Kevin Durant Donates $3 Million to Univ of Texas, Record Gift by Ex-Basketball Player

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Bleacher Report:

Golden State Warriors superstar Kevin Durant is donating $3 million to the University of Texas to support the basketball program and the Center for Sports Leadership and Innovation, according to a press release from the school.

"My time as a Longhorn helped build the foundation for who I am today as a player and a person, and the UT team will always be my family," Durant said. "It's important to me to continue to give back to The University and ensure that future student-athletes have all the opportunities they need to succeed. It's an honor to have such a close and unique relationship with Texas Basketball, and I'm grateful to be able to contribute."

According to the press release, Durant's donation was the largest in school history from a former basketball student-athlete and amongst the largest ever from a professional athlete to his or her former school. Texas will name the main entrance to Denton A. Cooley Pavilion the "Kevin Durant Texas Basketball Center."

Durant spent one season with the Longhorns, averaging 25.8 points, 11.1 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game. He was a consensus first-team All-America selection and swept the Player of the Year awards, winning the Naismith and Wooden awards and the Rupp Trophy.

He led Texas to the Round of 32 in the 2006-07 season before declaring for the NBA draft, where he was selected No. 2 overall by the Seattle Supersonics behind only Ohio State's Greg Oden, who was taken by the Portland Trail Blazers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Go Gophers!!

Incredible. Durant is a pretty impressive individual.

Very nice donation by Durant. Lots of former Gopher baseball players have made sizable contributions to the program. Any basketball or football guys? Tim Brewster made a big donation to TCF, if I recall correctly.

One more reason to go after one and done recruits.

Kudos to Durant. Glad to see him get some good publicity amongst the barrage of negativity thrown his way.

Kudos to Durant. Glad to see him get some good publicity amongst the barrage of negativity thrown his way.

A lot of people on Twitter defend him...he just happens to be running most of those accounts.

That's awesome.

Sadly I don't think anything like that is too likely to happen here in the near future. No NBA players, no star NFL players with huge contracts (Decker being the closest), and not a great recent track record in the athletics department.

per Bleacher Report:

Golden State Warriors superstar Kevin Durant is donating $3 million to the University of Texas to support the basketball program and the Center for Sports Leadership and Innovation, according to a press release from the school.

"My time as a Longhorn helped build the foundation for who I am today as a player and a person, and the UT team will always be my family," Durant said. "It's important to me to continue to give back to The University and ensure that future student-athletes have all the opportunities they need to succeed. It's an honor to have such a close and unique relationship with Texas Basketball, and I'm grateful to be able to contribute."

According to the press release, Durant's donation was the largest in school history from a former basketball student-athlete and amongst the largest ever from a professional athlete to his or her former school. Texas will name the main entrance to Denton A. Cooley Pavilion the "Kevin Durant Texas Basketball Center."

Durant spent one season with the Longhorns, averaging 25.8 points, 11.1 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game. He was a consensus first-team All-America selection and swept the Player of the Year awards, winning the Naismith and Wooden awards and the Rupp Trophy.

He led Texas to the Round of 32 in the 2006-07 season before declaring for the NBA draft, where he was selected No. 2 overall by the Seattle Supersonics behind only Ohio State's Greg Oden, who was taken by the Portland Trail Blazers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Go Gophers!!

It is a great gesture by Durant, but UT has more money than they can even spend. Kind of sad that a gift like this did not go to a school that could really use the cash to do something great with. Imagine what a gift like that would mean to Davidson if Curry wrote them a check for 3 million?

Top Bottom