Rumors tonight of Lynch no longer on Gopher team...

No. Policy is to suspend players during criminal investigations. Only 4 of the 10 involved in the football EOAA investigation were suspended before the EOAA decision - they were all under criminal investigation. The exact same situation happened here.

I don't think you have it entirely correct. I believe the U's policy for cases involving sexual assault or harassment is to suspend students AFTER the EOAA investigation is completed and BEFORE the student code of conduct hearing and appeals are initiated. Suspension from the team or the campus as a whole is discretionary based on the recommendation of the EOAA and the obligation of the administration to protect the safety of students, employees, and visitors to the campus. It is highly unlikely Lynch will be allowed to play until completion of the hearing and any appeals. Either party has the right to appeal the decision of the hearing panel.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Why oh why would he make this decision? Have some balls and either let him play (if you think there is chance of a successful appeal) or keep him off the court (if you think he is likely guilty). Mark Coyle just pulled a "Joel Maturi".

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Can someone please summarize how the Coyle portion of the presser went?

Student Privacy...
Student Privacy...
There's a Process...Go to the website
Student Privacy...
Student Privacy...
He's suspended...
We Did Training....
We Met With Abby...
There's a Process.....Go to the website
There's a Process...
We've worked on our culture....
I got here after this sh*t went down....So I should keep my job
We have procedures....
There's a process....
Student Privacy....
There's a process....
There's a process....
There's a process....

Why oh why would he make this decision? Have some balls and either let him play (if you think there is chance of a successful appeal) or keep him off the court (if you think he is likely guilty). Mark Coyle just pulled a "Joel Maturi".

Or he followed policy that says play during the investigation but not after decision or during an appeal. It sounds reasonable to me.

Oh man....if there's a cover-up here, this is going to get WAY worse before it gets better. This could approach Gangelhoff territory.

Is this an accurate statement? Basically "they" (whomever "they" are) are mining the time prior to Coyle getting here to embarrass men's athletics.

Overheard a radio conversation that was dancing around this subject.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

yadda yadda

Universities have a responsibility to not endanger the safety of their students.

yadda yadda

Such a ludicrous statement. Yeah, because the University definitely does a personal, sexual background check on all 50,000 students. Christ. That's not something that happens in basically any area of society, so why would you expect it to happen at the U? Get real

Any idea how long the appeal would take? The football one was ~2 months but winter break was in the middle.

I don't think you have it entirely correct. I believe the U's policy for cases involving sexual assault or harassment is to suspend students AFTER the EOAA investigation is completed and BEFORE the student code of conduct hearing and appeals are initiated. Suspension from the team or the campus as a whole is discretionary based on the recommendation of the EOAA and the obligation of the administration to protect the safety of students, employees, and visitors to the campus. It is highly unlikely Lynch will be allowed to play until completion of the hearing and any appeals. Either party has the right to appeal the decision of the hearing panel.

You are wrong, he was right.

They suspended 4 football players who were under criminal investigation. They then suspended 6 more players AFTER the EOAA board ruled.

Such a ludicrous statement. Yeah, because the University definitely does a personal, sexual background check on all 50,000 students. Christ. That's not something that happens in basically any area of society, so why would you expect it to happen at the U? Get real

Yeah, if someone comes forward with a credible accusation of sexual assault, you bet they’d investigate.

Maybe if Reggie goes to sex addiction therapy...

If for no other reason than $$$ I have to believe the U has strong evidence on this one. Imagine the liability they would cause themselves if they suspended him (and were wrong) and he sued them because he was unable to break the U blocks record. That would be a significant value. Amongst other reasons, such as a multitude of accusations and the difficulty coming forward with charges like this, I have to believe that Reggie did this. I hope all of the women involved are okay and Reggie should not play any more.

Yeah, if someone comes forward with a credible accusation of sexual assault, you bet they’d investigate.

Um, and when the previous one happened THEY DID SUSPEND AND INVESTIGATE. He was CLEARED by the police and the U.

So what else was supposed to be done to "keep students safe"? There is due process. Due process played out. They moved forward.

Student Privacy...
Student Privacy...
There's a Process...Go to the website
Student Privacy...
Student Privacy...
He's suspended...
We Did Training....
We Met With Abby...
There's a Process.....Go to the website
There's a Process...
We've worked on our culture....
I got here after this sh*t went down....So I should keep my job
We have procedures....
There's a process....
Student Privacy....
There's a process....
There's a process....
There's a process....

About like I figured.

What about Pitino's portion of the presser? Did anyone challenge him with a difficult question?

If for no other reason than $$$ I have to believe the U has strong evidence on this one. Imagine the liability they would cause themselves if they suspended him (and were wrong) and he sued them because he was unable to break the U blocks record. That would be a significant value. Amongst other reasons, such as a multitude of accusations and the difficulty coming forward with charges like this, I have to believe that Reggie did this. I hope all of the women involved are okay and Reggie should not play any more.

I don't think it has anything to do with "strong evidence". They are playing it safe and avoiding a bad PR situation if he played while waiting on appeal. If they had "strong evidence", he would have been kicked off the team already.

He was CLEARED by the police

If a rape kit was not collected or was inconclusive, then no physical evidence is possible. Just he said, she said. In that scenario, it is not at all surprising that no charged are filed. Criminal processes require a higher burden of proof than civil or campus processes.

Or he followed policy that says play during the investigation but not after decision or during an appeal. It sounds reasonable to me.

I was referring to right now not prior to the suspension. While under appeal, he should either be able to play or be kept away from the team. I see no reason or benefit of letting him practice (and presumably sit on bench in street clothes).

A lot of people mock PJ Fleck and his insistence on creating an elite culture. This is why you need something like that. **** like this keeps happening at Minnesota and needs to stop

Does this get Pitino fired? What about Coyle? Kaler?

At this point, they will all deny having any knowledge.

It will come down to if someone can find an email or text to the contrary, on FOIA requests.

I don't think it has anything to do with "strong evidence". They are playing it safe and avoiding a bad PR situation if he played while waiting on appeal. If they had "strong evidence", he would have been kicked off the team already.

Yes. Someone believes he has a case on appeal. If it were overwhelming, it would be over. At this stage of his career, it probably is over. I can't believe any appeal process will be done in less than two months.

Um, and when the previous one happened THEY DID SUSPEND AND INVESTIGATE. He was CLEARED by the police and the U.

So what else was supposed to be done to "keep students safe"? There is due process. Due process played out. They moved forward.

If a professor at a university is rumored to be pushing kids (no proof), verbally abusing them, and calling them the N-word among other things, even though he likely is not legally convicted of any crime, is he someone that the U keeps on staff?

Go Gophers!!

She is not very good at her job. That is not what he said. He was specifically asked if it was an indefinite suspension and he clumsily avoided answering it. She also asked if he should keep his job because this happened (ignoring the fact that the alleged incident occurred before he started). I believe it was also her that asked why he didn't investigate twitter allegations (of which came out after the suspension announcement) and kick Reggie off of the team because of them.

And i strongly dislike Coyle.

If a rape kit was not collected or was inconclusive, then no physical evidence is possible. Just he said, she said. In that scenario, it is not at all surprising that no charged are filed. Criminal processes require a higher burden of proof than civil or campus processes.

So again, both the police and the U investigated and cleared him. What more are you suggesting the University should have done to "keep students safe"?

Yes. Someone believes he has a case on appeal. If it were overwhelming, it would be over. At this stage of his career, it probably is over. I can't believe any appeal process will be done in less than two months.
At this point, a well-vetted process is their best way to proceed from a legal standpoint. I'm guessing that they have decided, as part of the process, they shouldn't kick someone off the team until any appeal is finished.

The legal battle and battle of public opinion are different. Keeping him on the team, at this point, is bad PR.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

You are wrong, he was right.

They suspended 4 football players who were under criminal investigation. They then suspended 6 more players AFTER the EOAA board ruled.

The six additional players were not under criminal investigation. They were suspended after the EOAA investigation for sexual harrassment, lying to EOAA investigators, engaging in a conspiracy to obstruct the EOAA investigation, and other miscellaneous violations of the student code of conduct. The EOAA report did not accuse any of the six players with having sex with the alleged victim.

A lot of people mock PJ Fleck and his insistence on creating an elite culture. This is why you need something like that. **** like this keeps happening at Minnesota and needs to stop

I suspect this happens in a lot of places. Lots of stories in the last few months confirm it. I am surprised it has taken this long for harassment/assault accusations to hit the sports world. I have to believe it's more present than has been told so far.

It needs to stop in Minnesota and everywhere else. Not treating athletes or others with publicly appreciated talents any different than anyone else is the beginning. My guess is the star treatment from a very early age contributes to the "rules don't apply to me" syndrome that underlies a lot of this crap.

What does the U have to gain from letting Reggie practice with the team? Do they really think there’s a chance he’ll play this year? Cut his ass and take a strong stance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom