***OFFICIAL ILLINOIS AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Pitino'so dilemma; a bench he doesn't trust in the second half or 2nd half fatigue defensively by his starters. Someone has to step up or it will be a frustrating season of what if's.

I'm not as concerned about the Gophers offense against the zone as many on here. Make a few more of the open 3s and it's not a discussion. They had a couple stretches where they passed the ball around the perimeter and jacked up a shot. The most effective offense against the zone is having Murphy flash in the high post, middle of the floor, moving the ball through him and having McBrayer or Coffey run the baseline. The times Murphy got the ball in the high post, he had an open 10 footer, could pass to Lynch for a dunk or find an open wing for a 3.

The Gophers should expect to see more zone defense the rest of the season. Their top 5 are among the most athletic in the league and defenses should force them to try an win from the perimeter.

I honestly think that the team might be better with hurt starting and Mcbrayer off the bench. Even though Mcbrayer clearly needs to play more minutes having Mcbrayer off the bench would allow us to have a little firepower there.

Could start hurt and play him for 10 minutes and have Mcbrayer off the bench playing 25-30

I have been thinking about this over the past couple weeks, and I agree with your take. There are plenty of scoring options in our starting 5, and just for the sake of fresh scoring legs off the bench I'd make the move for a game or two to see how it feels. Ultimately, they would end up playing similar minutes, but it could change some of the dynamic.

I'm not as concerned about the Gophers offense against the zone as many on here. Make a few more of the open 3s and it's not a discussion. They had a couple stretches where they passed the ball around the perimeter and jacked up a shot. The most effective offense against the zone is having Murphy flash in the high post, middle of the floor, moving the ball through him and having McBrayer or Coffey run the baseline. The times Murphy got the ball in the high post, he had an open 10 footer, could pass to Lynch for a dunk or find an open wing for a 3.

The Gophers should expect to see more zone defense the rest of the season. Their top 5 are among the most athletic in the league and defenses should force them to try an win from the perimeter.
We need a sharp shooter. One of the reasons Michigan does well is because their players can shoot 3s consistently. Our bane is our below average shooting from behind the arc. Stop Mason and you drop the averages way down. Coffey and McBrayer are inconsistent. Washington can't catch and shoot. Hurt can't make 3s. Only Harris can hit 3s, but he's a defensive liability.

I will note that all the "Hurt should start" proponents can learn from last evenings game why that pipe dream is never going to be a reality.

If I was coaching that team I'd try to get Coffey in the "money spot" rather than Murph. Get him turned facing the basket forcing a 2 on 1 with the big defender in the middle. Get Muphy on the short corners where he is so good and finding a way under the basket for a dunk from that spot.

If you run into a team that plays the agressive 2-3 like Syarcuse where the man in the middle would be stepping up to defend that action I'd counter with the double post action Pitino likes to run where both bigs come to the elbows and the opposite big crashes while two wings go to spot up for shots.

I will note that all the "Hurt should start" proponents can learn from last evenings game why that pipe dream is never going to be a reality.

Meh. Illinois was just ramping up the intensity when Hurt got lazy on his inbounds pass. That’s an inexperience mistake that I doubt we will see again over the next two and a half years. Plus he was throwing to an inexperienced and undersized guard who wasn’t ready for the pressure either. That type of intensity out of Illinois wasn’t there at the start of the game. Again, no one is clamoring for more minutes out of Hurt, but more balance in the lineups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting game to call out Coffey. He had an extremely efficient game and was the main catalyst for that early scoring run. He excels in transition, so when we were running, he was great.

16 points on 6-9 (2-5 3pt) shooting. 4 rebounds 3 assists and no turnovers. I thought he had a great overall game but faded in usage in the second half.

Wow, I posted without checking the box score. Wouldn't have guessed he had 16 points for whatever reason, I stand corrected, he's a gamer.

I think he should start but play the same amount of minutes he currently plays. I just think the team is better if Mcbrayer s minutes and production come with the second unit. Need some firepower off the bench.

I don’t want to give anyone on the bench more minutes if at all possible. How can minutes be rearranged and grouped to maximize the thin lineup we have?

Top Bottom