Rumors tonight of Lynch no longer on Gopher team...

What more are you suggesting the University should have done to "keep students safe"?

That entirely and solely rests on the idea of knowing that rumors exists about a player and ignoring them/hoping they don't come true again if that player comes to your university.

In other words, it depends entirely on what was known.

If a professor at a university is rumored to be pushing kids (no proof), verbally abusing them, and calling them the N-word among other things, even though he likely is not legally convicted of any crime, is he someone that the U keeps on staff?

Are you really trying to say that you think an employee at a state-run institution would be fired based on "rumors" without due process taking place?

There would still be due process. And whether you're talking about the first incident with Reggie (which due process played out and cleared him) or this one now - where due process is taking place - neither incident was ignored. And sorry, as much as you might like it to be the case, people are not convicted of crimes based on "rumors" or Twitter posts.

What does the U have to gain from letting Reggie practice with the team? Do they really think there’s a chance he’ll play this year? Cut his ass and take a strong stance.

That would be the easy, simple thing to do from the populist side of it.

You have to remember, there is the other side of the equation that the U is equally (if not more directly) exposed to: big boosters, who are fired up about the season possibly going down the toilet, as well as big moneyed interests who see this or want it to be a political thing.

The U is truly in a no-win situation. Someone is going to be pissed and want blood.

SMH....

I watched these press conferences and the one thing that bothers me most is the lack of journalistic inegrity from the people asking questions.

First, there is a merry-go-round of different people asking essentially the same questions. These are the questions I recall hearing reparaphrased repeatedly. Is he still on the team? Did you know about this previously? Does he still get to play? Is there a problem with sports at the U?

Then there are leading and extreme questions that are just wrong. I couldn't believe hearing stuff like the following.
You're the coach/athletic director don't you think you should quit because of this? Don't you think sexual assault is wrong? Do you condone violence against women?

Honestly, I was expecting extreme and leading questions to ask the coach and AD if they were going to throw themselves off the Washington Ave Bridge because of this.

And people wonder why there is so much criticism of ivory tower academics....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What does the U have to gain from letting Reggie practice with the team? Do they really think there’s a chance he’ll play this year? Cut his ass and take a strong stance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe it is a legal decision.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

SMH....

I watched these press conferences and the one thing that bothers me most is the lack of journalistic inegrity from the people asking questions.

First, there is a merry-go-round of different people asking essentially the same questions. These are the questions I recall hearing reparaphrased repeatedly. Is he still on the team? Did you know about this previously? Does he still get to play? Is there a problem with sports at the U?

Then there are leading and extreme questions that are just wrong. I couldn't believe hearing stuff like the following.
You're the coach/athletic director don't you think you should quit because of this? Don't you think sexual assault is wrong? Do you condone violence against women?

Honestly, I was expecting extreme and leading questions to ask the coach and AD if they were going to throw themselves off the Washington Ave Bridge because of this.

And people wonder why there is so much criticism of ivory tower academics....

How often do you beat your wife?

*Do I really need to disclaim that I am not actually asking this question?

I think you're just being silly if you believe papers, news media, online, etc. aren't going to work the sexual assault angle for every last cent, or shouldn't.

People will click on that stuff, read it, digest it, talk about it. That's the stuff that makes money.

people are not convicted of crimes based on "rumors" or Twitter posts.

That people aren't convicted of crimes does not mean they can't be found guilty in a civil or campus process.

You really need to stop trying to conflate them, they're entirely separate.

That people aren't convicted of crimes does not mean they can't be found guilty in a civil or campus process.

You really need to stop trying to conflate them, they're entirely separate.

Sorry, man. You're insane. No university in the nation is going to expel a student based on rumors. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Official complaints need to be filed, not a post on Twitter or women talking amongst themselves

How often do you beat your wife?

*Do I really need to disclaim that I am not actually asking this question?
Based on the radical nature of people listening/reading with extreme bias, sometimes you do.

At this point, they will all deny having any knowledge.

It will come down to if someone can find an email or text to the contrary, on FOIA requests.

The question is whether, as some have suggested, there was a pattern of behavior by Lynch that they all knew about and chose to ignore or sweep under the rug. That could include any knowledge they had when they took him in as a transfer. All speculative, but these types of things could endanger someone's job.

He shouldn't be with the team. It appears the process was carried out as it should. Reggie was allowed to remain with the team during the investigation, then a ruling came down on the investigation and now Reggie has a chance to appeal.

How or why Pitino and Coyle should be punished for this is baffling to me.

Some people are suggesting Pitino should be punished if he had knowledge of this.. Wtf? of course he knew about it. he let it play out the way he should have.

Now all I want/expect from the Athletic Department is to remove Reggie from the team. No practice, no association whatsoever with any of the players.

The harassment training they do needs to hit home more. Every year, the players should have to sit through a review of every incident from the last X years with a giant picture of the offending player's sad face on the screen while the details of the case are discussed in a forum session and each current player talks about how it could have been avoided altogether.

Sorry, man. You're insane. No university in the nation is going to expel a student based on rumors. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Official complaints need to be filed, not a post on Twitter or women talking amongst themselves

I'm neither advocating for or predicting Lynch's expulsion, as the ultimate outcome of the second EOAA investigation of the second incident. It will play out as it plays out.

People can sue for many reasons. Attending even a public university is not a protected right. It is free to impose its own processes, which may include investigations that have lower burdens of proof than even civil processes. If you don't like those things, you're free not to attend the school. Etc.

He shouldn't be with the team. It appears the process was carried out as it should. Reggie was allowed to remain with the team during the investigation, then a ruling came down on the investigation and now Reggie has a chance to appeal.

I believe they're trying to walk the finest of fine lines. If they just up and yanked him, they could be looking at angry boosters and a lawsuit. This way, is probably the best risk mitigation they could come up with this morning.

Some people are suggesting Pitino should be punished if he had knowledge of this.. Wtf? of course he knew about it. he let it play out the way he should have.

No no no. Not knowledge of the U of Minn investigation. Of course they had knowledge of that.

If he had knowledge of Lynch's past, and still agreed to bring him to Minnesota despite the risk that he would repeat offend.

The question is whether, as some have suggested, there was a pattern of behavior by Lynch that they all knew about and chose to ignore or sweep under the rug. That could include any knowledge they had when they took him in as a transfer. All speculative, but these types of things could endanger someone's job.

Only Pitino's since he took him on. Vetting is not always easy and public people, including college athletes, are subject to the rumor mill in brutal and sometimes unfair ways. Deciphering the truth out of a set of stories and rumors is almost impossible. I find it hard to believe that a history of sexual assault can be hidden at this level for very long, even two years ago when he transferred, but who knows? Maybe ISU brushed a campus case away because he left. Hard to believe, but one never knows. Regardless of legality, Reggie has a problem that needs to be addressed for his and society's well-being.

I'm neither advocating for or predicting Lynch's expulsion, as the ultimate outcome of the second EOAA investigation of the second incident. It will play out as it plays out.

People can sue for many reasons. Attending even a public university is not a protected right. It is free to impose its own processes, which may include investigations that have lower burdens of proof than even civil processes. If you don't like those things, you're free not to attend the school. Etc.

Yes but the public manner in which sport players are treated means that wrongful expulsion could boarder on defamation. Also the record sicks with people and very negatively impacts their future which is why a university must make sure proper protocols are followed. (as such they cannot kick people out based on rumors)

Only Pitino's since he took him on. Vetting is not always easy and public people, including college athletes, are subject to the rumor mill in brutal and sometimes unfair ways. Deciphering the truth out of a set of stories and rumors is almost impossible. I find it hard to believe that a history of sexual assault can be hidden at this level for very long, even two years ago when he transferred, but who knows? Maybe ISU brushed a campus case away because he left. Hard to believe, but one never knows. Regardless of legality, Reggie has a problem that needs to be addressed for his and society's well-being.

I'm only pulling this out of my rear .... but I do find it reasonable that the "awakening" of the past year by women speaking out might have emboldened the new Twitter rumors on Lynch, even though this is stuff that happened years ago.

Yes but the public manner in which sport players are treated means that wrongful expulsion could boarder on defamation. Also the record sicks with people and very negatively impacts their future which is why a university must make sure proper protocols are followed. (as such they cannot kick people out based on rumors)

You are making a very logical legal hypothesis.

If the appeal is denied by the EOAA, we may well see it tested.

The harassment training they do needs to hit home more. Every year, the players should have to sit through a review of every incident from the last X years with a giant picture of the offending player's sad face on the screen while the details of the case are discussed in a forum session and each current player talks about how it could have been avoided altogether.

Really hard to get a room full of people who by and large have been exempt from a lot of rules and expectations of the typical population to take things seriously. It will never happen to them. They are invincible. Someone will pull some strings to make it go away. Really sad, but too true.

expel this dude from the team. today. who cares if the school gets sued. the basketball team needs to distance themselves from this as soon as possible. like right now.

I think Pitino has tried to instill a new culture in the team the past year and a half. he probably thought he could convert reggie. reggie's past won't go away though. that's not on Pitino.

From what I know now, I would defend Pitino as well. How are you supposed to investigate twitter rumors and party whispering? Although they may or may not be true, there is no way to investigate and lend credence to rumors. People in the public eye will always have jealous people say mean things about them. Pitino does not have a stable of 400 investigators to determine if every tweet is true or just posted by some nutjob with an axe to grind.

Now if there is a trail of public records of illegal activity, that is certainly different. I haven't heard there is any of that in this case, so I would say that I fully support Pitino with what I know at this point.

One last thing, it happened in April of 2016, so to say our policies and training aren't currently effective is misleading at best. I understand they have instituted different training since then, so you cannot blame this incident on lack of current training practices.

From what I know now, I would defend Pitino as well. How are you supposed to investigate twitter rumors and party whispering? Although they may or may not be true, there is no way to investigate and lend credence to rumors. People in the public eye will always have jealous people say mean things about them. Pitino does not have a stable of 400 investigators to determine if every tweet is true or just posted by some nutjob with an axe to grind.

Now if there is a trail of public records of illegal activity, that is certainly different. I haven't heard there is any of that in this case, so I would say that I fully support Pitino with what I know at this point.

One last thing, it happened in April of 2016, so to say our policies and training aren't currently effective is misleading at best. I understand they have instituted different training since then, so you cannot blame this incident on lack of current training practices.
agree 100%

Everything changed in the offseason after the sex tape incident. since then I suspect the team has matured and understood better the parameters of sexual misconduct. I also would bet players like Mason have gotten on Reggie to hit the point home to him what he can't do.

I also would bet players like Mason have gotten on Reggie to hit the point home to him what he can't do.

Players like Mason? He's the moral compass now?? "Hey, you can't let someone post a video of you recreating a famous landmark..." ???

She is not very good at her job. That is not what he said. He was specifically asked if it was an indefinite suspension and he clumsily avoided answering it.

If it was declared that he in fact was suspended, yet a length of time for that suspension was not explicitly said, wouldn't it thus make that length of time of the suspension "indefinite?"

I have no problem with that portion of the tweet.

Players like Mason? He's the moral compass now?? "Hey, you can't let someone post a video of you recreating a famous landmark..." ???

A video may have been useful in proving consensual act. Just saying.

he didn't post the video, so not sure how any of that is relevant. if anything, it was a learning moment for Mason, so he absolutely would have a better moral compass than most college students about what is and isn't proper

I'm only pulling this out of my rear .... but I do find it reasonable that the "awakening" of the past year by women speaking out might have emboldened the new Twitter rumors on Lynch, even though this is stuff that happened years ago.

Agreed, of course. But recent emboldening of victims doesn't mean anyone in the past knew about anything. Clearly there is an agenda to take down anyone even close to the situation in some circles. Making a statement that he should have known something that happened four years ago, which people have done, when people have only been talking about what happened to them in the last few months is ludicrous.

Top Bottom