Rumors tonight of Lynch no longer on Gopher team...

I went to Bloomington Jefferson with Reggie (and Abby Honold for that matter) and rumors like this have been swirling around him since his sophomore year of HS, which is what, 7 years ago now?

Part of the reason he transferred from Jefferson was that he had acted creepily around girls and his teammates here were not big fans of his.

I can confirm that normally he seems like a very nice person, but get him around girls and alcohol and it's a completely different story.

Safe to assume that the season ticket partial refund program kicks in now?

How? Seems like it's normally other way around.

It's getting absurd to see all these stories come out from years before like the Sano. Either it should come out within a week after the incident when there's DNA/photo/witnesses as evidence or only with the same level of proof if it's later. Enough with the she said therefore crucify him and nothing to substantiate

You are kidding right? Sexual assault is sexual assault. There is no timeframe on the pain these girls will deal with.

Not doubting that there was foul play, or that he deserves punishment, but how on earth can you prove a sexual assault two years after the fact? Tweets? Stories of victims? The office conducting these investigations has already been proven to be trigger happy and borderline incompetent. They've done everything in their power to tarnish the reputation of certain parties in the past (Winfield), seemingly with a liberal vengeance.

So, again, not defending Lynch here. But, how can you reach a factual conclusion based on conjecture this far removed from the incident? Especially if both parties were intoxicated.

I have to reiterate, because the culture these days is to twist words to create a straw man on which impose a political/ideological agendas (citing any debate that's taken place on Internet forum or social media since its inception): This is not about defending Lynch. Throw the book at the idiot if you can actually prove wrongdoing. I'm just worried we're going down a Gestapo like rabbit hole here, in which we're trying to compensate for individuals we thought were above the law before (i.e., men in positions of prominence), and now must be below it in order to correct the wrongs. Nationwide, this is getting out of control. No matter what level of discretion the University, or any of these other entities forcing people to resign, etc have, it still seems borderline discriminatory to take these approaches based upon hear say and conjecture, sometimes decades after the fact. How are we any better than the place we are trying to evolve from with such approaches?

Get the kid off the team, and let's all try make this a better and fairer process for everyone. Things needs to get the point where these things are reported and investigated when it happened. I'll never be comfortable with these public shamings and trials by Twitter years after the fact, and that would stand for any crime that was committed but not prosecuted and convicted. It seems antithetical to what we've always stood for.

Due process?

It could be true or false but I can't stand how these cases just to guilty right away.

If it's true he should be destroyed. My question is what the heck is wrong with these guys. You're a star at a major university campus.

To all of you that are saying there's no way to prove it two years after the fact, you are certainly correct, but they can try the best they can, and it's not like the pain of a sexual assault ends directly after the event, it can be a life long issue.

To this I'd say sure, there is likely no concrete evidence, but there never will be, and if there is enough circumstantial evidence in the case of someone like Reggie, who has had these rumors around him for 7 YEARS, I'm okay with taking action.

You are kidding right? Sexual assault is sexual assault. There is no timeframe on the pain these girls will deal with.

No there isn't a timeframe on pain, but there are limitations on what can and can't be proven. It's unfortunate but it's just how things work with any type of crime committed. You can't stroll into a person's office and say, "you robbed at gunpoint two years ago, you must resign today," and get your way....whether it happened or not isn't the issue.

I'm not doubting that Lynch should be gone and is a dirtbag, but we're going down a really slippery slope here. We don't want to start burning people at the stake because their neighbor said they saw them talking to a cat. Let's get some reigns on this thing, and do it right.

Again, reiteration, all for booting Lynch. Let's just not let our virtue signaling and witch hunting get out of control. If not, I want retroactive, conjecture-based justice for all victims of all misconduct, across all gender/race/creed/status, not just the ones that trend on Twitter and tug at heartstrings.

How does anyone play for years after an incident that carries a suspension?

For frick sakes!. Can this team ever catch a break and not have some sort of investigation for a year or two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No there isn't a timeframe on pain, but there are limitations on what can and can't be proven. It's unfortunate but it's just how things work with any type of crime committed. You can't stroll into a person's office and say, "you robbed at gunpoint two years ago, you must resign today," and get your way....whether it happened or not isn't the issue.

I'm not doubting that Lynch should be gone and is a dirtbag, but we're going down a really slippery slope here. We don't want to start burning people at the stake because their neighbor said they saw them talking to a cat. Let's get some reigns on this thing, and do it right.

Again, reiteration, all for booting Lynch. Let's just not let our virtue signaling and witch hunting get out of control. If not, I want retroactive, conjecture-based justice for all victims of all misconduct, across all gender/race/creed/status, not just the ones that trend on Twitter and tug at heartstrings.

They can likely look at medical records of the female. What was her condition before and after the incident? Depression, anxiety, counseling, relationships. Much of this could be a telltale sign of a life changing experience. Can it be tied to him, that's above me, but there are ways to tie things together.

Not doubting that there was foul play, or that he deserves punishment, but how on earth can you prove a sexual assault two years after the fact? Tweets? Stories of victims?

Or there is a chance there are social media dm's or texts messages. There could be evidence like that.

For anybody still reading that thinks this stuff should be decided by criminal courts...

Criminal charges must be proven "beyond a reasonable doubt". This is a nearly impossible standard to meet in a he-said she-said type of situation. Which is why people are rarely convicted of these sorts of things. All this crap that you've heard in the news for the past few months is evidence that criminal court is not sufficient. Even now, Weinstein and his ilk aren't going to jail.

Civil matters, and the University EOAA, only have to determine if something is more likely than not. After all, kicking somebody out of school is far, far less severe of a punishment than sending them to prison - so it makes sense to have a lower standard of proof.

It's clear that EOAA, based on the evidence they've seen, believes that Lynch probably did this stuff. Maybe they're wrong, and maybe they're overstepping like with the football team. But the key point is...allowing a sexual assaulter to continue playing for the team is a worse outcome than expelling an innocent person.

Even if they try to abolish the EOAA process the large majority of schools (particularly the U) will keep basically the same student disciplinary process in place and call it by a different name. Colleges and universities in America are never going to stop investigating allegations of sexual violence by their students and holding them accountable for their actions. There will be no going back to the days when sexual assault and harassment on campus were often ignored because criminal courts are not capable of adequately dealing with these issues. How do we know this? Because Al Franken is no longer a U.S. Senator and Garrison Keillor is no longer employed by MPR are just two reasons and there have been many others just like them. Neither of them were given their day in court and very few people in America, and hardly anyone in GopherHole, seem to care about it.

Awesome, not only is Reggie done but we also have these creepy moralistic EOAA posters back to deal with.

For frick sakes!. Can this team ever catch a break and not have some sort of investigation for a year or two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, like others have said, welcome to being a MN sports fan. Something will always go wrong.

What a FKN idiot!! see ya Reggie

assuming this is all true.

Gaston gets 10-15 minutes a game now.....UGH!

Looks like the snowflakes are out in force. With the holiday break, they needed a reason to come back to campus early. Plus it's been over a year since they were in they in the headlines. Anything that hurts the athletic department is worth the time to meet. I wonder if the BB players will revolt,ala football team?

Idea: Don't be rapey

And if you aren't rapey, don't put yourself in a position to be accused of being rapey

While agreed he cannot be out and monitor these young men 24 hours a day, he is responsible for the type of young men he brings in. Daquan McNeil, the sex tape, and now Reggie investigated two times for assault at some point you have to look at who is bringing these young men onto the campus.

This is NOT on Pitino. Get serious.

But the key point is...allowing a sexual assaulter to continue playing for the team is a worse outcome than expelling an innocent person.

I am not sure I agree with this. Ruining some innocent person's life vs letting someone play a game? I will have to noodle on this some more, but punishing an innocent person rates pretty high on my list of things that shouldn't be done.

Oh man....if there's a cover-up here, this is going to get WAY worse before it gets better. This could approach Gangelhoff territory.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

While agreed he cannot be out and monitor these young men 24 hours a day, he is responsible for the type of young men he brings in. Daquan McNeil, the sex tape, and now Reggie investigated two times for assault at some point you have to look at who is bringing these young men onto the campus.

Go troll some more. He dealt with the McNeil and sex tape situation quickly and decisively. As far as Lynch's previous allegation, BOTH the police AND the U cleared Lynch of any wrongdoing. It's a fact, not an opinion. Did you expect Pitino to drop a guy who was cleared of ANY wrongdoing by two much larger and more powerful entities? The outcome of the investigation was "consensual sex". Is he going to kick a college student off the team for having sex?

Now, 18+ months later, this is a new situation for Pitino (regardless of what previously unspoken high school classmates or Tweeters are now saying - those weren't public knowledge). He and Coyle will deal with it accordingly.

But you're clearly just trolling. No coach can be expected to know his players' sexual activities - just like your bosses at work don't know what you do between the sheets.

Nope, like others have said, welcome to being a MN sports fan. Something will always go wrong.

First year at the U in 1964 and I can sadly attest to that starting with Lou Hudson breaking his hand. Whether it's simply bad luck with injuries; a university that might have less tolerance for "jock entitlement"; being really bad at cheating; taking chances on athletes because we're desperate to compete; having a lot of different agendas at a huge public university; being in a metropolitan area where the media is always looking for dirt; or just being god damn stupid, the time to worry is when people are optimistic about the team.

Why don't we ever hear about EOAA policement at the other universities in the conference?

Top Bottom