Murphy chasing Tim Duncan's double double record

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Couple questions about Murphy chasing Duncan's record of 17 straight double doubles.

Is the record just 17 straight at any point in the season, or is it 17 straight to start a season or both?

Do you think he gets 17? 18? When does it end? Does it end?

Personally, I thought he'd have a good chance to get to 10 or so but figured an off night, foul trouble, a blowout win that he got fewer minutes in or a really tough opponent would end his streak...but man, I was wrong. What he is doing is insane. In my opinion, he had an off-game vs Harvard and ended with a double double. So crazy.

Duncan's record is consecutive double-doubles to START a season. I hope Murph breaks the record because it was set by one of the greatest players ever (college and NBA), but I wonder if anyone would give a crap if the record was held by a guy named Ezekial Monroe of Coastal Carolina?

Is there a record for most consecutive double doubles that is not this record?

People may care less if it weren't Duncan but its still impressive, regardless. Murphy did say he idolized Duncan when he was growing up which makes sense since he is from San Antonio.

Came across this article, although it is from 2009.

http://newsok.com/article/3343059

"MEN single-season consecutive double-doubles
→1. Mel Counts, Oregon State (Nov. 30, 1963-March 10, 1964): 29
→2. Benoit Benjamin, Creighton (Nov. 24, 1984-Feb. 16, 1985): 27

→3. Lew Alcindor, UCLA (Dec. 27, 1967-March 23, 1968): 26

→4. Willie Naulls, UCLA (Dec. 2, 1955-March 9, 1956): 25

→5. Oscar Robertson, Cincinnati (Dec. 31, 1958-March 21, 1959): 23

→5. Jerry Lucas, Ohio State (Dec. 1, 1960-March 11, 1961): 23"

It also shows consecutive double-double records not held to a single season.

He should at least tie it on Saturday. Coach has helped him do it, I remember an earlier game where he needed another rebound in a blow out that coach put him back in late just to get it. So coach will probably continue to help if possible, the only thing that will stop this streak is an injury or an absolutely horrible game.

Those are some old records, wow. I was not alive for a single one of those streaks.

Will be interesting to see if Murphy can get onto that list!

My understanding is that Duncan does not hold the all time record for most consecutive double doubles to start the season, rather nobody has had more than him to start the season since 1993 or whenever it was.

Could be wrong.

it will be good once he breaks it because then Murphy doesn't have to worry about it anymore. have to imagine that the record is in the back of his mind during a game. that will disappear when breaks it.

i posted this in another thread but thought it would be relevant here. Watching the Wolves-Nets game last night, I found a NBA comparison for Jordan Murphy. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson of Brooklyn is a 6-7 power forward. Doesn't have a 3-point shot. If that guy can make it, why can't Murphy?

If Murphy lands anywhere in that group that is quite a collection of great players.

What Murph is doing is really amazing, I hope he can break Duncan's record. It did feel for a few minutes last night in the second half where they were trying to force it in to Murphy to get the last few points he needed to get to 10 but overall what he is doing just fits perfectly into the game plan and most nights it does not feel forced at all. He is such a great rebounder that getting 10 a night seems almost easy for him which is crazy because 10 rebounds a game is not easy to do (currently he is the only guy in the BIG averaging over 10).

it will be good once he breaks it because then Murphy doesn't have to worry about it anymore. have to imagine that the record is in the back of his mind during a game. that will disappear when breaks it.

i posted this in another thread but thought it would be relevant here. Watching the Wolves-Nets game last night, I found a NBA comparison for Jordan Murphy. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson of Brooklyn is a 6-7 power forward. Doesn't have a 3-point shot. If that guy can make it, why can't Murphy?

Murphy will absolutely get a shot at the next level and if he plays the way he is playing in college will most likely find his way onto a roster. The good news for us is that with his size and what not he isn't likely to ever get into the lottery pick discussion which means he is very likely to come back for his senior year.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson is a small forward who plays some small-ball power forward. He runs the floor like a gazelle and is a an excellent perimeter defender. They are not especially similar in how they play the game. I love Murphy, but he will need to improve his perimeter game (both offensively and defensively) to have a real shot at the next level.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson is a small forward who plays some small-ball power forward. He runs the floor like a gazelle and is a an excellent perimeter defender. They are not especially similar in how they play the game. I love Murphy, but he will need to improve his perimeter game (both offensively and defensively) to have a real shot at the next level.

This.

I will say I think Murphy can make it in the NBA but he isn't Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

Swanigan had 28 double doubles last year for Purdue. Purdue played 35 games. https://biggie4npoy.com/his-stats/

20-20 Club seems like a big deal too based on those included in the link. Murphy doesn't have 20 rebounds yet this year and has scored 20 or more 6 times. So, hopefully we have that to look forward to. Swanigan had four 20-20 games.

Consistency is huge!!! We know what we are going to get from Murphy night in and night out!!!

Loving our high motor Murphy ! I know he wants to develop his 3 point range but during the BIG season I'd much rather have Mason, Coffey or Dupree shooting them.

Jerry Lucas got 23 inches...impressive!!:cool:

Without Lynch, Murphy is going to grab 20 boards a night now! Ha. It will be interesting to watch his production with BK in there instead...

I would say Murphy is more like a Jae Crowder type player without a 3-point shot. I agree that he will need to develop one to see much success beyond Europe or a 2-way G-league contract. But given the circumstances, I don't think the B1G season is the time for him to try to develop it.

Top Bottom