5 former Gophers will compete in the NFL playoffs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

Five former University of Minnesota football players will compete in the upcoming NFL playoffs, which begin Saturday.

De'Vondre Campbell (Atlanta Falcons), Eric Decker (Tennessee Titans), Eric Murray (Kansas City Chiefs), Jalen Myrick (Jacksonville Jaguars) and Marcus Sherels (Minnesota Vikings) all have their sights set on winning Super Bowl LII in Minneapolis on Feb. 4, 2018.

Campbell and the Falcons face Los Angeles on Saturday. The second-year linebacker played in the Super Bowl last season with Atlanta. This year, he has started 16 games and has made 92 tackles, four pass breakups, two sacks and one forced fumble.

Decker and Murray will face one another on Saturday as the Titans battle the Chiefs. Decker, who is in his eighth season in the league, has made 54 catches for 563 yards and one touchdown this season. Murray has played in 14 games and has made 36 tackles this year. He has one sack and has also broken up five passes.

Myrick, who is a rookie with the Jaguars, will play in a home game against Buffalo on Sunday. Myrick has played in five games this season and has broken up one pass. He has also returned one kickoff for 18 yards.

The lone Gopher in the playoffs who will not play this weekend is defensive back Marcus Sherels. The Rochester, Minn., native and the Vikings finished the season 13-3 and received a first-round bye. The Vikings will host a playoff game at 3:40 p.m. on Jan. 14. Sherels has six tackles in 16 games this year. He has also returned 11 kickoffs for 271 yards and 39 punts for 372 yards.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010418aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Campbell had a nice season for the Falcons, he was built like an NFL player so good to see him having success at the next level. Unfortunate to see Decker fade into the background some the past few seasons but he has had a solid career as well.

Campbell had a nice season for the Falcons, he was built like an NFL player so good to see him having success at the next level. Unfortunate to see Decker fade into the background some the past few seasons but he has had a solid career as well.

Deck has had a good career but the injuries have aged him a bit. Still putting up decent numbers though for a playoff team

It would be interesting to know what the record number of Gopher players in NFL playoffs is. This seems like a pretty solid number.

I was listening on the radio and it sounded like Decker was being defended by Murray when he scored a late TD. Great to hear about former Gophers battling one another in the NFL playoffs.

Campbell had a sack in tonight's game. Also saw Murray had one a few games ago on a corner blitz.

Campbell had a sack and a QB pressure that resulted in a incomplete pass.

Campbell has turned himself into a really good NFL player. He's on his way to a very good career.

Karl Klug from Caledonia, MN is a back-up defensive end for the Tenn. Titans. He was out for awhile with an injury but is back now. I know he is not a former Gopher but from a small town in southeast Minnesota. He played at Iowa. Wonder if the Gophers ever offered him. For some reason I think I remember him being a running back that got switched in college to the defensive side of the ball.

Loved watching Eric Decker and he had a horrible drop earlier in the game but then redeemed himself on the go ahead TD catch.

Not sure about the playoffs, but UMn has put as many as 5 players into the NFL All-Star game in the same season.

My guess is any season the Vikings of the 70s got into the playoffs, would be a season worth checking into.

Top Bottom