ESPN Under Armor game on ESPN2 now

mggoph

Section 112, Row 1
Reaction score
Faalele and Dunlap playing.

Faalele is a monster.

I only saw him a little bit, but he's easy to pick out by size.

The couple plays I watch, on a passing down, the defensive went low and he essentially pushed him to the ground and laid down on top of him.

On a running play, he didn't seem to hold his block long enough, the running back was a little slow with hitting the hole.

Note: I've never coached offensive line. I've never played offensive line at any level, nor have I read any books or articles about offensive line play.

Lol... It’s best not to get back up after he kicks your arse cause he’s gonna woop you again..

Good coaching will teach him not to stand over the lifeless body like Ali over Liston. Get down the field and destroy somebody else's ass.

Just based on size or size/ability/technique/effectiveness?
You be the judge.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You be the judge.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's pretty awesome but he does need to keep hitting dudes, play isn't over yet.

Good coaching will teach him not to stand over the lifeless body like Ali over Liston. Get down the field and destroy somebody else's ass.

You're probably right. Scouting reports I've seen say he plays with an edge, so I'm not panicking on the kid by any means. But, that motor and killer instinct required aren't always a learned skill. You have to want to hit somebody down in your soul. Hopefully just an outlier because it's an exhibition game.

Impressive. But, get to the second level and hit somebody else. Nothing will get in a coach's dog house faster than standing around before the whistle blows. <b>Something tells me that's especially the case for Fleck, </b>who sprints the bathroom after his morning coffee on his day off.

Come on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought pancake blocks were on running plays, where you drive the DL backward 5yards and then basically cause him to fall over backwards with you landing on top of him?

Clearly from reading this thread, experts here have already determined Faalele is a bust and shouldn't even bother reporting to campus this month.

Clearly from reading this thread, experts here have already determined Faalele is a bust and shouldn't even bother reporting to campus this month.

Yep, that sounds like what folks are saying.

Faalele has natural talent and size, but his inexperience playing football shows. 1 year practice only and 1 year playing if I remember correctly.

Watched the entire game and kept an eye on Faalele during his snaps. My takeaways...

- his pass protection is very good. Of the 15-20 pass plays, his guy was either stonewalled or forced 10 yards upfield. Only time I recall his defender even sniffing the QB was a rollout away from play where QB stayed in pocket forever avoiding rush. QB eventually tucked and ran for positive yards.

- run blocking was more difficult to assess given tough to determine blocking assignments. He was part of a double team a lot of times and did his job. I'd say he did ok here, not as impressive as pass pro though.

It's kind of fun to watch him just throw guys around as if he's Andre the Giant, and the pass rushers appear to be Kenny "Sodbuster" Jay or Jake "The Milkman" Milliman

Waste of a scholarship perhaps, bust would imply he was something already. Had Claeys signed him he’d be an all-American. PJ doesn’t have a clue about what makes a good lineman.

I thought pancake blocks were on running plays, where you drive the DL backward 5yards and then basically cause him to fall over backwards with you landing on top of him?

Yep, a true pancake is when you land on top of a guy, essentially flattening him as if he were a pancake. This was just knocking a guy down twice.

Faalele has natural talent and size, but his inexperience playing football shows. 1 year practice only and 1 year playing if I remember correctly.

Remember from where? Warinner is a better coach than you give him credit for being. Remember Faalele (and Dunlap) is in for spring practice. He isn't the show up after HS graduation 250pound OLman you are used to. This is a different level of football for Gopher fans to get comfortable with watching. Fleck has to win this year. He knows that. Improving the level of recruiting depends on it.

Waste of a scholarship perhaps, bust would imply he was something already. Had Claeys signed him he’d be an all-American. PJ doesn’t have a clue about what makes a good lineman.

I guess that the head coaches from Arkansas, Florida., Florida St., Georgia., Hawaii., LSU, Miami(Fla), Michigan., Oregon St., and Central Florida also don't have a clue about what makes a good lineman since they also offered him a scholarship

Top Bottom