lot of background, and didn't see any red flags leading up to this.
• It's difficult stemming from Eric Curry - you just have to have the mentality as a team, the next man up.
• Why let him practice? When things like this happen you go to your boss. Mark and I discussed it, and that was the decision we came up with. I fully support Mark.
• Meeting with Reggie: Anytime from a bball standpoint, it's difficult for your team. I have a locker room full of guys that I have to tend to
• Suspension is not enough? There's policies to handle these things. I trust Mark.
• Do these policies need to change? I'm just the basketball coach.

Mark Coyle:
• What I can say is, and I know it's frustrating, because of student privacy laws…we're restricted on what we can and cannot say. I can't talk about specific cases.

• Why did you allow him to play? I can talk about a process, we have 750 student athletes, it's important that we provide due process to all our student athletes.

• Why were the football players suspended? With our process that's in place, with any student athlete, if there's a criminal investigation taking place, they cannot take place.

• Is Reggie still on the team? Yes. He is a member of our basketball team.

• Allegations against Lynch? I have many meetings with many people, I cannot recall

• He's suspended from athletic competition. I can't talk about specifics.

• Any student on this campus, don't talk about student-athlete, they all have access to the same policies and procedures, and they can appeal.
• When did the decision come? That was the decision that I made today. I involved Coach Pitino.

• Any team activities? No, he's just suspended from athletic competition, he can still practice.

• Meeting with Abby? I did have an opportunity to meet with her, she was very interested in training with our student athletes.

• Did you remember her concerns? We had a very productive meeting.

• On Appeal process: I encourage you to go to the U website, any student on this campus, when they go through this process, they have an opportunity to file that appeal.

• Why does this keep happening? I think we've been very consistent in our processes. I'm thankful for EOAA. We've taken time to meet with all of our groups. We're a large organization.
• This isn't just any players, there were allegations. Should you keep your job? We have worked incredible hard to provide a 1st class experience for any athlete that comes to our program. We talked about being defined by our actions….each time we are faced with a situation…I feel like we've been very consistent.
• Why should people trust you and Pitino? People should trust the procedures that we have in place. We have procedures that have been reviewed by outside agencies. That includes providing due process for everyone involved.
• Why did you suspend him from athletic competition, but not practice? We want to make sure that person has access to
• How thorough are the EOAA investigations? There's a process that every student goes through.
• Is there anything that can happen where the suspension could be lifted? If information becomes available on any student athlete.
• This is not a surprise, does a student have to come forward and make those claims? I'd encourage you to visit with EOAA.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounds like a pretty hostile Q and A. Thanks Nadine.

"Was it a mistake to recruit him?"

Honest answer:
Yeah it's too bad I didn't do more asking around of folks at Bloomington Jefferson, Edina, and Illinois State Univ, because they sure seem to be crawling out of the woodwork now! Ho ho!

"Was it a mistake to recruit him?"

Honest answer:
Yeah it's too bad I didn't do more asking around of folks at Bloomington Jefferson, Edina, and Illinois State Univ, because they sure seem to be crawling out of the woodwork now! Ho ho!

STFU. It's not even a realistic - or constitutional - option. There is a certain reason why background checks are allowed to cover specific areas. Setting the precedent that any employer, coach or school could dig into anyone's personal, sexual history would be horrible and embarrassing for more people in the population than not. Again, you're just trying to set a bar that's nowhere close to real and hold it to the U for your personal crusade

STFU. It's not even a realistic - or constitutional - option. There is a certain reason why background checks are allowed to cover specific areas. Setting the precedent that any employer, coach or school could dig into anyone's personal, sexual history would be horrible and embarrassing for more people in the population than not. Again, you're just trying to set a bar that's nowhere close to real and hold it to the U for your personal crusade

Pretty sure that was sarcasm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I mean asking Coyle why he thinks he should be able to keep his job? Really?

Check out her (Rochelle Olson) twitter feed. Is she a reporter or a columnist? She's going hard after Pitino.

I have no crusade.

It has come to light that Lynch was known on at least the two Minnesota high school campuses for what he was. Why wouldn't (or shouldn't) a coach be able to ask around, about that? Not an official background check .... call it personal due diligence. That is not against the law. Maybe you ask the high school coaches "hey I heard such and such ... what do you think about that?". Maybe you call up some parents. Etc.

Now it's a question of if Pitino simply didn't do that, or did and ignored it. And if he didn't, was that negligence or just a mistake?

Check out her (Rochelle Olson) twitter feed. Is she a reporter or a columnist? She's going hard after Pitino.

Maybe she feels this is her chance to make a break for herself. Journalist is cutthroat. You have to make a name for yourself.

I have no crusade.

It has come to light that Lynch was known on at least the two Minnesota high school campuses for what he was. Why wouldn't (or shouldn't) a coach be able to ask around, about that? Not an official background check .... call it personal due diligence. That is not against the law. Maybe you ask the high school coaches "hey I heard such and such ... what do you think about that?". Maybe you call up some parents. Etc.

Now it's a question of if Pitino simply didn't do that, or did and ignored it. And if he didn't, was that negligence or just a mistake?

These are former students who are posting about these rumors. Sure, a coach is going to talk to HS coaches and administrators, but obviously they didn't say "Reggie's a bit rapey." Surely you understand that a college coach is not going to walk the halls of a HS or sneak into teenage parties to try and research what teenagers are saying about each other. Again, PLEASE get real

Surely you understand that a college coach is not going to walk the halls of a HS or sneak into teenage parties to try and research what teenagers are saying about each other.

I do understand that. Of course, it is a valid point.

This situation is not a binary 0-Coach you did nothing wrong, 1-Coach this is entirely your fault. You need to realize and accept that there are levels of gray to be shared by many people in the process that brought Lynch to Minnesota.

I do understand that. Of course, it is a valid point.

This situation is not a binary 0-Coach you did nothing wrong, 1-Coach this is entirely your fault. You need to realize and accept that there are levels of gray to be shared by many people in the process that brought Lynch to Minnesota.

Okay, so then we need to hold every teacher, administrator, coach, parent at Bloomington Jefferson, Edina, Illinois State and the U who ever had contact with Reggie Lynch accountable for his private actions. Because clearly, as an adult who comes in contact with teenagers/young adults, you are supposed to know what each person's peers are secretly saying about their sex life/weekend activities.

As a former PR professional, this response from Pitino made me cringe. It sounds like he pulled it directly from his dad's Q&A playbook, and that's not a good thing. He needs to be more aware of how a response like this can be construed as flippant and arrogant, which doesn't help him or the program.

I'm not sure what the timetable is for the appeal process is, but the one thing the University could do that seems fair to all sides is to expedite the process. It appears that this is basically a he said, she said situation. The incident was not reported or investigated until much later after it occurred, so there can be little, if any physical evidence. Since the incident happened in a private dorm room there are likely no direct eyewitnesses. So let's get both parties involved together with whatever board hears the appeal, and let them decide which side they believe to be more credible. Letting Lynch continue to practice and be with the team for weeks or months while this drags on is not a good situation for anyone involved. So lets get this decided quickly, and let everyone move on regardless of what the decision is.

I'm not sure what the timetable is for the appeal process is, but the one thing the University could do that seems fair to all sides is to expedite the process. It appears that this is basically a he said, she said situation. The incident was not reported or investigated until much later after it occurred, so there can be little, if any physical evidence. Since the incident happened in a private dorm room there are likely no direct eyewitnesses. So let's get both parties involved together with whatever board hears the appeal, and let them decide which side they believe to be more credible. Letting Lynch continue to practice and be with the team for weeks or months while this drags on is not a good situation for anyone involved. So lets get this decided quickly, and let everyone move on regardless of what the decision is.
I say kick him off the team. don't care what happens to the appeal process. he is a distraction, caused by his own doing. Pitino should have the authority to cut him. and he should use it

As a former PR professional, this response from Pitino made me cringe. It sounds like he pulled it directly from his dad's Q&A playbook, and that's not a good thing. He needs to be more aware of how a response like this can be construed as flippant and arrogant, which doesn't help him or the program.

It's a smart answer. If he believes that the processes need to change and he answers that way- he gets slaughtered because it makes it look like he is defending Reggie and not the accuser. If he believes that the processes are good as they are he would have answered that way. So obviously he believes that the processes are not quite right, but that being honest about it would only throw additional coals on the fire. We live in a day and age where people will only accept the answer they want to hear or else you are some kind of "ist" or "phobe" in there eyes. So he is better saying - he's just the coach. And no, that is not a page our of Pitino Srs. playbook- Jr. has done nothing wrong here.

It's a smart answer. If he believes that the processes need to change and he answers that way- he gets slaughtered because it makes it look like he is defending Reggie and not the accuser. If he believes that the processes are good as they are he would have answered that way. So obviously he believes that the processes are not quite right, but that being honest about it would only throw additional coals on the fire. We live in a day and age where people will only accept the answer they want to hear or else you are some kind of "ist" or "phobe" in there eyes. So he is better saying - he's just the coach. And no, that is not a page our of Pitino Srs. playbook- Jr. has done nothing wrong here.
I don't know Pitino so this is pure speculation. but deep down I would think he would want Reggie off the team. The only reason Reggie is not expelled from the team is because of the procedures. once the appeal is over he is gone (assuming he doesn't win the appeal). I would think Pitino would rather get rid of this distraction as soon as possible, but there are procedural and perhaps legal rules that are preventing him from cutting ties.

so when Pitino says he thinks better procedures should be in place, he could mean he wish he could just kick Reggie off the team

"Why were the football players suspended? With our process that's in place, with any student athlete, if there's a criminal investigation taking place, they cannot take place. "

There is no criminal investigation. This is an investigation by the EEOA.

FWIW - Even if you believe Mark Coyle is handling this the right way, and he is 100% correct in his actions, the U needs to find a way to keep him off camera and away from any microphones.

The guy is not a good communicator, and he just doesn't come off well in public situations.

Some people can stand at a podium, tell bald-faced lies, and come off as believable. Coyle, unfortunately, is one of those people who can stand at a podium, tell the truth, and come off as insincere or not believable. It's a combination of his body language, attitude, tone of voice - everything. He may very well be a capable behind-the-scenes administrator, but as a front man for the athletic department, he's a liability. The Gophs need to find someone in the athletic department to handle public situations, and keep Coyle away from the media.

+10000000

FWIW - Even if you believe Mark Coyle is handling this the right way, and he is 100% correct in his actions, the U needs to find a way to keep him off camera and away from any microphones.

The guy is not a good communicator, and he just doesn't come off well in public situations.

Some people can stand at a podium, tell bald-faced lies, and come off as believable. Coyle, unfortunately, is one of those people who can stand at a podium, tell the truth, and come off as insincere or not believable. It's a combination of his body language, attitude, tone of voice - everything. He may very well be a capable behind-the-scenes administrator, but as a front man for the athletic department, he's a liability. The Gophs need to find someone in the athletic department to handle public situations, and keep Coyle away from the media.

That's what press people and SID's are for. Eventually, the one making the decisions has to take some questions, though.

WTF...........the Lady asking Pitino if it was smart to recruit Reggie and she also asked Coyle if he should be fired(this happened before he was hired)

WTF...........the Lady asking Pitino if it was smart to recruit Reggie and she also asked Coyle if he should be fired(this happened before he was hired)

Homework is overrated, especially if it would prevent you from getting a bunch of attention in social media.

Homework is overrated, especially if it would prevent you from getting a bunch of attention in social media.

for whatever it is worth, she was live tweeting the press conference and getting 0 interaction. one like or RT here and there. but that was it. if she was looking to build her social media following, she failed

for whatever it is worth, she was live tweeting the press conference and getting 0 interaction. one like or RT here and there. but that was it. if she was looking to build her social media following, she failed

Then why do I know about her take from this board? I must be a real insider. Is she a real journalist or an activist of some kind that crashed the presser? Can anyone go into those things?

It is apparent that only people with vaginas should ever play sports at UMN. s/ [emoji41]

Top Bottom