Georgia's recruiting staff being paid more than $500,000

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Yahoo:

In December of 2015, new Georgia coach Kirby Smart met with his team for the first time. He held his fingers one inch apart, explaining how close they’d been under former coach Mark Richt to playing at the highest levels of football. Smart promised the Bulldogs he’d teach them how to traverse that inch, the gulf between excellent and elite, that Georgia’s teams could never quite navigate.

Two years later, Smart has won an SEC title, secured the nation’s No. 1 recruiting class and has the No. 3 Bulldogs in the College Football Playoff semifinal against No. 2 Oklahoma on Monday. Georgia had always recruited well, consistently made top-tier bowls and been competitive in the SEC. But Smart figuring out that final inch has pushed the program into a new paradigm, staring down his old boss, Alabama coach Nick Saban, faster than anyone could have anticipated.

A deep dive into Smart’s recruiting infrastructure – his spin on Saban’s fabled “Process” – illuminates just how Smart has nudged Georgia into the highest echelon of college football. The breadth, intensity and sheer numbers in Georgia’s recruiting operation combine with Smart’s maniacal insistency that the recruiting be based on personal touches. There’s nine new full-time employees in Georgia’s football office, most focused on recruiting, being paid more than $500,000 annually to fuel the operation. There’s also a phalanx of more than 60 support staff members, interns and students who have created one of the most vast and sophisticated recruiting ecosystems in college football. “Kirby took it from a Mustang and turned it into a Ferrari,” said Georgia linebacker coach Kevin Sherrer, who worked under Richt.

Smart laid out his vision for Georgia’s recruiting to athletic director Greg McGarity in his interview. And soon after he got the job, Smart put together a flow chart that made his vision and desires tangible. It explained in color-coded detail the jobs he needed to fill, jobs needed to be created and the reporting structure and hierarchy of everything. Hires weren’t made just to add bodies, McGarity pointed out, as every role had a function and intention. And many of those revolved around Smart’s philosophy of personalized recruiting – invitations to games through graphics via direct messages on Twitter, a focus on assistant coaches directly contacting prospects every day and enough mailings with personalized graphics to kill half of the Amazon rain forest. “We all have great weight rooms, we all have great things like that in the SEC, it’s about what makes you different,” Smart said. “That’s the relationship building.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/georgia-ne...ck-sabans-process-game-changer-050129185.html

Go Gophers!!

Having all the families for this year's early signing period recruits in town the same weekend certainly was a "relationship building" exercise consistent with Smart's philosophy.

Time will tell if this is enough for Coach Fleck's tenure here at Minnesota.

Definitely don't think the U is pouring that amount of money into recruiting but the philosophy seems to be along the same lines of how Fleck wants to recruit. I am sure ADs around the country are cringing at the dollar figure that Smart has setup for recruiting staff because you can bet there will other coaches bringing in flow charts showing the people they want to hire :)

Makes sense. The program has the money and they've had enough success to sustain it.

When you're at or near the very tip-top, I can see how this could work. You "buy" the very tip-top, best of the best of the best recruits.

Auburn did it with Cam Newton, won a national title. Would not surprise me that the bulk of Saben's "genius" follows the same lines. As well as a long history of SEC "bagmen".

The whole system is FUBAR, in my opinion. In my ideal world:
- there is some kind of an organized draft system for at least the top high school and JUCO players, to be distributed to FBS teams (recognizing that P5 teams have to take more than G5 teams)
- pay college football players, based on which programs they go to and their order in the draft

Eventually one of his protégés has to beat him. Or not.

I wonder how the new 25 NLI limit is affecting the SEC schools. They probably have to be a little more judicious instead of throwing out offers like Oprah. I believe it was Houston Nutt that signed 37 one year.

With the new staff seemingly involved in recruit communications, have to wonder how much the recruits can take or want . Do kids these days really enjoy being bombarded by texts, calls, tweets, letters 24-7? Maybe they do. Seems to work for GA, currently first in the croot rankings.

UGA has a $123MM budget for athletics. Spending half a million to employ 9 people and keep your top revenue sport producing at a top level seems like peanuts to me.

Top Bottom