UCF Knights will raise a national championship banner.

We are only having this discussion because of who Auburn beat, not who UCF beat.

Yeah, not to take anything away from UCF because going undefeated is impressive and they can't help that their conference is garbage but if you look at their schedule the only really impressive win is Auburn (who had 3 loses going into the game) and to a lesser degree their wins over a decent Memphis team.

They had a great season but they don't deserve a National Championship for beating a bunch of cupcakes and one really good team.

...there was at least one major voting poll (usually Coaches or AP) that voted the team #1 at the end of the (regular) season.

Lesson #1: Have a clue about what you're talking about for once.

Lesson #2: Learn about the Wolfe poll (more on this after you next ridiculous opinion.

...but I would like to the NCAA come down with a ruling the disallows this.

Why would they disallow this? You can read about the criteria in the linked .pdf and the Peter Wolfe rankings are listed in the official NCAA Record Book as a "major selection". This means that their rankings are considered legitimate national title selectors by the NCAA itself. - http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2017/FBS.pdf

NATIONAL CHAMPION MAJOR SELECTIONS (1896 TO PRESENT)
The criteria for being included in this historical list of poll selectors is that the poll be national in scope, either through distribution in newspaper, television, radio and/or computer online. The list includes both former selectors, who were instrumental in the sport of college football, and selectors who were among the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) selectors.

Wolfe (1992-present), a mathematically based power rating matrix developed by Peter Wolfe and Ross Baker

QED

Since we are in the Big Ten, this would never happen but if the gophers had an undefeated season, were the only undefeated FBS team at the end of the season and beat a team who beat both the playoff champion and playoff runner up but did not make into the CFB playoff, I would absolutely think we were the best team and most deserving of a national championship.

UCF literally did every single thing in their control that they could have done to make the playoff but they didn't. I think you either need to have a rule stating an undefeated FBS team regardless of conference gets an auto bid to the CFB or the group of 5 needs to separate and create their own subdivision. As it is now, there is literally nothing they can do to win a national championship which is an absolute farce.

If the Gophers claimed a National Championship in that scenario, Reusse's head would explode.

Learn about the Wolfe poll

It's not a poll, it's a mathematical/computer ranking, like Sagarin, Massey, etc.

The BCS replaced some of their original computer rankings with different computer rankings that did not factor in margin of victory, such as the Wolfe ranking. It was one of the BCS computer rankings from 2001-2013 (the end of the BCS and its ranking formula).

I was not only explicit about being an actual (human voting) poll, I listed the two major (human voting) polls that were each a separate component of the BCS and are still today considered major polls.

You can read about the criteria in the linked .pdf and the Peter Wolfe rankings are listed in the official NCAA Record Book as a "major selector".

Thanks for the linked pdf, great reference document.

The Wolfe ranking, like all the computer rankings that were used in the BCS computer rankings system at one time or another, were included in the list because they were a piece of a larger system that did indeed select the #1 and #2 teams in the country at the conclusion of the regular season, and whom then played in a bowl game to determine the national champion.

This means that their rankings are considered legitimate national title selectors by the NCAA itself

100% incorrect, and false conclusion, on your part here.

It does not say that in the document, and such an interpretation is completely false. As I said, the Wolfe computer ranking used to be one of the computer rankings in the BCS. Nothing more, nothing less. It did not solely determine a national champion in the BCS era. And in the document, is only ever listed (for the 2001 - 2013 seasons) as selecting a team in the sense of the BCS national champion. Again, nothing more, nothing less.

Sure, it appears that Dr. Wolfe has continued to publish the results of his computer ranking, even though the BCS is now defunct. And it does appear that his computer ranking has UCF as the #1 team at the end of the 2017 regular season.

But, once more for posterity, the Wolfe computer ranking has never, ever been used as a basis to solely select the best team in the country.

So once again, UCF is in the wrong if they're attempting to use the Wolfe computer ranking to justify its claimed national championship. ESPECIALLY since we've been in an era where, at least, the top two teams play a game to determine the champion, since, at least, the 1998 season.

I stand by my conclusion that UCF's claimed national championship is a farce, and would support a NCAA ruling that it shall not be allowed to make such a claim or attempt to advertise such a claim via banners, printed material, online, etc.

Last but not least, I now see why Alabama claims a national championship in 1941. According to the document, the Houlgate mathematical ranking chose Alabama as the best team in 1941, even though 12 other polls/rankings chose Minnesota.

Piss poor logic by UCF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lesson #1: Have a clue about what you're talking about for once.

Lesson #2: Learn about the Wolfe poll (more on this after you next ridiculous opinion.

Why would they disallow this? You can read about the criteria in the linked .pdf and the Peter Wolfe rankings are listed in the official NCAA Record Book as a "major selection". This means that their rankings are considered legitimate national title selectors by the NCAA itself. - http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2017/FBS.pdf

NATIONAL CHAMPION MAJOR SELECTIONS (1896 TO PRESENT)
The criteria for being included in this historical list of poll selectors is that the poll be national in scope, either through distribution in newspaper, television, radio and/or computer online. The list includes both former selectors, who were instrumental in the sport of college football, and selectors who were among the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) selectors.

Wolfe (1992-present), a mathematically based power rating matrix developed by Peter Wolfe and Ross Baker

QED

I don't think being a picked by selector of selectors means you are a national champ when the process for determining the national champ is already very clearly ..... not just being picked by some "selector".

Even if the UCF claims are bogus I take some pleasure in thinking there is yet another college football team that has more National Titles than Wisconsin.

:)

Even if the UCF claims are bogus I take some pleasure in thinking there is yet another college football team that has more National Titles than Wisconsin.

Until Wisc gets into the game....

+1.

Go Gophers!!

Good for them. It's more deserved than several Alabama claimed championships.

"If you take the long view of the history of college football, there's an awful lot of national championships being claimed by universities that didn't accomplish what we accomplished this year in those respective seasons so we feel we're more than justified to claim our first national championship, and we think it'll be the first of many," White told ESPN.com.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...cf-knights-raise-national-championship-banner

Does the "Championship" banner have an asterisk on it?

Already know it.

I will take your lack of response to the rest of the post as your admission of defeat. Glad I could help educate you

Because, just like now, you don't even know what you're arguing.

Honestly, I typically ignore you. I shall continue.

You go back to sticking your head in the sand, if you like. That makes life easy

You go back to sticking your head in the sand, if you like. That makes life easy

I don't know why I'm even responding to this, but here I am.

I originally responded to you after you posted "But all of the "claimed" national championships that I'm aware of it, there was at least one major voting poll (usually Coaches or AP) that voted the team #1 at the end of the (regular) season."

My response was pointing you to a major poll, as recognized by the NCAA, that in fact, did vote them #1 at the end of the (regular) season. Period. Paragraph. Your point was wrong. You don't want to accept that, so you responded with:

"I was not only explicit about being an actual (human voting) poll..."

Again, I point you to the original post "...at least one major voting poll (usually Coaches or AP)..." to which you wrote that you "Already know it" about what explicit means. I know it's childish, but since I have to point this out to a childish poster, here is the dictionary definition of explicit - ex·plic·it - adjective - 1. stated clearly and in detail, leaving no room for confusion or doubt. By originally writing "at least" and "usually" violates the definition. And you never explicitly or even casually mentioned that it must be (in your eyes) human based in your original post.

I further wrote "This means that their rankings are considered legitimate national title selectors by the NCAA itself".

Your "well thought out response" /s was: "100% incorrect, and false conclusion, on your part here".

NATIONAL CHAMPION MAJOR SELECTIONS (1896 TO PRESENT) - on page 108 of previously linked .pdf you will see the Wolfe poll listed.

Don't expect a response from me on your next post where you try to change your story once again.

QED

My response was pointing you to a major poll, as recognized by the NCAA, that in fact, did vote them #1 at the end of the (regular) season.

I explained why this is wrong post #65.

You did not care to take to time to read or understand why you are wrong. Cliff notes version:

- a computer ranking isn't a poll
- the Wolfe computer ranking is on the list only because it, like several other computer rankings, were part of the BCS selection formula, from 2001-2013
- in other words, the Wolfe computer ranking has never been recognize by the NCAA or anyone else as a poll that has selected a national champion

They can pretend all they want, but they aren't the champs.
And they would be well within their rights to say "Let us prove it". The lack of a full tourney in D1 football is ridiculous. Every other league, even the pros, has a tourney and the last guy standing is the winner. It not just a matter of opinion.

And they would be well within their rights to say "Let us prove it". The lack of a full tourney in D1 football is ridculous. Every other league, even the pro, has a tourney and the last guy standing is the winner. It not just a matter of opinion.

And that's one reason D1 football is the best sport there is.

And they would be well within their rights to say "Let us prove it". The lack of a full tourney in D1 football is ridculous. Every other league, even the pro, has a tourney and the last guy standing is the winner. It not just a matter of opinion.

Why is the performance of a team during a 2,3,4 game stretch at the end of the year any more meaningful for declaring a champion? The best team doesn't always win the championship in a playoff setting either.

Why is the performance of a team during a 2,3,4 game stretch at the end of the year any more meaningful for declaring a champion? The best team doesn't always win the championship in a playoff setting either.
Huh? So there is some other metric that proves a certain team is absolutly the "best"? And this team would always win a given matchup with all certainty? Talk about taking the fun out of it.

Given that the Top 4 CFP teams fluctuate quite a bit during the season and right up until week 13 it seems logical to conclude we don’t necessarily have the best 4 teams in the CFP in week 14. A playoff is a time-honored method of determining a winner.

If you want to award Clemson the Natty this year because hey, #1 seed, then by all means but I’d prefer to see the teams settle it on the field. I’m not alone.

Top Bottom