Rumors tonight of Lynch no longer on Gopher team...

If there have been 10 accusations of women on your boss’ team harassing them and in a few cases borderline rape, but none can be criminally convicted due to lack of evidence, you guys are cool with “let him stay our boss. Only criminal charges matter to me.”

Maybe some people that are accused of something twice and many other anecdotes suggesting it happened more than twice are truly innocent, but I’ve gotta imagine that’s a very small percentage. There seems to be a lot of smoke to suggest this is not an isolated incident.

If nothing else this is a very important life example for the other guys on the team. Need to double down and make sure they are never in a situation where something like this could possibly happen. Maybe easier than it sounds.

Maybe Lynch has predatory issues (seemingly); maybe EOAA process needs to be drastically changed (it does); maybe a bit of both. All you can do is pull for the guys on the floor.

Lynch denies the assault and will appeal. And here we go...

If the Vikings don't win the Super Bowl idk what I will do with myself.

For anybody still reading that thinks this stuff should be decided by criminal courts...

Criminal charges must be proven "beyond a reasonable doubt". This is a nearly impossible standard to meet in a he-said she-said type of situation. Which is why people are rarely convicted of these sorts of things. All this crap that you've heard in the news for the past few months is evidence that criminal court is not sufficient. Even now, Weinstein and his ilk aren't going to jail.

Civil matters, and the University EOAA, only have to determine if something is more likely than not. After all, kicking somebody out of school is far, far less severe of a punishment than sending them to prison - so it makes sense to have a lower standard of proof.

It's clear that EOAA, based on the evidence they've seen, believes that Lynch probably did this stuff. Maybe they're wrong, and maybe they're overstepping like with the football team. But the key point is...allowing a sexual assaulter to continue playing for the team is a worse outcome than expelling an innocent person.

Wow, I completely disagree with the last part, and so does Uncle Ben:

"That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer, is a Maxim that has been long and generally approved." - Ben Franklin

Clearly from a basketball standpoint this sucks but from reading this thread there definitely seems to be a pattern with Lynch and if any of it is true then he deserves whatever punishments come his way.

Too bad that Konate and Gaston are both seniors as the extra time they will get won't really benefit the team in the future. What a buzzkill on what looked like a really promising season even with the loses that have happened so far. We just can't have nice things in Minnesota, something always goes wrong.

Oh man....if there's a cover-up here, this is going to get WAY worse before it gets better. This could approach Gangelhoff territory.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seriously? You think pitino or Coyle should’ve suspended Reggie BEFORE the investigation was concluded? Cover up? Cmon!!!

From the updated Strib article:

The source close to Lynch said he will request a hearing by the Student Sexual Misconduct Subcommittee (SSMS). The SSMS would issue its own decision. Thursday’s finding and recommended suspension will not take effect if Lynch requests that hearing. The hearing process can take weeks if not months.

Final Four baby!

So if Reggie is appealing, does everyone believe he SHOULD be suspended while waiting on the appeal process? I'm guessing the U will play it safe and make him sit while waiting, but I sure hope the appeal happens quickly.

Oh man....if there's a cover-up here, this is going to get WAY worse before it gets better. This could approach Gangelhoff territory.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm not sure I would classify it as a cover-up. My question is how long did the investigation take? Are you supposed to suspend someone for a full season because they may have done something? I don't see the issue with not suspending someone until the investigation is at least complete.

So if Reggie is appealing, does everyone believe he SHOULD be suspended while waiting on the appeal process? I'm guessing the U will play it safe and make him sit while waiting, but I sure hope the appeal happens quickly.

Agee that the U will probably make him sit while the appeal process plays out.

We will see how this plays out. Lynch has rumors swirling around him since High School, McNeil had a very poor history same with Dorsey. I work as a supervisor and if I hired 3 individuals that had these similar incidents happen at some point you have to look at the person that is making these poor charterer assessments. We will find out more but I question his ability to bring quality kids on to the campus. Look to the east and the south do you remember this happening to either of those basketball (stress on basketball) programs? I know Wisconsin had some kids steal something and they were promptly expelled.

Go troll some more. He dealt with the McNeil and sex tape situation quickly and decisively. As far as Lynch's previous allegation, BOTH the police AND the U cleared Lynch of any wrongdoing. It's a fact, not an opinion. Did you expect Pitino to drop a guy who was cleared of ANY wrongdoing by two much larger and more powerful entities? The outcome of the investigation was "consensual sex". Is he going to kick a college student off the team for having sex?

Now, 18+ months later, this is a new situation for Pitino (regardless of what previously unspoken high school classmates or Tweeters are now saying - those weren't public knowledge). He and Coyle will deal with it accordingly.

But you're clearly just trolling. No coach can be expected to know his players' sexual activities - just like your bosses at work don't know what you do between the sheets.

There is no chance that Pitino will let him play during the appeal process. Not in today's climate, the football debacle still fresh in the rearview, and with the stigma attached to his last name right now.

I wonder if Reggie will go with Pacyga? He's certainly got the experience.

I'm not sure I would classify it as a cover-up. My question is how long did the investigation take? Are you supposed to suspend someone for a full season because they may have done something? I don't see the issue with not suspending someone until the investigation is at least complete.

I'm saying IF there was a cover up. IF. IF. IF.

That is a tough call. I would think internally they would need to take a hard look at things and if they feel like he is most likely going to lose the appeal I would not play him in the meantime. But it is a really tough call because from a basketball standpoint they need him out there but from a big picture standpoint if he is guilty of any of this you don't want to have him on the court.

per STrib's new updated story:

University of Minnesota men’s basketball star Reggie Lynch plans to appeal his suspension and ban from campus stemming from a school investigation that found him responsible for sexual misconduct, a source close to the player said Friday.

Lynch, 23, and his accuser were informed late Thursday that he would be suspended until at least August 2020 for an assault is his dorm room at Roy Wilkins Hall on April 28, 2016. The suspension was to begin Tuesday unless Lynch or his accuser appealed, according to records obtained by the Star Tribune.

The source close to Lynch said last year’s Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year will seek to remain on the basketball team. He is in his final year of college eligibility. The Gophers play host to Indiana on Saturday at 4:15 p.m. Coach Richard Pitino has a regularly scheduled news conference at 11:15 a.m. Friday.

Neither Pitino nor Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle has commented on the findings.

http://www.startribune.com/source-g...assault-will-appeal-suspension-ban/468136253/

Go Gophers!!

That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer, is a Maxim that has been long and generally approved.

I think we have different definitions of "suffer". Lynch is not going to jail, he's not going on probation, he's not paying a fine. He is simply no longer welcome at the University. He can choose to finish his degree at some other college (shouldn't he be done anyway after 4.5 years?), or he could pack his bags tonight and begin a lucrative basketball career in Lithuania.

Now the national media starts digging for more dirt

Was only a matter of time before this popped up. McNeil was Pitino's first recruit to the U of M.

This is going to get ugly.

per STrib's new updated story:

University of Minnesota men’s basketball star Reggie Lynch plans to appeal his suspension and ban from campus stemming from a school investigation that found him responsible for sexual misconduct, a source close to the player said Friday.

Lynch, 23, and his accuser were informed late Thursday that he would be suspended until at least August 2020 for an assault is his dorm room at Roy Wilkins Hall on April 28, 2016. The suspension was to begin Tuesday unless Lynch or his accuser appealed, according to records obtained by the Star Tribune.

The source close to Lynch said last year’s Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year will seek to remain on the basketball team. He is in his final year of college eligibility. The Gophers play host to Indiana on Saturday at 4:15 p.m. Coach Richard Pitino has a regularly scheduled news conference at 11:15 a.m. Friday.

Neither Pitino nor Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle has commented on the findings.

http://www.startribune.com/source-g...assault-will-appeal-suspension-ban/468136253/

Go Gophers!!

Kick him off the team. I would not be surprised if more women come forward in the next few weeks, given what we now know about his time at BJHS, EHS, & Illinois St.

It's not that bad, he wasn't trying to kill anybody! He was just burning down the house "amid a drug dispute" with somebody else... :(

Speaking as a female, Guys like Lynch have been someone we have all mostly known about - the whisper network. He's the friend you warned your gal pals to stay away from, the guy we'd drag our drunk friend away from at a party. A girl who has some vision usually steers clear of someone like him. But often more vulnerable girls/women are prey. The cultural thinking has been that smart girls stay away from someone like him, so there are no consequences. This is how women have held all the responsibility for men's bad behavior.

Here is the one very very small way I feel sorry for Lynch. The length of time that he has gotten away with this has convinced him its okay. This should have caught up with him long ago.

Read the first 3 pages of comments on this thread. Apologize for not reading the rest, but I had seen enough to form my conclusion:

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice ... ......... fool me several times ....

Now the real question is: how much did Pitino know? Is this a Baylor situation? Did Pitino bring a, more or less, known sexual assaulter to campus for the sake of winning basketball games??

Wow. She is accusing multiple schools - high schools and universities - and police departments of covering up his actions for 6+ years? Am I reading that right? Maybe I'm naive, but I have a hard time believing if all these allegations had been made and all these different victims had come forward over such a long period of time, there HAS to be some kind of paperwork trail, right? Otherwise, you're talking about a Hollywood-level coverup for by MULTIPLE authorities and agencies all for a solid-but-not-great B10 basketball player. I guess I believe that it's likely he has had a certain reputation since HS, but I'm not sure I can swallow what I think this post is alleging as far as all these "complicit" parties.

The other thing that bothers me about this kind of post on social media is that it comes from a woman who has never spoken to Reggie, who didn't have any contact with him, but just saw "him at a distance at some parties", yet because of recent events and the way social media works, this post will be passed off as fact by many who read it.

Go Gophers!!

Wow, I completely disagree with the last part, and so does Uncle Ben:

"That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer, is a Maxim that has been long and generally approved." - Ben Franklin

Every sane person is with you and Uncle Ben.

Wow. She is accusing multiple schools - high schools and universities - and police departments of covering up his actions for 6+ years? Am I reading that right? Maybe I'm naive, but I have a hard time believing if all these allegations had been made and all these different victims had come forward over such a long period of time, there HAS to be some kind of paperwork trail, right? Otherwise, you're talking about a Hollywood-level coverup for by MULTIPLE authorities and agencies all for a solid-but-not-great B10 basketball player. I guess I believe that it's likely he has had a certain reputation since HS, but I'm not sure I can swallow what I think this post is alleging as far as all these "complicit" parties.

The other thing that bothers me about this kind of post on social media is that it comes from a woman who has never spoken to Reggie, who didn't have any contact with him, but just saw "him at a distance at some parties", yet because of recent events and the way social media works, this post will be passed off as fact by many who read it.
Our whole culture has been complicit.

Top Bottom