Rumors tonight of Lynch no longer on Gopher team...

A few thoughts....

2. I'm not sure if you are on board with some of the posters on here, but the idea that employers/college recruiters should have access to/accountability to research private individuals' sex lives is neither constitutional or realistic. I believe that's a pandora's box that the majority of society wouldn't want opened. It wouldn't just uncover sexual assault or sexual harassment. It would uncover the time someone had a threesome in college or the time someone let their partner tape them having sex or the time a person had a domestic with an old girlfriend 15 years ago. If this kind of accountability was expected of employers/coaches, where would the moral line be drawn? What if a person didn't get a job because they were sexually promiscuous when they were 10 years younger? I realize this is not the same as sexual assault - I GET THAT. BUT the kind of research some people are implying that a coach (Pitino in this case) "should have done" into a recruit's private sexual life is laughable. If it's not public record or information, I'm not expecting a coach to walk around a high school and ask students, "Hey, does this guy push the boundaries of sexual consent?" Bottom line, Pitino has no obligation to know what former high school classmates were "whispering" about 16-year-old Reggie Lynch

I'm glad no one has brought up the Sex Tape Threesome. No complaint of sexual harassment/abuse there. Just bad judgment.

A few thoughts....

1. As damning as the response to this recent Reggie incident has been on social media (if even any of the stories are true, then goodbye to him), I still believe he deserves due process here and it sounds like he will get it with the appeal.

2. I'm not sure if you are on board with some of the posters on here, but the idea that employers/college recruiters should have access to/accountability to research private individuals' sex lives is neither constitutional or realistic. I believe that's a pandora's box that the majority of society wouldn't want opened. It wouldn't just uncover sexual assault or sexual harassment. It would uncover the time someone had a threesome in college or the time someone let their partner tape them having sex or the time a person had a domestic with an old girlfriend 15 years ago. If this kind of accountability was expected of employers/coaches, where would the moral line be drawn? What if a person didn't get a job because they were sexually promiscuous when they were 10 years younger? I realize this is not the same as sexual assault - I GET THAT. BUT the kind of research some people are implying that a coach (Pitino in this case) "should have done" into a recruit's private sexual life is laughable. If it's not public record or information, I'm not expecting a coach to walk around a high school and ask students, "Hey, does this guy push the boundaries of sexual consent?" Bottom line, Pitino has no obligation to know what former high school classmates were "whispering" about 16-year-old Reggie Lynch
Agree on both.
I don't blame the U or Pitino for this. Cultural norms are changing, and for the good, but it's bumpy and we have to recognize this is stuff we all closed our eyes to for years. I'm not in favor of shaming people.

Oh man....if there's a cover-up here, this is going to get WAY worse before it gets better. This could approach Gangelhoff territory.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Where are you getting that idea? If I read this correctly, the accuser didn't bring this forward until "last fall" which I took to mean fall 2017.

I'm glad no one has brought up the Sex Tape Threesome. No complaint of sexual harassment/abuse there. Just bad judgment.

Well, the original issue was if there was consent to post a video of a woman having sex online. I think there actually was in the end? But that was the original investigation, no?

this says nearly the entire campus of 50,000 people knew about reggie, i find that hard to believe

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

From the updated Strib article:

Final Four baby!

That means they can't kick him out of school until the appeal. I'll be surprised if he's not suspended from the basketball team though.

Everyone commenting should read Jon Krakauer's book Missoula. He does a pretty deep dive into campus rape in a relatively fair and balanced way. He also spends a fair bit of time explaining the universities responsibility to keep students safe. I think Minnesota may be lucky he published this prior to the football and Lynch scandal.

It is well written and easy to read, although in no way is it an easy book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24911006-missoula

How can we view the press conference?

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

No. Policy is to suspend players during criminal investigations. Only 4 of the 10 involved in the football EOAA investigation were suspended before the EOAA decision - they were all under criminal investigation. The exact same situation happened here.

There’s no way Pitino had discretion in this situation. And he shouldn’t - these accusations are way too serious for him to be making the decision to suspend Lynch or not. I’d wager that it was an administrative decision that probably matches policy guidelines outlined by superior organizational bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for educating me

if i were to guess, the u will allow him to keep attending class during the appeal but will be suspended from the basketball program.

He was a kid who lost both his parents to murder/drugs in Baltimore. Pitino tried to give him an opportunity to better himself. If anyone is implying that Pitino should have known that McNeil would allegedly commit murder because of how he grew up, isn't that a little bit discriminatory? Isn't the point of scholarships to try and give kids who wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity the chance to change their lives and better themselves?

+1. It's terrible what he's gone on to, but there was nothing in his background to suggest it other than his unfortunate family circumstances. With Reggie, there may have been whispers but that doesn't mean Pitino knew about them or what credence they had.

Where are you getting that idea? If I read this correctly, the accuser didn't bring this forward until "last fall" which I took to mean fall 2017.

That's also the way I read it.

The timing is right, the NYT Weinstein article was published on 10/5. That is when the world finally changed for the better, and all sh@##$ things that some sh@##$ men did came out in the open. Reggie just happens to be one of those men.

Go Gophers!!

LOL!

Coyle will hold a press conference so he can make a prepared statement denying that the university knew anything about any of this prior to Lynch coming to Minnesota. He's not going to answer any difficult questions, whatsoever.

Go Gophers!!

this says nearly the entire campus of 50,000 people knew about reggie, i find that hard to believe

I'd wager a good amount that at least 10,000 of the students at the U have no idea who Reggie Lynch even is.

So many assumptions floating around about a U of M cover up and why is he suspended now, why did he play before and as I was about to answer those questions it was nice someone else chimed in to explain that the U of M policy is that if a criminal act is reported to the police, the student/athlete is suspended during the investigation, but if it is just a claim brought to the U of M or EOAA, the student/athlete can remain until the investigation is over. I am no expert on sexual assaults but I believe not all victims feel comfortable filing police report, but instead would rather just report to the school.

I will not guarantee this because the U of M has done some weird stuff in the past, but I am almost certain Pitino and Lynch have known about this investigation for a long time. But again the U policy is that he can play during the investigation so its hard to blame Pitino for that. We can argue all day long what is right or wrong but both sides of argument have valid points on this. Easy to say he shouldnt play during investigation because you are favoring athletes or not taking victims seriously but also easy to argue a false accusation could cost student athletes millions of dollars if you suspend to find out victim was untruthful.

The struggle now is the alleged history of Lynch. Clearly there are people who feel very strongly that he has a habit of this behavior and that its followed him to every school he has attended. If that is true it will shed some dark light on the U of M, the AD and Pitino for recruiting him back, and once recruiting him back putting strict rules on him that any incidents will not be tolerated and expulsion is very real possibility. But again we can argue folks deserve a second chance yadda yadda...

So what am I really getting at. To be honest I am not sure. I think reading through 13 pages of gopherhole and seeing folks attack the U of M or Pitino, or the Victim or Lynch for that matter gets old. These situations are impossible to handle in a way that makes everyone happy. One side will like the handling of it the other side wont. In basketball terms these situations are like a bang bang block charge call. One coach and fan base will agree with the call and the other half wont regardless of what you call.

Coach has to turn the page and play for the future. Washington Hurt and Harris have to get the minutes. Oruro Curry and Stockman will figure out the 5 position next year.

Play Zone to help players rest and the core 4 now play 37 minutes each.

We will still win games with our core 4 plus Hurt and Or Washington starting.

Coach has to turn the page and play for the future. Washington Hurt and Harris have to get the minutes. Oruro Curry and Stockman will figure out the 5 position next year.

Play Zone to help players rest and the core 4 now play 37 minutes each.

We will still win games with our core 4 plus Hurt and Or Washington starting.

Let's not go there already. Until Wednesday night Reggie hadn't been playing great and we were still functioning. These season will never be what it might have, but they can still finish above .500 in the B1G.

The struggle now is the alleged history of Lynch. Clearly there are people who feel very strongly that he has a habit of this behavior and that its followed him to every school he has attended. If that is true it will shed some dark light on the U of M, the AD and Pitino for recruiting him back, and once recruiting him back putting strict rules on him that any incidents will not be tolerated and expulsion is very real possibility. But again we can argue folks deserve a second chance yadda yadda...

yadda yadda

Universities have a responsibility to not endanger the safety of their students.

yadda yadda

Can someone please summarize how the Coyle portion of the presser went?

Go Gophers!!

There is no chance that Pitino will let him play during the appeal process. Not in today's climate, the football debacle still fresh in the rearview, and with the stigma attached to his last name right now.

I wonder if Reggie will go with Pacyga? He's certainly got the experience.

I don't even think it will be up to Pitino. I'm guessing Coyle or possibly even Kaler will be making that decision. And I'm assuming they won't let him play during the appeal.

Go Gophers!!

I don't even think it will be up to Pitino. I'm guessing Coyle or possibly even Kaler will be making that decision. And I'm assuming they won't let him play during the appeal.

Not a chance, and I would advise Richard to not have him on the bench either. If they are even entertaining an appeal, someone must think there is enough ambiguity in the situation to have people in the appeal process see the case differently than the original reviewers. Nobody wins here. No matter what happened, Reggie has a problem he needs to deal with. I hope someone steers him in the right direction.

Top Bottom