UCF Knights will raise a national championship banner.

Brigham Young won a national title after beating a weak Michigan squad in a has been bowl. UCF beat a team that has beaten both the contenders. I'm on the UCF bandwagon! I hereby declare UCF the 2017/2018 National Champions!
(Thank god because now I don't feel the need to watch the bogus championship between two loser SEC schools.) [emoji41]

Maybe asterisk it with Group of 5 National Champion.

Alternatively, simply have some sort of official sounding poll name them co-champions with Al or Ga. Industry of all manner makes up fake certifications and endorsements to fool the public.

After all, there really is no legitimate reason to limit the field and block undefeated FBS teams other than inertia. Tradition is clearly a canard. Just expand the playoff to a fairer and legitimate system

In a sense it would be nice to have a final 8 to determine the championship. However conferences that aren't considered "major" will always complain that they were left out and pout about it and perhaps rightfully so and so it could go on and on. The larger conferences are up against pretty good competition week after week and get pretty beat up where as the smaller conferences as to clout don't get beat up and can have a couple powder puff type games before a big one.

So sorry UCF you didn't win a National Championship. Need to respect the system and accept the fact that you're conference is weak as a whole even though you have a couple tough games during the year.

Maybe asterisk it with Group of 5 National Champion.

Alternatively, simply have some sort of official sounding poll name them co-champions with Al or Ga. Industry of all manner makes up fake certifications and endorsements to fool the public.

After all, there really is no legitimate reason to limit the field and block undefeated FBS teams other than inertia. Tradition is clearly a canard. Just expand the playoff to a fairer and legitimate system

You know, at first I kind of laughed and thought the idea was nuts, but the more I think about it, go for it UCF. They do have as much right as anyone, once they beat Auburn.

Brings us back to need for 8 team play-off (cut it there). 5 conference champs, the the best of non BCS teams and 2 wildcards. Quarterfinals at home of higher seeded team (8@1, 7@2, 6@3, 5@4), sometime the week before Christmas, semi-finals and championship game as they have it now. I'm also with Saban (for once) that they should have semi's on a Saturday and the national championship the following Monday to give everyone a couple more days. I feel for Georgia having to come all the way back from SoCal and then get ready. They are lucky the game is in Atlanta this year.

I agree with your point. The true champ is the CFP winner.

Alabama was never ranked 1st in 1941.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1941_NCAA_football_rankings

We agree. Cheers. We are just saying the same thing different ways.

If 1941 Alabama was never ranked #1, then I denounce their claimed national championship as fake, as well

I love this. The same question is mentioned in the article at the beginning of the thread. I wonder what the group of 5 will do. Why should they stay in the same division if they have no chance of a "true national title".

G5 have nothing to gain and much to lose if they try to leave FBS. The only way something like this happens is if the P5 leave the NCAA. Note impossible, but I don't think likely.

They have talked about creating their own version of the CFP, for just G5 teams. But how would that have solved things here? Say UCF crushes the Mountain West champion and the MAC champion. Then what? They're still undefeated. Won't they still claim to be national champions?

Just expand the playoff to a fairer and legitimate system

Would be great to see the five P5 conf champs with the top G5 conf champ, either in a 6 team bracket or 8 team bracket.

Skeptical we get there, but we will see ...

Can we hang a final four banner since that also never happened.

I’m as large of a proponent of UCF having a title shot. If I was an AP voter I would rank them one. But if they aren’t awarded a championship by anyone who awards one it is pretty silly.

Since we are in the Big Ten, this would never happen but if the gophers had an undefeated season, were the only undefeated FBS team at the end of the season and beat a team who beat both the playoff champion and playoff runner up but did not make into the CFB playoff, I would absolutely think we were the best team and most deserving of a national championship.

UCF literally did every single thing in their control that they could have done to make the playoff but they didn't. I think you either need to have a rule stating an undefeated FBS team regardless of conference gets an auto bid to the CFB or the group of 5 needs to separate and create their own subdivision. As it is now, there is literally nothing they can do to win a national championship which is an absolute farce.

By default, does this mean they’re also the state of Florida champions? Does Brewster owe them rings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for them, it's a free country. Just don't ask anyone else to give a sh*t.

1941 Alabama finished 3rd in the SEC but they claim a national championship. The Gophers were consensus national Champions in all the major polls.

One of Mason’s teams finished fourth. Not trying to start a Mason argument here, but...

Go for it UCF. The rest of the World will be laughing with you, not at you. Seriously.

Go for it UCF. The rest of the World will be laughing with you, not at you. Seriously.

A playoff field chosen by a committee of mainly career athletic directors that haven’t played since high school or their D3 days (if that) is not at all funny. Not one bit.

How about don't schedule Maine or Austin Peay? You want a shot as a non P5 team then schedule accordingly.

A playoff field chosen by a committee of mainly career athletic directors that haven’t played since high school or their D3 days (if that) is not at all funny. Not one bit.

Kirby Hocutt - 4 years; Kansas State FB (1995)
Frank Beamer - 3 years; VA Tech FB
Jeff Bower - Southern Mississippi FB
Chris Howard - US Air Force Academy player (Academic All-American and Rhodes Scholar 1991)
Willingham - former Michigan State player
Gene Smith - Notre Dame (1973 National Champion)
Bobby Johnson - played CB / WR @ Clemson
Tom Jernstedt - played at Oregon

Jeff Long is a D-III graduate though - Ohio Wesleyan

I have no issue with UCF doing this under the current circumstances. I had already figured some polling organization would give them a national title and them claiming one makes sense. The team did everything they needed to do, they won every single game on their schedule, those players did everything they were asked. Same went for 2010 TCU, 2008 Utah, 2006 Boise State and 2004 Utah.

In practically every other sport, if you win every game, you win a championship. College football at the FCS, DII and DIII levels, college hockey, college basketball, nfl, nba, nhl, mlb. Obviously the latter have no real shot of winning every game they play, but the point stands that in any other sport if you pull off an undefeated season or playoff run, you likely raise a trophy.

I think UCF doing this does a few things. One, it gives those players something more than just a bowl win. Two, it sends a message to possibly expand the playoff. And three, it raises a question about the future of the Group of 5. Should they continue playing in the same division as the Power 5? Whether it was the BCS or CFP, undefeated schools from the "mid-majors" never got a shot at a title. Boise State, Utah, TCU, all of them won every single game, but won't be remembered as champions from those years. Maybe another division makes sense if the CFP continues the way it is.

Pretty sure that 2010 TCU and 2008 Utah team would have been in the playoff had it been four teams back then.

In a sense it would be nice to have a final 8 to determine the championship. However conferences that aren't considered "major" will always complain that they were left out and pout about it and perhaps rightfully so and so it could go on and on. The larger conferences are up against pretty good competition week after week and get pretty beat up where as the smaller conferences as to clout don't get beat up and can have a couple powder puff type games before a big one.

So sorry UCF you didn't win a National Championship. Need to respect the system and accept the fact that you're conference is weak as a whole even though you have a couple tough games during the year.

Give auto bids to all 10 Conferences and you would see more balance in recruiting across the country.

Kirby Hocutt - 4 years; Kansas State FB (1995)
Frank Beamer - 3 years; VA Tech FB
Jeff Bower - Southern Mississippi FB
Chris Howard - US Air Force Academy player (Academic All-American and Rhodes Scholar 1991)
Willingham - former Michigan State player
Gene Smith - Notre Dame (1973 National Champion)
Bobby Johnson - played CB / WR @ Clemson
Tom Jernstedt - played at Oregon

Jeff Long is a D-III graduate though - Ohio Wesleyan

Ok, these guys played at a higher level. Where did Condi Rice play? I’ve never understood what qualifies these guys (and Condi, bless her heart) to pick teams over Jonny Nobody off the street. It strikes me as a wierd paternalistic Judge Smales you”like like it” system rather than a meritocracy.

We don’t need former beat cops writing the law. Former privates and corporals shouldn’t be on the National Security Council or commanding divisions. Auto mechanics shouldn’t be designing cars and safety systems.

Ok, these guys played at a higher level. Where did Condi Rice play? I’ve never understood what qualifies these guys (and Condi, bless her heart) to pick teams over Jonny Nobody off the street. It strikes me as a wierd paternalistic Judge Smales you”like like it” system rather than a meritocracy.

We don’t need former beat cops writing the law. Former privates and corporals shouldn’t be on the National Security Council or commanding divisions. Auto mechanics shouldn’t be designing cars and safety systems.

Would the greatest players in the history of football have picked UCF to be in the playoff? No.

Some reasons why reported in this article.

I also believe she is no longer on the committee.

It wasn’t their fault, but if they had played Georgia Tech, as scheduled, they would have had a lot more buzz as a legitimate national title contender. Until Auburn, the Knights only win over a P5 opponent was against Maryland, who seemed decent at the time, but finished dead last in the Big Ten East.

The “BCS-busters” of that era used to beat two BCS-conference teams.

It wasn’t their fault, but if they had played Georgia Tech, as scheduled, they would have had a lot more buzz as a legitimate national title contender. Until Auburn, the Knights only win over a P5 opponent was against Maryland, who seemed decent at the time, but finished dead last in the Big Ten East.

The “BCS-busters” of that era used to beat two BCS-conference teams.

You need to try to fill you non conference schedule with P5 teams if you aren't one.

Would the greatest players in the history of football have picked UCF to be in the playoff? No.

Is it that difficult to conceive of a scenario where deserving teams are left out? Like 2017, for example. I mean, hold a gun to someone’s head and sure they have their biases and will make a safe pick but nobody really “knows” who the best teams are. Granted, AL is probably a safe pick...I’m not going out on a limb when I say there are people that probably felt OU was better than GA. But would anyone bet their life on that even if they “just know” OU or GA is better. No chance, they are talking out of their assess. Now after the semifinals we know GA is better and deserving of playing for the Championship. (even if just slightly so). We didn’t know a week ago.

Is it that difficult to conceive of a scenario where deserving teams are left out? Like 2017, for example. I mean, hold a gun to someone’s head and sure they have their biases and will make a safe pick but nobody really “knows” who the best teams are. Granted, AL is probably a safe pick...I’m not going out on a limb when I say there are people that probably felt OU was better than GA. But would anyone bet their life on that even if they “just know” OU or GA is better. No chance, they are talking out of their assess. Now after the semifinals we know GA is better and deserving of playing for the Championship. (even if just slightly so). We didn’t know a week ago.

I don't care, I liked it fine when it was up to the polls to decide. I didn't care that some years there were two champions. I like that college football is different, it made the whole year super exciting. That's why it's so much better than NFL football. The more teams you add to a playoff the worse the sport will be to me.

Some times teams will get left out no matter what, but at the end of the year they know they should have made a tougher schedule or shouldn't have lost that game that left it up to others to decide their fate.

Some reasons why reported in this article.

I also believe she is no longer on the committee.

Maybe Stanford ought to put her in charge?

Maybe a second grader should lead space marines.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5tQXrw1-hPc?start=10" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't care, I liked it fine when it was up to the polls to decide. I didn't care that some years there were two champions. I like that college football is different, it made the whole year super exciting. That's why it's so much better than NFL football. The more teams you add to a playoff the worse the sport will be to me.

Why? Super exciting for what reason? To maybe garner enough brownie points to compete in a year end (fixed) beauty pageant?

Every game IS important - conference champion. Why deny players of conference champion teams the right to play for a championship? Get rid of conference championship games (and divisions as far as I’m concerned) and substitute a tourney of champions. No beauty pageants, no guesswork.

I’m sure you all dropped 10k bets on UCF defeating Auburn. The all-seeing eye.

Why? Super exciting for what reason? To maybe garner enough brownie points to compete in a year end (fixed) beauty pageant?

Every game IS important - conference champion. Why deny players of conference champion teams the right to play for a championship? Get rid of conference championship games (and divisions as far as I’m concerned) and substitute a tourney of champions. No beauty pageants, no guesswork.

Super exciting because every win and loss matters, unlike the NFL.

How about don't schedule Maine or Austin Peay? You want a shot as a non P5 team then schedule accordingly.

They scheduled Maryland. Maryland is one of the most talented, speediest teams in the country. What more do you people want?

Top Bottom