ESPN Under Armor game on ESPN2 now

Good coaching will teach him not to stand over the lifeless body like Ali over Liston. Get down the field and destroy somebody else's ass.

It was a pass play. He was staying with his man. Not a good idea for a lineman to run downfield. The lifeless body started to get up so he knocked him down a second time.

I guess that the head coaches from Arkansas, Florida., Florida St., Georgia., Hawaii., LSU, Miami(Fla), Michigan., Oregon St., and Central Florida also don't have a clue about what makes a good lineman since they also offered him a scholarship

It was total sarcasm directed at JV for his comment about people thinking Faalele as a bust already.

As for the block, a pancake block is when a defender is driven backwards and knocked onto his back. This was not a pancake block.
The initial move to throw the guy to the ground would be called holding, unless he were playing for the Vadgers.
The second shove to the ground by Faalele shows a mean streak, which is great to see from any OL.
He's got some skills that Warriner can work with to make him a dominant OL in the future.

Great lesson for mom's, dad's, and future football players. I turned the game on a few times and every time I did, I heard this about different players..."He has only played football for two years." My 11 year old son has played flag football, but never tackle. I hope he wants to play tackle in the future, but I discouraged to this point. It will be interesting if he ever chooses to.

Football is an athlete's sport that can be picked up at any point. QB is about the only position that involves specific skill.

Waste of a scholarship perhaps, bust would imply he was something already. Had Claeys signed him he’d be an all-American. PJ doesn’t have a clue about what makes a good lineman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kill or Claeys would coach 'em up. Be a good project.

Great lesson for mom's, dad's, and future football players. I turned the game on a few times and every time I did, I heard this about different players..."He has only played football for two years." My 11 year old son has played flag football, but never tackle. I hope he wants to play tackle in the future, but I discouraged to this point. It will be interesting if he ever chooses to.

Football is an athlete's sport that can be picked up at any point. QB is about the only position that involves specific skill.

The other thing that helps: football is about the last major sport these days that has been insulated, via its nature, from the year-round, club team movement.

There just is no such thing as playing football year round, on a club team, outside of the high school season. And for the most part, though I could be wrong about this by now, there isn't much of a spring football requirement in Minnesota high schools, like there is down south.

If you're a great athlete, with the right sized frame .... football will absolutely take you at the last second.

The other thing that helps: football is about the last major sport these days that has been insulated, via its nature, from the year-round, club team movement.

There just is no such thing as playing football year round, on a club team, outside of the high school season. And for the most part, though I could be wrong about this by now, there isn't much of a spring football requirement in Minnesota high schools, like there is down south.

If you're a great athlete, with the right sized frame .... football will absolutely take you at the last second.

Spring Football isn't allowed in MN. A few years ago, HS teams could practice the entire summer, except for the week of July 4th, but the HS league has now stepped in and limited that as well.
It is true the football hasn't fallen into year round sport of practicing and playing like all other sports. It is more about lifting and conditioning for it in the off season.

Well, that too will go by the way-side if football is transformed, one day, into a non-contact version of the current sport.

But for now, at least for the next 10-20 years, I don't see a massive decline in the appetite for full-contact, helmet wearing football at the highest levels (major college and NFL).

The lower levels I think is where you'll first start to see the impact of lower participation levels.

I know of kids that play 8th grade football in SEC country that play school ball and are also on travel club teams. It's out there, but I don't think it is or will become the norm.

More to the point, the skill involved in football is also hard to master when young and not fully coordinated. Not to mention that each position is so unique and most kids change position over the years. If you're a natural athlete you can usually pick up the skills/footwork needed pretty quickly. The physicality of the game and the mental part are what are hard to pick up. My son was an excellent player when younger but didn't play this past year (7th grade) and I've told him he doesn't need to play again until high school, even if he wants to play QB. He puts a lot of time into basketball now which matters because that IS a skill sport and you can't just expect to play ball in HS if you haven't worked on your game before then.

I know of kids that play 8th grade football in SEC country that play school ball and are also on travel club teams. It's out there, but I don't think it is or will become the norm.

Good point -- before the high school level, it's pretty much all club teams of some sort.

Remember from where? Warinner is a better coach than you give him credit for being. Remember Faalele (and Dunlap) is in for spring practice. He isn't the show up after HS graduation 250pound OLman you are used to. This is a different level of football for Gopher fans to get comfortable with watching. Fleck has to win this year. He knows that. Improving the level of recruiting depends on it.

??? The 1 year practice only and 1 year playing is the experience he has??? His junior year was practice only and so he only played during his senior year.

I wasn't ragging on warinner or fleck's recruiting in any way...

Guys, you are being trolled! We have some excellent excellent lineman coming in next year. Let’s not over analyze them before they even play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guys, you are being trolled! We have some excellent excellent lineman coming in next year. Let’s not over analyze them before they even play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guys...calm down. The people I've talked to say that there's a good chance based on what they have seen, that Daniel couk play next year if Dickson doesn't work out at RT or greene gets hurt. He's that gifted. He needs improved footwork but his kicks step is good, has great strength already and has shown to be able to handle high end DEs.

We have not seen ready made OL like this at MN before. He could play and yet his ceiling is still very high. It's unbelievable that we got this kid!
Future looks bright!

Guys...calm down. The people I've talked to say that there's a good chance based on what they have seen, that Daniel couk play next year if Dickson doesn't work out at RT or greene gets hurt. He's that gifted. He needs improved footwork but his kicks step is good, has great strength already and has shown to be able to handle high end DEs.

We have not seen ready made OL like this at MN before. He could play and yet his ceiling is still very high. It's unbelievable that we got this kid!
Future looks bright!

Any chance they'd let Blaise Andries play if someone was hurt? If Faalele is that much better than Blaise, then he should have been a much higher recruit.

On the other side, playing two freshmen o linemen and making a bowl game would be a huge selling point to some of our current targets like Carroll and Benhart.

Blaise will get plenty of PT as a Gopher. We need OL numbers and depth that doesn't drop off. The OL is going to get dinged and need time to heal. Hopefully we don't see more going into early retirement. The thing about Faalele and Dunlap is they combine outrageous size with athleticism. Faalele will have 150 pounds on B1G DEs. When you can apply that mass unto the body of a DE it will wear them down in a painful way.

On the other side, playing two freshmen o linemen and making a bowl game would be a huge selling point to some of our current targets like Carroll and Benhart.

So this year selling PT was a big recruiting benefit and next year having talented young guys already here will be a benefit? Under what scenario are we not benefitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's kind of fun to watch him just throw guys around as if he's Andre the Giant, and the pass rushers appear to be Kenny "Sodbuster" Jay or Jake "The Milkman" Milliman

Hey - show some respect - that's "The Very Capable Kenny Jay!" He may have been a jobber, but he at least put on a good show. Now Milliman, that was a different story.

Hey - show some respect - that's "The Very Capable Kenny Jay!" He may have been a jobber, but he at least put on a good show. Now Milliman, that was a different story.
I would like to add "Scrap-iron" George Gadaski and "Madman" Jose Contero to that list

Any chance they'd let Blaise Andries play if someone was hurt? If Faalele is that much better than Blaise, then he should have been a much higher recruit.

I thought they were moving Andries inside to G. I think he's a likely contributor in 2018 at either T or G.

Can someone look and see if this game is being broadcast again? I saw about two minutes of it yesterday and might be interested to see more. I'm at a resort that has very basic Direct TV so I can't search for other showings.

Can someone look and see if this game is being broadcast again? I saw about two minutes of it yesterday and might be interested to see more. I'm at a resort that has very basic Direct TV so I can't search for other showings.

You can watch the replay on watchespn.com

You can watch the replay on watchespn.com

Thanks. I'll see if that works. I tried to watch Gophers St.Cloud hockey the other night on CBS Sports App, but there was no Charter Spectrum login available, so I've been in an anti-sports-streaming funk for a couple days. Internet blows here too, but the TV does work.

I think they replayed it again last night. Looks like next showing is Saturday at 7 am central on ESPNU.

Top Bottom