UCF Knights will raise a national championship banner.

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
Good for them. It's more deserved than several Alabama claimed championships.

"If you take the long view of the history of college football, there's an awful lot of national championships being claimed by universities that didn't accomplish what we accomplished this year in those respective seasons so we feel we're more than justified to claim our first national championship, and we think it'll be the first of many," White told ESPN.com.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...cf-knights-raise-national-championship-banner

Everyone laughs at "claimed" national championships and recognizes how ridiculous they are. But hey, you do you, UCF.

Credit to the handful of other mid-majors who were the only undefeated teams at season's end over the years who elected to stay out of this nonsense.

Meaningless.

The "claimed" national championship era had no instrument aside from polling to crown champions. Even the Gophers have a National Championship claim that is laughable. I think UCF should have been part of a playoff, unfortunately the restriction to 4 teams makes it difficult. Hopefully this can add some fuel to the fire for expanding the playoff.

The best part from the AD: "He also heavily criticized the selection committee for being too subjective in its rankings, believes the BCS was a more equitable way to rank teams. White also is in favor of an eight-team playoff."

In the BCS system, UCF would've ranked 9th, so not only would they still have been nowhere close to a four-team playoff, they also wouldn't have made an eight-team playoff.

<strike></strike><strike>Participation</strike> Championship trophies for everyone!

I mean...they did beat the team that beat the two national title contenders....:rolleyes:

But all of the "claimed" national championships that I'm aware of it, there was at least one major voting poll (usually Coaches or AP) that voted the team #1 at the end of the (regular) season.

This is an outright farce. Perhaps UCF will be ranked well inside the top 10 in the final rankings, but won't sniff #1, which is correct.

I doubt anything will happen, but I would like to the NCAA come down with a ruling the disallows this.

But all of the "claimed" national championships that I'm aware of it, there was at least one major voting poll (usually Coaches or AP) that voted the team #1 at the end of the (regular) season.

1941 Alabama finished 3rd in the SEC but they claim a national championship. The Gophers were consensus national Champions in all the major polls.

1973 Alabama finished #1 in the coaches poll but the final vote was before they lost the sugar bowl to Notre Dame. They finished 4th in the AP poll after the loss.

There are others.

For me there is no question. Whoever wins the college football playoff is the true national champion. I can see UCF's point though. Alot of schools (mostly Alabama if you ask me) have claimed national Championships in seasons when they have accomplished much less.

Like it or not, there is a system in place for determining the National Champion so for UCF to claim a championship is just silly. Be thrilled with the 13-0 record, plaster it all over everything but don't call it a National Championship because it isn't.

They may be national champs, but do they know the difference between happiness and joy.

The NCAA has nothing to do with the college football national championship.

Neither does this farcical "championship" !

1941 Alabama finished 3rd in the SEC but they claim a national championship. The Gophers were consensus national Champions in all the major polls.

1973 Alabama finished #1 in the coaches poll but the final vote was before they lost the sugar bowl to Notre Dame. They finished 4th in the AP poll after the loss.

There are others.

For me there is no question. Whoever wins the college football playoff is the true national champion. I can see UCF's point though. Alot of schools (mostly Alabama if you ask me) have claimed national Championships in seasons when they have accomplished much less.

But the key is the ranking, not the W-L record.

If UCF was ranked #1 in the AP poll ... then I would support it. But they won't even be close. It is a farce, in my opinion.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But the key is the ranking, not the W-L record.

If UCF was ranked #1 in the AP poll ... then I would support it. But they won't even be close. It is a farce, in my opinion.

So then you would agree that Alabama's 1941 Championship is a "farce". Alabama was ranked #20th in the final AP poll. I have a feeling UCF will be higher than that.

I agree that whoever wins the CFP is the true champion.

The only points I am trying to make is:

1. UCF isn't the only school thats claimed national championships that are suspect.

2. Schools have claimed a national championship in the past that accomplished less than UCF did this year.

Is this Frost’s work again? He lobbied the coaches poll to vote Nebraska #1 in 1997, to give them a share of their last natty.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dOkiixy.gif

So then you would agree that Alabama's 1941 Championship is a "farce". Alabama was ranked #20th in the final AP poll. I have a feeling UCF will be higher than that.

Sure, but I believe they were ranked #1 at the end of the regular season. I'm not going to debate that.

But the point is, UCF wasn't ranked #1 by any major poll at the end of the regular season, or after it won the American Conf's championship game. And it won't be ranked #1 by any major poll after the CFP championship game is played.

That's all I'm saying here.

UCF AD announced they would.

Wow, this is literally a case of just throwing money away. They are rewarding coaches that are leaving and Frost will pocket 200K because of this. I guess UCF's athletic department is just rolling in dough to be able to throw away that kind of money at a fake championship that basically no one outside of their university will recognize.

Heck of a Christmas present for Frost I guess, he can buy one heck of a house warming gift for his new digs in Lincoln.

Sure, but I believe they were ranked #1 at the end of the regular season. I'm not going to debate that.

But the point is, UCF wasn't ranked #1 by any major poll at the end of the regular season, or after it won the American Conf's championship game. And it won't be ranked #1 by any major poll after the CFP championship game is played.

That's all I'm saying here.

I agree with your point. The true champ is the CFP winner.

Alabama was never ranked 1st in 1941.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1941_NCAA_football_rankings

We agree. Cheers. We are just saying the same thing different ways.

I have no issue with UCF doing this under the current circumstances. I had already figured some polling organization would give them a national title and them claiming one makes sense. The team did everything they needed to do, they won every single game on their schedule, those players did everything they were asked. Same went for 2010 TCU, 2008 Utah, 2006 Boise State and 2004 Utah.

In practically every other sport, if you win every game, you win a championship. College football at the FCS, DII and DIII levels, college hockey, college basketball, nfl, nba, nhl, mlb. Obviously the latter have no real shot of winning every game they play, but the point stands that in any other sport if you pull off an undefeated season or playoff run, you likely raise a trophy.

I think UCF doing this does a few things. One, it gives those players something more than just a bowl win. Two, it sends a message to possibly expand the playoff. And three, it raises a question about the future of the Group of 5. Should they continue playing in the same division as the Power 5? Whether it was the BCS or CFP, undefeated schools from the "mid-majors" never got a shot at a title. Boise State, Utah, TCU, all of them won every single game, but won't be remembered as champions from those years. Maybe another division makes sense if the CFP continues the way it is.

I think UCF doing this does a few things. One, it gives those players something more than just a bowl win. Two, it sends a message to possibly expand the playoff. And three, it raises a question about the future of the Group of 5. Should they continue playing in the same division as the Power 5? Whether it was the BCS or CFP, undefeated schools from the "mid-majors" never got a shot at a title. Boise State, Utah, TCU, all of them won every single game, but won't be remembered as champions from those years. Maybe another division makes sense if the CFP continues the way it is.

I love this. The same question is mentioned in the article at the beginning of the thread. I wonder what the group of 5 will do. Why should they stay in the same division if they have no chance of a "true national title".

This is an outright farce. Perhaps UCF will be ranked well inside the top 10 in the final rankings, but won't sniff #1, which is correct.

I doubt anything will happen, but I would like to the NCAA come down with a ruling the disallows this.
If the NCAA won't come down on North Carolina then I say to UCF..."Let your freak flag fly!!!" [emoji471]

This. The teams in the Group of 5 are truly the only teams in college athletics that have no shot at a National Title. Simply wrong

Top Bottom