Basketball talk: Where does the team go from here?

When the everything was done in the summer, Curry & Coffey were healthy and we didn’t know what Lynch had done in April, 2016. Therefore, dumb take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. I criticized the Matz deal at the time on the grounds that the front court was not safe. Only a person who believes that nothing can go wrong would think that is a "dumb" concern.

Go back over the last few years and count all the players who have been injured, suspended, or transferred. Being confident that we will have a solid rotation that remains intact throughout the whole season seems, in light of the evidence, "dumb" to me.

I disagree. I criticized the Matz deal at the time on the grounds that the front court was not safe. Only a person who believes that nothing can go wrong would think that is a "dumb" concern.

Go back over the last few years and count all the players who have been injured, suspended, or transferred. Being confident that we will have a solid rotation that remains intact throughout the whole season seems, in light of the evidence, "dumb" to me.

Gilbert left in the Spring. Could we have gotten anyone who would really make a difference? Especially now that we're down 3 of our top 7 guys? I doubt it.

As opposed to relying on two sr Big men who are two of the worse 4 year scholarship players in recent history. Being all in this year was all the more reason to go and get someone in case something did happen. Matz is nothing but a favor to his dad poor choice then worse now. This is minnesota sports always assume the worse.

[QUOTE
=howeda7;1501434]Gilbert left in the Spring. Could we have gotten anyone who would really make a difference? Especially now that we're down 3 of our top 7 guys? I doubt it.[/QUOTE]

Gilbert left in the Spring. Could we have gotten anyone who would really make a difference? Especially now that we're down 3 of our top 7 guys? I doubt it.

Of course we would have had a chance to get a difference maker. We got one the year before. I believe there were over 700 DI players who transferred last year and there had to be more than 100 of them who were grad transfers.

Of course we would have had a chance to get a difference maker. We got one the year before. I believe there were over 700 DI players who transferred last year and there had to be more than 100 of them who were grad transfers.
Its all about the effort...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Find where the Indian graveyard is buried underneath the Barn and relocate them all.

Little Richard is going to the NIT Hall of Fame!

+1000. But he is a great recruiter despite his 29-47 big ten record. I am not saying fire him but I get tired of hearing about his recruiting. 1 NCAA appearance, 0 wins and a .381 conference winning percentage are not my expectations nor should it be the u’s. If this season ends with another nit time to start asking some tough questions. Get anyone you want in here, coaching ability, roster construction, and ability to motivate are all just as important. We will be heading into next year with one natural ball handler, and he has a lot left to prove he is big ten caliber pg.

QUOTE=GopherVotary;1501588]Little Richard is going to the NIT Hall of Fame![/QUOTE]

+1000. But he is a great recruiter despite his 29-47 big ten record. I am not saying fire him but I get tired of hearing about his recruiting. 1 NCAA appearance, 0 wins and a .381 conference winning percentage are not my expectations nor should it be the u’s. If this season ends with another nit time to start asking some tough questions. Get anyone you want in here, coaching ability, roster construction, and ability to motivate are all just as important. We will be heading into next year with one natural ball handler, and he has a lot left to prove he is big ten caliber pg.

QUOTE=GopherVotary;1501588]Little Richard is going to the NIT Hall of Fame!
[/QUOTE]

I’d say next year is the next big judgement year for him. Some will judge him for this year but things went terribly wrong. If you blame him for lynch issue and curry injury...you’re going to want him gone this year.

Bench is thin, but honestly probably half the teams in the country probably have only 8-9 guys who are high level guys.

Also the fact that this incident happened with Lynch before pitino really started to turn thing around impacts my judgement of it. If allegations came out that occurred in 2017 I would say it would cause me to judge Pitino more.

Next year they have to be better and show that they will be a perennial ceiling is final four floor is the bubble team. Or I’ll be frustrated.

I do judge him for today a bit. Konate is not a player capable of successfully playing the amount of minutes he did today. Pitino did a horrible job managing minutes today imo and I think it cost the team the game. He didn’t play small nearly enough. The counter argument is they struggled to rebound...I’d say the reason they struggled to rebound was because of Konate not in spite of Konate. He needs to play fewer than 15 minutes if the gophers are going to win games in the big ten.

Next year we get rid of konate and deidhiou - Oturu, omersa, stockman, curry , Hurt, Murphy & Fitzgerald the bigs, mcbrayer, Washington, Harris, coffey , kalshaur as guards - looks like a 12deep rotation - We don’t know what we have in Oturu, omersa, stockman and kalshaur, but from video, they are head and shoulders better than konate and diedeu. If I were pitino I would give IW, Harris , Hurt, Fitzgerald minutes to get them experience for next year and not konate or diedhieu.

I’d love to see the video that makes you believe Stockman is head and shoulders above anyone. He has done less than Konate in his 3 years at Louisville. I also don’t see a back up point guard listed(assuming Washington is the starter long ways to go on that).

Next year we get rid of konate and deidhiou - Oturu, omersa, stockman, curry , Hurt, Murphy & Fitzgerald the bigs, mcbrayer, Washington, Harris, coffey , kalshaur as guards - looks like a 12deep rotation - We don’t know what we have in Oturu, omersa, stockman and kalshaur, but from video, they are head and shoulders better than konate and diedeu. If I were pitino I would give IW, Harris , Hurt, Fitzgerald minutes to get them experience for next year and not konate or diedhieu.

I’d love to see the video that makes you believe Stockman is head and shoulders above anyone. He has done less than Konate in his 3 years at Louisville. I also don’t see a back up point guard listed(assuming Washington is the starter long ways to go on that).

Have you seen stockman in the huddles - he is a head above everybody literally-you can’t teach size - his videos show a player more skilled than konate , but he doesn’t seem very aggressive - if he doesn’t play anything more than konate minutes , it’s still an upgrade- plus Oturu, curry will get 5 spot minutes - omersa backs up Murphy - small forward is a log jam. Combo of Washington, mcbrayer and Coffey at point - combo of mcbrayer, Coffey, kaulasheur, fitz, Hurt, Harris at 2 and3 spots

Ok I will give you that literally he is head and shoulders our seats are behind the bench. Log jam at small forward? Who am I missing Coffey can play the others have shown nothing. If mcbrayer is your back up pg that is going to be a long season.

Where do we go from here? We cheer on the team the rest of the season, realize that expectations need to be greatly lowered, and hope (again) for NEXT year.

Well, yes, I guess that's the bottom line. We're not as bad off as we were two years ago and I kept watching (until the last game or two after the bottom completely dropped off) then. We still have some chance of making the NIT (we'd need at least 18 wins - won't be easy). The primary motivation will be to see how much the bench players can develop.

Have you seen stockman in the huddles - he is a head above everybody literally-you can’t teach size - his videos show a player more skilled than konate , but he doesn’t seem very aggressive - if he doesn’t play anything more than konate minutes , it’s still an upgrade-

Agreed. As much as I was against the Stockman scholarship, I believed then and still do that he will help the team when he plays. As a European big man he's probably decent enough when it comes to fundamental skills.

If at least one of Washington or Fitzgerald aren't starting on Wednesday I'll be disappointed. You can't have 40% of your starting lineup unable to score.

Small ball for good chunks of time.

Mason
MacBrayer
Washington
Coffey
Murphy

Very small sample size, and in an exhibition game, but Murphy did well against Cole Aldrich in a game at the pro-am this summer.

I believe, at this point it's play your best 5 as much as possible, which is the 5 listed above.

I still contend that this is the path we should have taken from the beginning of the debacle. Only one game, but we looked the best we have on Saturday (since things changed), and that's with Hurt and Harris replacing Coffey. Hopefully they keep it up, as it will be huge for the development of Hurt, Harris and Washington. Playing Konate and Gaston accomplishes nothing for us at this point.

Top Bottom