Rumors tonight of Lynch no longer on Gopher team...

So both of these alleged incidents occurred in the Spring of '16? It took a year and a half to come to the decision to suspend him from school? What good is an appeal for a Senior athlete who will be out of eligibility if he wins that appeal?

If he wins that appeal fewer people will think of him as a rapist perhaps?

I don't know anything more than what the article states, but if that was the case why would he not be expelled? If Reggie committed a sexual assault in the eyes of the University, why let him back on campus in 2020? Four of the football players were expelled for their actions in a case that had a lot of gray area to it.
What was the gray area of the gang rape of a drunken cheerleader who was on tape saying "no"?

welp, this season's over. Sucks but hey, if Lynch did wrong he should be punished. That said, I absolutely hate the way schools, and particularly the U, handle these sorts of things. I personally think they should leave that sort of thing to the police. Either way, there go hopes of sweet 16s or whatever

They left the football one to the police who didn't even investigate a gang rape until the accused had a week to get rid of all the evidence. Then they called the AD and told him they were going to interview the players so that they could lawyer up beforehand. They all had time to get their stories straight and the U hired one lawyer for them all so that you didn't have one lawyer protecting his client by making him rat out the others. The police department was in cahoots with the athletic department and has been for years. They interviewed the victim right away but she wasn't represented by a lawyer, nor was she interviewed by a female officer as would be normal in an incident where the police weren't trying to help the rapists.

Are you freaking kidding me? Why? From the way I understand it, these athletes can get almost any girl they want. Why would this happen?

It's not about sex, it's about power. They call it assault for a reason.

If I commit some type of theft or fraud, I would be fired by my company. It doesn't have to be against the company or it's employees to pose a risk to the organization. By keeping him off campus, it helps to protect the students and faculty who are on campus. Obviously the U can't control what is off of campus.

I don't think the alleging part has much bearing on the punishment.

What confuses me is how he can practice if he's banned from campus.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

That was my exact thought, let's hear Coyle explain that one. But we won't have to because my guess is soon we will hear they came to their senses on that....what a cluster.

They left the football one to the police who didn't even investigate a gang rape until the accused had a week to get rid of all the evidence. Then they called the AD and told him they were going to interview the players so that they could lawyer up beforehand. They all had time to get their stories straight and the U hired one lawyer for them all so that you didn't have one lawyer protecting his client by making him rat out the others. The police department was in cahoots with the athletic department and has been for years. They interviewed the victim right away but she wasn't represented by a lawyer, nor was she interviewed by a female officer as would be normal in an incident where the police weren't trying to help the rapists.

No, none of those players had lawyers in their interviews with the EOAA. That was a HUGE part of the problem.

Mark Coyle just fired Tracy Claeys over this incident.

A recruit was accused of rape with the Claey's incident...rape or not...training women with recruits (and taping it) and NOT kicking the host off the team was problematic...then there was the boycott...put that on top of being a lousy recruiter and poor spokesperson for the U....he had no control of his team. Also Pitino responded and did a bunch of stuff this summer to get guys to act right. This incident was before that. We'll see. Times have changed since Trump was elected and folks have fallen for much less....

That was my exact thought, let's hear Coyle explain that one. But we won't have to because my guess is soon we will hear they came to their senses on that....what a cluster.

Well, if you're not a freaking dimwit, you'd READ and understand that the ban CANNOT go into effect if the accused appeals and until said appeal has been completed. I guess if you just want to jump to conclusions and read message boards, you can be like both of you are. But if you actually believe in due process, you'd take the time to understand that EVERYBODY deserves their opportunity to answer an accusation. That is one of the things that this country was founded on.

No, none of those players had lawyers in their interviews with the EOAA. That was a HUGE part of the problem.

They ALL were represented by lawyers when interviewed after a week....except the victim...with the police not the EOAA...perhaps that's why they had trouble getting their stories straight?

As for my semi drunk thing people didn't get, if this is second case where the support the victim crowd thinks that the punishments weren't handed out correctly, shouldn't their anger be directed at forcing the administration out? I'm not a fan of Kaler or Coyle for how they punished the football players despite it seeking like there was zero truth from cheerleaders story to punish the players, then maybe there's common ground in wanting them to fire them. Don't give a **** who the Abby chick is unless she's one pressing charges against Reggie. Anyone who wants to see the guy suspended can make up whatever they want with anonymous sources, no reason she has credibility
There was a tape made by the players who were training the cheerleader and on it she is heard saying "no" in addition there were numerous texts between the players that supported the cheerleaders story not the players. Not sure if you read the entire report...but doesn't sound like you did.

He’s not banned from campus yet because he’s appealing.

Having some technology issues but wanted to agree with your thoughtful post.

They ALL were represented by lawyers when interviewed after a week....except the victim...with the police not the EOAA...perhaps that's why they had trouble getting their stories straight?

yeah, cause it was the police who were the ones who expelled them from school and ruined their futures, right? I'm sure those are definitely the interviews they think about when they look back at the chain of events. The EOAA is what railroaded them all out of school AND did it's VERY BEST to try and convict ALL 10 kids (more than 1/2 who were cleared) in the media.

Well, if you're not a freaking dimwit, you'd READ and understand that the ban CANNOT go into effect if the accused appeals and until said appeal has been completed. I guess if you just want to jump to conclusions and read message boards, you can be like both of you are. But if you actually believe in due process, you'd take the time to understand that EVERYBODY deserves their opportunity to answer an accusation. That is one of the things that this country was founded on.
You're a real delight. So the campus ban is stayed by the appeal, but the suspension is not. Wasn't hard to say without an insult.

Sounds like he walked the line between consent and assault during the first incident. He has to be a god damn idiot to not learn from that.

What's the line between consent and assault? Either you have consent or it is rape isn't it?

The girl thought it was assault. He thought it was consent. The EOAA thought it was assault, the appeal decided it was consent. Walking the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a tape made by the players who were training the cheerleader and on it she is heard saying "no" in addition there were numerous texts between the players that supported the cheerleaders story not the players. Not sure if you read the entire report...but doesn't sound like you did.

Seems like a clear-cut case for the police if it's as obvious as you say. Misrepresent much?

WriterGoph, did you read the full report? I am only taking what is in it. Follow the timeline with the cops. She calls 6 hours after the incident and they don't bother to investigate for a week...evidence gone don't you suppose? They have a tape where the cop actually writes that the cheerleader says "no" and the cop says that in this case...the girl meant "yes" by "no". If you read the report as if it were your daughter who got raped and not from the perspective that we really need these DBs, you might see it from a different perspective.

yeah, cause it was the police who were the ones who expelled them from school and ruined their futures, right? I'm sure those are definitely the interviews they think about when they look back at the chain of events. The EOAA is what railroaded them all out of school AND did it's VERY BEST to try and convict ALL 10 kids (more than 1/2 who were cleared) in the media.

You have a problem with he EOAA, I have a problem with the cops who seem to think their job to to protect athletes....because that's what they've been doing for so many years. It is because of that that EOAA was created. If the cops did their job and protected victims instead of rapists, we wouldn't need the EOAA.

You have a problem with he EOAA, I have a problem with the cops who seem to think their job to to protect athletes....because that's what they've been doing for so many years. It is because of that that EOAA was created. If the cops did their job and protected victims instead of rapists, we wouldn't need the EOAA.

So the cops protected Dom Jones? The cops protected Courtney James? The cops protected Daquein McNeil?

BULL****. The cops deliver when the facts and evidence is there. The football case didn't have it. Sorry that's so hard for you to swallow one year later - still crying about the same ****.

This is what you really meant...

"You have a problem with he EOAA, I have a problem with the cops who seem to think their job to to protect (young black kids)....because that's what they've been doing for so many years. It is because of that that EOAA was created. If the cops did their job and protected (whites) instead of (blacks), we wouldn't need the EOAA."

It would be easier if you just said you didn't like black athletes sleeping with white girls.

I've only read two or three pages on this post and see that you've already blamed the cops and Trump (a proxy for half the country that doesn't think like you) for all society's ills. Classic. It appears you believe the woman is always right and the man is always wrong. Kind of like being forced to watch the Hallmark Channel with all its Woman Good, Man Bad movies. The old saying "it takes two to tango" is often true; one party gets blamed but both parties often have at least some responsibility in the outcome. That gray area probably doesn't fit your agenda though, so no need for due process and protection for the accused. Right?

I think her point is that if you have substantial smoke, it is incumbent on the U to take some type of action.

I agree with that in concept, but don't know how you define thresholds that warrant the university being more proactive.

But they did take action. They investigated it further.

I've only read two or three pages on this post and see that you've already blamed the cops and Trump (a proxy for half the country that doesn't think like you) for all society's ills. Classic. It appears you believe the woman is always right and the man is always wrong. Kind of like being forced to watch the Hallmark Channel with all its Woman Good, Man Bad movies. The old saying "it takes two to tango" is often true; one party gets blamed but both parties often have at least some responsibility in the outcome. That gray area probably doesn't fit your agenda though, so no need for due process and protection for the accused. Right?

This is spot-on. So what happens when two young people get equally blacked out drunk and end up having sex (cause this happens a lot)? Well, the guy - of course - takes the blame because he "obviously" initiated this drunken sex. And who is supposed to give or remember affirmative consent when they are both blacked out drunk? this system is VERY ****ed.

Does Pitino have a no twitter during the season policy? Went to check out some twitter feeds of the players to see if they were commenting at all on this...searched Isaiah, Nate, Dupree, Murphy, and Amir...the latter 4 don't even have twitter, and Isaiah Washington's last post came from Nov 1.

I think Abby wanted it investigated prior to when the victim filed a report, but I'm only inferring.

Am I the only one who had no idea who Abby was until today?

Completely missed that story.

Does Pitino have a no twitter during the season policy? Went to check out some twitter feeds of the players to see if they were commenting at all on this...searched Isaiah, Nate, Dupree, Murphy, and Amir...the latter 4 don't even have twitter, and Isaiah Washington's last post came from Nov 1.

There is supposed to be no social media during the season.

Am I the only one who had no idea who Abby was until today?

Completely missed that story.
I missed it, as well. It's pretty crazy - good on her for using her experience to be a champion for change.

Sorry if this has already been covered, but is there any word on how the Pioneer Press got a hold of the findings of the investigation?

It seems that since it's confidential, the only people who should have access to it are the accuser, the accused (Lynch), and university employees who were involved in the process of compiling it.

If Lynch leaked it out to the press, I'd assume that would be against university rules as he'd be providing confidential information about his accuser. I doubt this is the case though as we probably would have heard if it was him considering he's a public figure and it changes the story.

If Lynch's accuser leaked it, I'd also assume that's against university rules as she'd be providing confidential information about Lynch. Which, if it turns out that Lynch did what he is accused of, is nowhere near as bad as what Lynch did, but would still be worthy of investigation and punishment. I also don't think this is likely because she went through the formal process rather than just going public about it earlier.

If a university employee leaked it, they should be fired. If a university employee associated with the EOAA leaked it, the entire EOAA should be investigated.

With the football incident there were so many people involved but here, it seems that it has to be one of these three possibilities, all of which are bad and the person responsible deserves punishment. With two high profile incidents like this about a year apart where the report was leaked to the press within a day, why isn't the university investigating who is leaking confidential information? Given the situation and the repeated nature, the most logical explanation seems to be that someone other than the accusers is responsible, which is very concerning considering the process is amended by individuals leaking information.
The accuser is not a student at U of M, so she can share what she wants. I find it odd they would share the outcome with a non-student myself but what do I know.

Top Bottom