Basketball talk: Where does the team go from here?

Bakary starts. Ghaston has looked solid in the minutes he's played this season. He even looks comfortable with the ball. So I am not too worried. I think Murphy will have to play more minutes, but other then that I don't think the Gophers should change much

Up to the Illinois game Lynch has not played well this season but the way he played Wednesday night the Gophers might have been B1G contenders this year, with Murphy and Coffey supporting Bakary and Ghaston they should be solidly in the hunt for a NCAA tournament bid, can't get in foul trouble though and Fitzpatrick has to step up big time.

If Coffey and Hurt step up I believe the Gophers are still an NCAA tournament team

The Gophers will have to change their defensive philosophy. They were a man to man, cover the guards up high and funnel everything to the basket team.

Maybe a different look each time down the court?

First and foremost, let me express that the findings in regards to Reggie and his past actions are far greater than a game of basketball. I sincerely hope that the victims are able to cope with any struggles they've endured as a result and that they are able to find the strength to press forward as justice is served to Reggie. I also hope that this serves as a wake-up call to Reggie by making him re-evaluate who he wants to be as a person and hopefully he can make drastic changes to how he treats women.

That being said, this thread is meant to discuss strictly basketball implications of the team going forward as it does have a huge impact on the team we all root for.

Some questions to start some dialogue...

1) How are Reggie's minutes going to be divided now and what will the lineup look like? Is it just going to be as simple as Bakary/Gaston splitting minutes or could we see extremely small lineups at times with Murph and Fitzgerald in the frontcourt?

2) Is this still an NCAA Tournament team / do ya'll even see them having a square opportunity to even get there now?

3) Can the hardship and turmoil potentially benefit the program in any way for next year? (i.e. underclassmen stepping up to the plate and performing at a higher level because of the added responsibility?) After this season, next season is going to feel like a relief with the additions of Oturu, Curry, and Stockman back into the frontcourt.
The team will rebound, find ways to fill the holes and will be fine. I predict a win vs Indiana.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Scrap and claw and try and find their way to 10 or 11 conference wins. At this point any tourney bid is a massive success. I think Murphy is gonna have to play a lot of center whenever he isn't totally outmatched.

I think it will be a major accomplishment to finish above .500 in league but its not impossible. Lynch WAS the interior defense for this team, so its going to be ugly around the rim.

Bakary will give it his all but he's at his ceiling. Fitzgerald? Hurt? These guys are going to need to give us something we have not seen yet.

Kontae will get more time from this but not all 25.. Hurt will get some extra time, Gas will get a few mins... And lets hope Fitz can provide some quality mins, this is his big chance.

Whole situation obviously sucks. Two guys I'm hoping can develop with more minutes for this post season and next year: Fitzgerald and Harris. Both have it in them to play a bigger role..

Seems to me that Konate has been gaining confidence the last few weeks. Is it possible that him knowing that he HAS to play a lot of minutes (no matter what) can serve to take the pressure off and provide a further jolt of confidence? It's common for athletes to suffer in the confidence area when playing on a shorter leash with less playing time. You're just playing tighter and more timid because you know you could be yanked at any second. He's just always looked like a guy that's underachieving/having confidence issues. Could turn out to be the opposite, but we must hope for the best! He's a really good kid too from what I've seen/heard - I really root for him!

Seems to me that Konate has been gaining confidence the last few weeks. Is it possible that him knowing that he HAS to play a lot of minutes (no matter what) can serve to take the pressure off and provide a further jolt of confidence? It's common for athletes to suffer in the confidence area when playing on a shorter leash with less playing time. You're just playing tighter and more timid because you know you could be yanked at any second. He's just always looked like a guy that's underachieving/having confidence issues. Could turn out to be the opposite, but we must hope for the best! He's a really good kid too from what I've seen/heard - I really root for him!

I can attest, Bakary's a great guy. And I'm talking completely separate from basketball. Good guy on and off the court. He's had his struggles and is limited talent wise but its hard not to root like crazy for him. Who knows, maybe he can surprise. Anyone remember the Wisconsin game from 3 years ago? He showed some nice promise in extended minutes. I'm setting expectations low and anything more is gravy IMO.

I was at the IRON Five game. Things will work out.

I was too. It was inspiring for one night, but the season did crater after that. The math caught up without enough bodies to compete. It also took another four years to get competitive again. This is not in that category and I hope against hope we don't have to see any of that relived.

Well, with the possibility of Coffey missing significant time as well, this season may go downhill, fast. Reminds me of the year Nolen got hurt and Joseph had transferred. A promising season was quickly derailed.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

well at least providence beat xavier today so that helps the resume

Banking a scholarship and using one on a guy that averaged 1.7 points to sit out is showing its ugly head. Poor decision then awful now. Like to hear him admit that and learn from it.

Well, with the possibility of Coffey missing significant time as well, this season may go downhill, fast. Reminds me of the year Nolen got hurt and Joseph had transferred. A promising season was quickly derailed.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

This is MN sports in a nutshell.

Banking a scholarship and using one on a guy that averaged 1.7 points to sit out is showing its ugly head. Poor decision then awful now. Like to hear him admit that and learn from it.
Gooood luck with all that then.

Where do we go from here? We cheer on the team the rest of the season, realize that expectations need to be greatly lowered, and hope (again) for NEXT year.

Where do we go from here? We cheer on the team the rest of the season, realize that expectations need to be greatly lowered, and hope (again) for NEXT year.
Umm... yeah... that's just not acceptable at this point. That's like saying, "Hey, it's year zero."

Richard not playing small yet in this game concerns me.

Hopefully Gopher basketball is getting an extra dose of bad luck to make up for the Vikings Super Bowl win.

If he tells the media that having a player that is currently on the team is a mistake to have, IMO it would be an offense that would lose that player forever. You cannot realistically expect a coach to tell the media having a guy on the team is a mistake when he is still on the team.

Umm... yeah... that's just not acceptable at this point. That's like saying, "Hey, it's year zero."

I’m just being sadly realistic. What is a better, realistic alternative? It should be a very solid squad next season.

I’m just being sadly realistic. What is a better, realistic alternative?
I have promised not to offer up my opinion on that topic this early in the season. The Admins and Mods brought Guido and Rocko over to discuss the merits of restraining ones opinion until the appropriate time.

When the everything was done in the summer, Curry & Coffey were healthy and we didn’t know what Lynch had done in April, 2016. Therefore, dumb take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have promised not to offer up my opinion on that topic this early in the season. The Admins and Mods brought Guido and Rocko over to discuss the merits of restraining ones opinion until the appropriate time.

You're a moron. You have offered you opinion on the topic since the start of the season. Why stop now.

Mason, McBreyer, Washington, Fitzgerald, Murphy until (if) Amir comes back.

Top Bottom