Coaching candidates

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

can't disagree with some of the grades...but not sure what criteria is being used. Defensive performance can't be a criteria obviously. Also, given the Tucker Center is based out of the U of MN are we getting a little home cooking? Sort of like Trump University conducting research and not so surprisingly Trump gets a good grade? Not saying, just saying.

It’s women coaching women’s sports.

can't disagree with some of the grades...but not sure what criteria is being used. Defensive performance can't be a criteria obviously. Also, given the Tucker Center is based out of the U of MN are we getting a little home cooking? Sort of like Trump University conducting research and not so surprisingly Trump gets a good grade? Not saying, just saying.

This might be the first time the Tucker Center is questioned about home cooking regarding the U of M.

The graphic says it is the percentage of women head coaches coaching a universities women's sports. I suppose you could argue that universities with a large number of women's programs might have a higher percentage of women as head coaches. Anyway, as the Tucker Center says, the goal is to increase the number of women as head coaches.

70% or more women coaching women's sports - A (Cincinnati 8/10 women) UCF (7/9 women)
55-69% - B (Minnesota 9/14 is the closest to an A)
40-54% - C
25-39% - D
24% & under - F

Tied for worst were Syracuse & West Virginia at 1/11.

I suspect we might as well table this discussion. No way a 20-win Stollings gets canned, even if many of those 20 wins are teams the Gophers had no business playing.

I suspect we might as well table this discussion. No way a 20-win Stollings gets canned, even if many of those 20 wins are teams the Gophers had no business playing.

I have to give Stollings her due. She lost some games we should have won. However, she's pulled this team together and her vision is playing out (probably even better than she imagined). What a month. I've gone from coaching candidate thoughts, to after today's win thinking we should offer up a contract for life, to worry that if this train keeps rolling like it has been, she may start to think about leaving for greener pastures. What a swing! Haha!! Congrats to Coach Stollings who deserves some praise.

Bring on UConn?! Go Gophs!!

I think I suggested a buyout after the Nebraska loss. I was definitely wrong in underestimating Nebraska and I'm now conceding I may have been wrong in calling for Stollings' job. I figure if I am going to criticize her when things aren't going well, I need to compliment her when things are going well. As the season has progressed, it seems like this team has come together nicely. Chemistry seems to be good, they are playing better defense, and it's becoming more and more difficult to criticize the 4-guard offense, especially after today. The fast-paced style is certainly more entertaining than that offered by the previous coach here. That being said, I hope she is able to recruit more athletic post players, although Edwards was very good today. Can you imagine these 4 guards with a post player like McCarville, who was one of the best outlet passers I've ever seen at the college level.

Excellent points and analysis. Looks like we have two more good guards coming in next year but how well we can recruit bigs will determine if we can get/stay at the top of the Big Ten. Stollings knows this much better than we do. Looks like we have one high school big and one JC coming next year. I am concerned but hopeful that they will provide an upgrade. These recent wins will be HUGE in helping to recruit future talent. We are competing against Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State and others for this top talent. A couple of the bigs for 2019 that are considering us look pretty interesting.

I have to give Stollings her due. She lost some games we should have won. However, she's pulled this team together and her vision is playing out (probably even better than she imagined). What a month. I've gone from coaching candidate thoughts, to after today's win thinking we should offer up a contract for life, to worry that if this train keeps rolling like it has been, she may start to think about leaving for greener pastures. What a swing! Haha!! Congrats to Coach Stollings who deserves some praise.

Bring on UConn?! Go Gophs!!

I'm starting to regret this post. Everything has gone to crap since I posted it.

I'm starting to regret this post. Everything has gone to crap since I posted it.

With Stollings out there interviewing, at Texas Tech, maybe we need to think about some other candidates just in case. Bet folks never thought she'd be the one trying to leave the Gophs.

even if she doesn't get the job at TT. Get rid of her. This can't be good for the long term of the program. Who is going to want to come here if she want to leave.

What about MN native Aaron Roussell? Currently head coach at Bucknell.

http://www.bucknellbison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32100&ATCLID=209044503

"161-50 (.763) record, including a 52-5 mark with a 43-game regular-season winning streak over his last two seasons with the program at DIII III University of Chicago"

Made the jump to DI at Bucknell where he is currently 101-56?

I like this part:
"Much of the Bison’s success during Roussell’s tenure has been a result of his ability to quickly develop talent and meld it with the team’s veteran players."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018...coaching-candidates-lindsay-whalen-niele-ivey

The Daily Gopher chimes in with some potential coaching candidates ranging from the

usual suspects: Whalen, Peterson, Moseley, Dawkins, Ivey, and Johnston,

to the frequently mentioned: Carolyn Kieger (Marquette),

to the occasionally mentioned: Jennie Baranczyk (Drake)-last February she got out from under a discrimination law suit brought by a former assistant (it was dismissed on a summery judgement ruling that it was not brought in a timely manner).

to the once mentioned (by dingo): Aaron Russell (Bucknell)

Aaron Roussell just completed his seventh season as the head coach of the Bucknell Bison. He has a 101-56 record and is a two-time Patriot League Coach of the Year. Prior to Bucknell, Roussell was the head coach of the University of Chicago team for eight seasons and took the Maroons to four Divison III Tournament berths. Roussell is a Minneapolis native and went to Iowa for college. He began his coaching career at Breck High School and then Minnesota State-Mankato before getting hired at Chicago.

to the never previously mentioned Nikki West (assistant at N C State):

Nikki West completed her fifth season as the associate head coach of the NC State Wolfpack. In her five seasons with the Wolfpack, they have made three NCAA Tournament appearances including a run to the Sweet Sixteen this past season.

Previously to her tenure with the Wolfpack she spend nine seasons as an assistant/associate head coach with the Chattanooga Moccasins. It was at this spot where she met her husband, Minnesota Gophers football assistant coach Marcus West.

West played four seasons for the Clemson Tigers from 1996-2000

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...tball-jeff-walz-contract-extension/500424002/

No...Jeff Walz's return to Minneapolis wasn't likely but Louisville was an administrative mess. Now it appears his extension at Louisville will get done.

Jeff Walz has been reassured. Despite three trips to the Final Four in the last decade, the University of Louisville's women's basketball coach had been wondering whether new bosses would have his back.

"I just had no idea what to expect," Walz said Monday afternoon. "I don't care what business you're in, you always wonder what’s coming next, what their thoughts are going to be. It's nice to have some stability now."

Last week's appointment of Neeli Bendapudi as university president and the recent removal of athletic director Vince Tyra's "interim" tag have provided Walz with clarity, comfort and are likely to lead to a contract extension in relatively short order...

...Walz has four years remaining on a 2016 contract that pays him a base salary of $1.15 million. He earned $180,000 in incentive bonuses during the Cardinals' run to the Final Four this year, a $25,000 bonus as Atlantic Coast Conference Coach of the Year and qualified for a $550,000 longevity bonus by being on the job on April 1.

Anybody notice an article Raoul tweeted out an article about how Virginia is doing their coaching search. Stated that people were tracking their plane travel and what cities they have brought coaches in from. The list includes Pittsburg, Norfolk, St.Louis, Atlanta, Detroit and South Bend (Notre Dame)....gophers may have to work overtime to get Niele Ivey before Virginia beats us to it.

Anybody notice an article Raoul tweeted out an article about how Virginia is doing their coaching search. Stated that people were tracking their plane travel and what cities they have brought coaches in from. The list includes Pittsburg, Norfolk, St.Louis, Atlanta, Detroit and South Bend (Notre Dame)....gophers may have to work overtime to get Niele Ivey before Virginia beats us to it.

Yep, I saw that. Amazingly, the Virginia job has had minimal info. It's a real contrast to when they hired Boyle. I suppose some of the lack of info has been because of the play for alum Dawn Staley who denied having any interest in the job and said that the last time UVA had an opening it, "left a sour taste in my mouth".

Doogie Tweets

My problem with Felishia Legette-Jack at Indiana was recruiting and her volatility. Most people criticized her coaching.

Her best season at Indiana was derailed by the Gophers. Both teams finished 11-7 with Minnesota winning 70-62 at Williams. That was a tight game with Indiana riding a long winning streak. With the Gophers leading 65-62, and under a minute to play, Legette-Jack went nuts protesting a foul call, picked up a technical and handed Minnesota a victory. Minnesota made the NCAA and defeated Notre Dame. The Hoosiers played in the WNIT.

I used to list her with Jeff Waltz and Kim Mulkey has cartoon characters that were fun to watch lose and pick up technicals. Her final seasons at Indiana were kind of subdued. Her emotional interviews during this years NCAA showed she had regained her fire. But I'm not convinced she can recruit in the B1G.

Felishia Legette-Jack is familiar with the Big 10 and also failed in the Big 10. Can we aim a twitch higher?

Top Bottom