Cleveland Plain Dealer: A way-too-early BT football power ranking for 2018 (#13. MN)

A. We beat Kent St.

B. We played 5 teams that were ranked at the time we played them, which doesn't include wisconsin, who finished the year at 21 after beating us and then USC in the Holiday Bowl.

C. We played 9 bowl teams.

D. By advanced statistics (F+, etc.), 2015 (I believe) was the best team of the Kill era, even better than 2014.

Correct. Kent State was a reaction to two early picks by ML7. Jerry figured he could grind them on the ground since Mitch was off. He would go on to have his best year statistically (despite the losses).

Do we expect more from the Cleveland Plain Dealer? They are almost as negative about Gopher football and the TC media. The success of next year rides on QB performance and the ability of the coaching staff to identify talent and coach it up into their system. They need to get better at that.

I don't think you can judge their ability to find and coach up talent to fit their system after being hired 9 months before the season started.

Qué? Maryland was one of the worst Power 5 teams in the nation last year. And the year before that, and the...

Their on field product will likely improve but they still have to actually prove it. Nebraska outrecruits WI handily but they haven’t looked it recently.

They made a bowl 3 out of the last 5 years.

Just like last year?

My chili would be room temperature if 13th place happens. I'm not predicting a championship, but a bowl, any bowl should be a goal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Was anyone optimistic about the QB pool this year? As soon as PJ even mentioned that Rhoda was in the hunt, I knew we were screwed.

They made a bowl 3 out of the last 5 years.

My post was a reaction to the very odd statement that Maryland is in the upper tier of the Big
Ten. That is demonstrably false.

Those bowl season records of 6-7, 7-6, 7-6 are not upper tier material. Sorry. Add that to their 3-9 and 4-8 records the last two seasons.

My post was a reaction to the very odd statement that Maryland is in the upper tier of the Big
Ten. That is demonstrably false.

Those bowl season records of 6-7, 7-6, 7-6 are not upper tier material. Sorry. Add that to their 3-9 and 4-8 records the last two seasons.

Actually you responded to someone saying Maryland was one of the teams bunched up in the middle, not in the upper tier.

Actually you responded to someone saying Maryland was one of the teams bunched up in the middle, not in the upper tier.

Well, no. The teams listed in the same tier were:

Michigan State, Maryland, Northwestern, and Iowa.

On what planet is Maryland in the same tier? Consecutive non-bowling seasons. By your own research mediocre bowl seasons. I don’t see any recent evidence Maryland is in the same tier. In fact, MN is a better team to fit in that tier than Maryland.

Well, no. The teams listed in the same tier were:

Michigan State, Maryland, Northwestern, and Iowa.

On what planet is Maryland in the same tier? Consecutive non-bowling seasons. By your own research mediocre bowl seasons. I don’t see any recent evidence Maryland is in the same tier. In fact, MN is a better team to fit in that tier than Maryland.

I don't agree that they are in that tier either, just saying the guy didn't say they were in the upper tier, and I think they are far from one of the worst P5 programs. They've stunk the last few years, but I'd still say they are better than Illinois and Rutgers.

I don't agree that they are in that tier either, just saying the guy didn't say they were in the upper tier, and I think they are far from one of the worst P5 programs. They've stunk the last few years, but I'd still say they are better than Illinois and Rutgers.

Fine. No matter what time period we’re looking at- one, five, ten years Maryland is not close to those teams. They’re not even in our league if we’re looking past the most recent season.

I guess I’m a bit frustrated some fans here continue to elevate !arykand far beyond what they’ve done on the field; the amazing team speed talk, etc...when in reality we lost because of bad coaching.

We might need to wait a couple of years to move up in the pecking order. Keep in mind......this upcoming season is year one.

We might need to wait a couple of years to move up in the pecking order. Keep in mind......this upcoming season is year one.

It's very fortunate that the 2017 season was only Coach and Staffers auditing a Big Ten schedule for no credit or discredit, which ever the case may be! It's always good to know what you are getting into before the grade is applied to your permanent record. It can be a GPA saving strategy. I never did agree with calling 2017 year "zero..." However, auditing a class...or a season makes perfect sense in an academic setting such as a Big Ten University. Especially if you can receive full pay for auditing.

Wonder how it will all go in the first year? This will be exciting!

Fine. No matter what time period we’re looking at- one, five, ten years Maryland is not close to those teams. They’re not even in our league if we’re looking past the most recent season.

I guess I’m a bit frustrated some fans here continue to elevate !arykand far beyond what they’ve done on the field; the amazing team speed talk, etc...when in reality we lost because of bad coaching.

Nah we lost because they have better players that made more plays.

Maryland also played one of the most difficult schedules in the country last year. One that was more difficult than our 2015 schedule.

Nah we lost because they have better players that made more plays.

Maryland also played one of the most difficult schedules in the country last year. One that was more difficult than our 2015 schedule.

Like I said, some fans.

Maryland was plain bad. They did not have a season similar to TCU 2013 where their record belied a good team with a lot of close losses and the following season was phenomenal. Per S&P+ they were 118th in the nation (or similar) overall. One of the worst in Power 5. Maybe next year one of their QBs pans out, maybe not. Maybe their recruiting gets them to a good place, maybe not.

In 2015 we had a very good S&P+ ranking despite the losses and tough schedule. Top 30 IIRC.

I'd give us a slight edge over Maryland over the last ten years, but if you look at the last 20 Maryland definitely has the edge.

I'd give us a slight edge over Maryland over the last ten years, but if you look at the last 20 Maryland definitely has the edge.

Maryland had three really good years in the early 2000s that I would love to have. They weren't bowl eligible the four seasons before or the two after. They were no good in 1992 to 1996, either, but then neither were we.

1997 2–9 (1–7)
1998 3–8 (1–7)
1999 5–6 (2–6)
2000 5–6 (3–5)
2001 10–2 (7–1)
2002 11–3 (6–2)
2003 10–3 (6–2)
2004 5–6 (3–5)
2005 5–6 (3–5)
2006 9–4 (5–3)
2007 6–7 (3–5)
2008 8–5 (4–4)
2009 2–10 (1–7)
2010 9–4 (5–3)
2011 2–10 (1–7)
2012 4–8 (2–6)
2013 7–6 (3–5)
2014 7–6 (4–4)
2015 3–9 (1-7)
2016 6-7 (3-6)
2017 4-8 (2-7)

Croft probably would have been ok with a better line and better receivers. It may take a bit for the O line to get going, but my reason for optimism is solely from the Oline. Lots of young talent and a couple transfers. And of course, our WR group might be our best in a decade or longer.
Nope he was still not a responsible guy, even for his own actions let alone leading the team. His Qb skills mostly consisted of throwing a beautiful spiral which was accurate about half the time. No way he was going to lead this team in 2018.

Nope he was still not a responsible guy, even for his own actions let alone leading the team. His Qb skills mostly consisted of throwing a beautiful spiral which was accurate about half the time. No way he was going to lead this team in 2018.

Are you underselling the importance of a nice spiral?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom