Rumors tonight of Lynch no longer on Gopher team...

Well, this sucks!

It he appeals and is able to play and graduate he gets absolutely no punishment if he is guilty. Which is just downright crap. He certainly appears to have a list of people showing he has tendencies which get him into these situations.

On the other hand, if he is NOT allowed to play and is proven innocent. Then he and the team suffer unnecessarily.

In either case the victim is wronged and will get no peace either way in my opinion.

As for Pitino, he likely knew about the investigation and decided to let Reggie play on. I feel he did this after making the decision to not force Gaston to transfer or take back his scholarship allowing him to get another big. He probably decided that was the right thing to do and live with the possibility Reggie could get hung out to dry. Unfortunately, Curry's injury makes this just awful for the basketball season.

So is Pitino a good guy for letting Gaston keep his scholly or a bad guy for letting a potential serial sex offender play while under investigation? I'm gonna assume he is a good guy and was put in a jam where he had to count on his player. Not his fault if Reggie lied to him and he believed him.

Personally, I would have shown Gaston the directions to Directional University, signed a competent backup center AND played Reggie! But I have the luxury of not being a public university employee.

Oh, and all you guys saying the U should get rid of the EOAA need to move to Alabama, Florida State or to another "Sports Come First school"! Cause the University of Minnesota is bigger than Reggie Lynch and the basketball team and that cannot be compromised. Ethics are more important than 1 successful basketball season for a school with so many unsuccessful ones.

By the way, FSU has an EOAA.

Was only a matter of time before this popped up. McNeil was Pitino's first recruit to the U of M.

This is going to get ugly.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He was a kid who lost both his parents to murder/drugs in Baltimore. Pitino tried to give him an opportunity to better himself. If anyone is implying that Pitino should have known that McNeil would allegedly commit murder because of how he grew up, isn't that a little bit discriminatory? Isn't the point of scholarships to try and give kids who wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity the chance to change their lives and better themselves?

Wow. She is accusing multiple schools - high schools and universities - and police departments of covering up his actions for 6+ years? Am I reading that right? Maybe I'm naive, but I have a hard time believing if all these allegations had been made and all these different victims had come forward over such a long period of time, there HAS to be some kind of paperwork trail, right? Otherwise, you're talking about a Hollywood-level coverup for by MULTIPLE authorities and agencies all for a solid-but-not-great B10 basketball player. I guess I believe that it's likely he has had a certain reputation since HS, but I'm not sure I can swallow what I think this post is alleging as far as all these "complicit" parties.

The other thing that bothers me about this kind of post on social media is that it comes from a woman who has never spoken to Reggie, who didn't have any contact with him, but just saw "him at a distance at some parties", yet because of recent events and the way social media works, this post will be passed off as fact by many who read it.

I don't think she's accusing anyone of a "cover-up", just that multiple authorities were made aware and didn't have enough evidence to take action. Which is ok, but I think she's saying when there is such a clear pattern, these agencies should try everything in their power to prevent future incidents, instead of just saying "sorry not enough evidence". I don't think she's accusing anyone of having clear-cut evidence and covering it up.

There is so much to comment on in this thread!

1. It's not as though the University woke up to this news like the rest of us. They've been involved in this process for a while, and made a judgment that was in their best interest. Whether or not you agree with it from a criminal investigation standpoint is a separate issue. He was investigated and has been suspended.

2. Good riddance to an individual that had it coming. I hope that he is the last rapist that signs to play for the Gophers.

3. Why do some posters insist on believing that there is a high rate of false accusations? https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/Publications_NSVRC_Overview_False-Reporting.pdf
Here is a link to some information. This article suggests that false accusations fall somewhere in the range of 2-10%. Now let's play with some numbers here. Let's just call it 10%. If BOTH of Reggie's formal accusations were false, that would mean that he really hit the jackpot with a 1% chance of being found guilty. Now extrapolate that with the other "rumors". Keep in mind, this is WITHOUT any actual information about his case, which would obviously only lead toward a better informed decision by the powers that be.

4. Question about false accusations. Why would a woman want to be involved in a rape/sexual assault investigation? From bringing up memories, being associated with the individual who assaulted you, legal processes, etc... These are a smattering of reasons why the low rate of false accusations exists.

5. Regarding basketball. This team was going to struggle with their bench, so I'm not overly concerned about what could have been. I'm glad that Reggie is off the team, and that other players will be forced to get more run.

6. 2019 and beyond looks promising. Enough with the curse-speak. Geeeeez, talk about a self-loathing fan base. How about the fact that a coach is basically obligated to take a chance on low-character individuals when trying to build a program up from very little. With more low-character dudes hanging around, more of these types of incidents are likely to occur. See McNeil, Lynch, Dorsey, Lofton, Morris, etc... It looks as though the caliber of individual on campus continues to get better. I think that Coffey, Hurt, IW, Harris, and the 2018 class are a great example of this. The win win scenario is to get high character and high basketball talent individuals, we're getting closer to that every year. Basically, you make your own luck, and I think this program is trending the right way.

7. This season's not over. In a relatively weak B1G, Pitino needs to get creative with lineups and find ways to edge out victories, it can be done.

Wow. Some strong opinion supression going on. Fair enough, it's your board.

The media will catch on, and will turn up the heat.

Yeah, as someone from Bloomington this sums up my thoughts pretty well

It’s a shame that Pitino didn’t do his research on Lynch before bringing him on board. It sounds like he and the staff could have learned of his past and not taken the chance.

I have no idea if the allegations against Reggie are legit or not. But two things are 100% clear:

*Reggie is a creep, at best. Anyone who follows him on Instagram knows this.

*The EOAA is a dangerous, destructive organization that must have its powers checked.

I have no idea if this allegations against Reggie are legit or not. But two things are 100% clear:

*Reggie is a creep, at best. Anyone who follows him on Instagram knows this.

*The EOAA is a dangerous, destructive organization that must have it's powers checked.

Whatever your complaints are of the EOAA process with some other players, you’re cool with this behavior continuing even with ca relatively clear pattern that you’ve stated? One could say that the EOAA is doing its job of stopping predatory behavior in this case that law enforcement could not due to the nature of tough to prove, “he said/she said” situations.

There is so much to comment on in this thread!

1. It's not as though the University woke up to this news like the rest of us. They've been involved in this process for a while, and made a judgment that was in their best interest. Whether or not you agree with it from a criminal investigation standpoint is a separate issue. He was investigated and has been suspended.

2. Good riddance to an individual that had it coming. I hope that he is the last rapist that signs to play for the Gophers.

3. Why do some posters insist on believing that there is a high rate of false accusations? https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/Publications_NSVRC_Overview_False-Reporting.pdf
Here is a link to some information. This article suggests that false accusations fall somewhere in the range of 2-10%. Now let's play with some numbers here. Let's just call it 10%. If BOTH of Reggie's formal accusations were false, that would mean that he really hit the jackpot with a 1% chance of being found guilty. Now extrapolate that with the other "rumors". Keep in mind, this is WITHOUT any actual information about his case, which would obviously only lead toward a better informed decision by the powers that be.

4. Question about false accusations. Why would a woman want to be involved in a rape/sexual assault investigation? From bringing up memories, being associated with the individual who assaulted you, legal processes, etc... These are a smattering of reasons why the low rate of false accusations exists.

5. Regarding basketball. This team was going to struggle with their bench, so I'm not overly concerned about what could have been. I'm glad that Reggie is off the team, and that other players will be forced to get more run.

6. 2019 and beyond looks promising. Enough with the curse-speak. Geeeeez, talk about a self-loathing fan base. How about the fact that a coach is basically obligated to take a chance on low-character individuals when trying to build a program up from very little. With more low-character dudes hanging around, more of these types of incidents are likely to occur. See McNeil, Lynch, Dorsey, Lofton, Morris, etc... It looks as though the caliber of individual on campus continues to get better. I think that Coffey, Hurt, IW, Harris, and the 2018 class are a great example of this. The win win scenario is to get high character and high basketball talent individuals, we're getting closer to that every year. Basically, you make your own luck, and I think this program is trending the right way.

7. This season's not over. In a relatively weak B1G, Pitino needs to get creative with lineups and find ways to edge out victories, it can be done.

Agree 100%. Thank you for writing such a good post.

Whatever your complaints are of the EOAA process with some other players, you’re cool with this behavior continuing even with ca relatively clear pattern that you’ve stated? One could say that the EOAA is doing its job of stopping predatory behavior in this case that law enforcement could not due to the nature of tough to prove, “he said/she said” situations.

Never said that, this isn't an either/or situation.

I'm not gonna disagree with you on that. So what do you suggest? Does everyone lose their jobs?
As a culture, we are in the midst of figuring out how to handle people who practice sexual assault in their interpersonal life. As a woman, let me inform you that you all have or have had male friends who don't or won't understand and respect lines that need respecting. HOWEVER! most people do not have this problem!!
As previously stated, its unfortunate that we've in practice given permission for this behavior. How do you think it will stop? Yes, some people should lose their jobs because in a hundred ways they've been told its wrong but theyve ignored it RE: no consequence.

Are you freaking kidding me? Why? From the way I understand it, these athletes can get almost any girl they want. Why would this happen?

Used to wonder the same thing, but I think with all of that comes a major sense of entitlement with some athletes/celebrities.

Regardless of your opinion of Reggie, EOAA, etc, why hasn't anyone discussed how this situation came to light. It seems to me that if this report wasn't leaked to the pioneer press, Reggie would have been allowed to continue all activities on campus while his appeal was in process and the public would have not been aware of this situation. However, now that this situation is public, obviously Pitino could still play Reggie at the risk of a PR nightmare or settle to suspend him until this process is finished. Am I missing something here?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I think we have different definitions of "suffer". Lynch is not going to jail, he's not going on probation, he's not paying a fine. He is simply no longer welcome at the University. He can choose to finish his degree at some other college (shouldn't he be done anyway after 4.5 years?), or he could pack his bags tonight and begin a lucrative basketball career in Lithuania.

If he's not going to jail what crime did he commit to get kicked off the team and out of the university?

Not relevant at all, but the night in question would have been early morning following Spring Jam in 16.

My question: athletic department policy is for players to be suspended if there is an active EOAA investigation. The football players were...Lynch was last year for the other incident during the investigation....why not this time? Coyle change the policy or was it not consistently applied?

Go Gophers!!

To all of you that are saying there's no way to prove it two years after the fact, you are certainly correct, but they can try the best they can, and it's not like the pain of a sexual assault ends directly after the event, it can be a life long issue.

To this I'd say sure, there is likely no concrete evidence, but there never will be, and if there is enough circumstantial evidence in the case of someone like Reggie, who has had these rumors around him for 7 YEARS, I'm okay with taking action.

I agree that with Reggie there's too much smoke not to be fire. But this process is clearly open to abuse by scorned exes, etc. if you can make an accusation a couple years after the fact and have the party found "responsible" based primarily on interviews, or in the case of the football situation, punishing people who weren't even involved simply for being in the vicinity or knowing about it.

As a culture, we are in the midst of figuring out how to handle people who practice sexual assault in their interpersonal life. As a woman, let me inform you that you all have or have had male friends who don't or won't understand and respect lines that need respecting. HOWEVER! most people do not have this problem!!
As previously stated, its unfortunate that we've in practice given permission for this behavior. How do you think it will stop? Yes, some people should lose their jobs because in a hundred ways they've been told its wrong but theyve ignored it RE: no consequence.

A few thoughts....

1. As damning as the response to this recent Reggie incident has been on social media (if even any of the stories are true, then goodbye to him), I still believe he deserves due process here and it sounds like he will get it with the appeal.

2. I'm not sure if you are on board with some of the posters on here, but the idea that employers/college recruiters should have access to/accountability to research private individuals' sex lives is neither constitutional or realistic. I believe that's a pandora's box that the majority of society wouldn't want opened. It wouldn't just uncover sexual assault or sexual harassment. It would uncover the time someone had a threesome in college or the time someone let their partner tape them having sex or the time a person had a domestic with an old girlfriend 15 years ago. If this kind of accountability was expected of employers/coaches, where would the moral line be drawn? What if a person didn't get a job because they were sexually promiscuous when they were 10 years younger? I realize this is not the same as sexual assault - I GET THAT. BUT the kind of research some people are implying that a coach (Pitino in this case) "should have done" into a recruit's private sexual life is laughable. If it's not public record or information, I'm not expecting a coach to walk around a high school and ask students, "Hey, does this guy push the boundaries of sexual consent?" Bottom line, Pitino has no obligation to know what former high school classmates were "whispering" about 16-year-old Reggie Lynch

Not relevant at all, but the night in question would have been early morning following Spring Jam in 16.

My question: athletic department policy is for players to be suspended if there is an active EOAA investigation. The football players were...Lynch was last year for the other incident during the investigation....why not this time? Coyle change the policy or was it not consistently applied?

No. Policy is to suspend players during criminal investigations. Only 4 of the 10 involved in the football EOAA investigation were suspended before the EOAA decision - they were all under criminal investigation. The exact same situation happened here.

There’s no way Pitino had discretion in this situation. And he shouldn’t - these accusations are way too serious for him to be making the decision to suspend Lynch or not. I’d wager that it was an administrative decision that probably matches policy guidelines outlined by superior organizational bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Gophers!!

If he's not going to jail what crime did he commit to get kicked off the team and out of the university?

Sexual assault.

Do you understand the difference between "his school thinks he probably committed a crime, so they're suspending him" and "the justice system has proven that he definitely committed a crime, so he is being sent to prison"?

Looks like the snowflakes are out in force. With the holiday break, they needed a reason to come back to campus early. Plus it's been over a year since they were in they in the headlines. Anything that hurts the athletic department is worth the time to meet. I wonder if the BB players will revolt,ala football team?

I doubt it. Sano's teammates have anonymously (or not anonymously in the case of Trevor Plouffe) let it me known that the accusation didn't surprise them. I'm guessing Reggie's teammates won't be shocked either. The football situation was about the 5 who were not involved being suspended.

academic focused aside, this tweet didn't age well

Top Bottom