Does a Big Ten Team Win the National Title Next Year?

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
And if so, who do you feel has the best shot?

Talent rankings say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michigan and Wisconsin won't until/unless they have a great college QB.

Ohio St and Penn St are the best chance.

Vegas odds would favor Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, PSU over the rest of the B1G field.... but those odds would be moderately to fairly long IMO.

Michigan should be pretty good with Patterson at QB. Whoever wins the matchup between them and Ohio State should represent the Big Ten in the playoffs.

Side note:
Many Ohio State fans think JT Barrett has held the offense back the last 4 years and the offense will be significantly better next year with Haskins or Burrow. Harsh words for the person who leads the Big Ten in all time touchdowns.

tOSU has the best best shot if they don't lose a bunch of players early to the NFL. That one year didn't they have 18 players drafted?

A lot of it depends on who has a QB who will take them to the next level.

Wisconsin, Penn State, Michigan, and Michigan State all can surprise have an outstanding year.

If I'm not picking OSU, I'm going with MSU.

The rest of the pack - Iowa, Northwestern, and possibly Maryland and Nebraska will be in mid tier. The rest - Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, and Rutgers will be fighting for bowl appearances.

I don't see a B1G team winning it. Ohio St has to replace Barrett, but I'm sure they have plenty of talent in the pipeline so they'd be the best bet. Penn State loses McSorley and likely Barkley so I think they take a step back. Michigan has shown no signs of turning the corner. Wisconsin will be solid again, but they are going to run into the same problem as this year -- their 2018 schedule is awful so they might need to run the table to have any chance. Not sure about Sparty.

My way too early top 5 which is subject to change looks as follows:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Georgia
5. Miami

If Love returns to Stanford I might put them in my top 5. Same with Darnold at USC, but I don't think he's coming back.

Dark Horses: Virginia Tech, Texas, South Carolina, NC State

I think the 2018 ACC looks pretty strong, and the 2018 Big 12 looks weak with almost all their top teams from this year replacing stud QBs.

Michigan should be pretty good with Patterson at QB. Whoever wins the matchup between them and Ohio State should represent the Big Ten in the playoffs.

Side note:
Many Ohio State fans think JT Barrett has held the offense back the last 4 years and the offense will be significantly better next year with Haskins or Burrow. Harsh words for the person who leads the Big Ten in all time touchdowns.

Wow, now that's an entitled fan base!

I don't see a B1G team winning it. Ohio St has to replace Barrett, but I'm sure they have plenty of talent in the pipeline so they'd be the best bet. Penn State loses McSorley and likely Barkley so I think they take a step back. Michigan has shown no signs of turning the corner. Wisconsin will be solid again, but they are going to run into the same problem as this year -- their 2018 schedule is awful so they might need to run the table to have any chance. Not sure about Sparty.

My way too early top 5 which is subject to change looks as follows:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Georgia
5. Miami

If Love returns to Stanford I might put them in my top 5. Same with Darnold at USC, but I don't think he's coming back.

Dark Horses: Virginia Tech, Texas, South Carolina, NC State

I think the 2018 ACC looks pretty strong, and the 2018 Big 12 looks weak with almost all their top teams from this year replacing stud QBs.

Why is Penn State losing McSorley? Barkley is gone, yes, but I don't thing TM is high on NFL draft boards, so I could easily see him coming back for his senior year. Penn St will have another workhorse locked and loaded at RB.

I mean no offense, but RB is kind've a dime a dozen (or at least, a dime a half-dozen) position. You just need a freak athlete, which a school like Penn State can get every year.

Why is Penn State losing McSorley? Barkley is gone, yes, but I don't thing TM is high on NFL draft boards, so I could easily see him coming back for his senior year. Penn St will have another workhorse locked and loaded at RB.

I mean no offense, but RB is kind've a dime a dozen (or at least, a dime a half-dozen) position. You just need a freak athlete, which a school like Penn State can get every year.

Penn State is likely to fall off for a lot of reasons.

IMO you are underestimating Barkley. He's the real deal. There isn't anyone behind him who carried the ball more than 35 times. And Barkley didn't just run it. He also had 50+ catches for over 600 yds.

They lose over 60% of their receiving production including their all-time leading WR as well as 8/11 defensive starters including their entire starting secondary.

Don't forget about Joe Moorhead either -- their stud OC who left to be HC at Mississippi State.

Trace McSorley is good, and he may come back (meant to put a "maybe" in front of his name in my earlier post) but he loses so many important pieces around him that I see PSU as a question mark at best.

I think WI could be very good.

Michigan and Wisconsin won't until/unless they have a great college QB.

Ohio St and Penn St are the best chance.

Sconny D loses a lot, but their backups seem competent enough...I think the biggest change is offensively---they are going to outscore a lot of teams next year,,,that QB looked damn good for a change in the Orange Bowl, now one game does not make a career, if it did my 37 point, 12 rebound 6 assist game in high school would have landed me at Duke, but the optimism east of us should be at an all time high.

can they get over the OSU hump to get into the playoffs is the question.

Will any BT team go undefeated in conference play with a 9 game schedule and a Conference Championship game (ten Big Ten win total) during the next three or four seasons? Better hope for a season like this season was for the Big Ten to have a chance to even make the championship four team play-off. Just a hunch. By the time November rolls around, those trips to some of the Big Ten Stadiums start getting rough even for tOSU...MSU...PSU. I just don't think Michigan will be ready to do much except play spoiler in the next three or four years. Without BLUE beating tOSU about three games in a row going forward...even Harbaugh will have a TOUGH time surviving in Ann Arbor. The BT is a meat-grinder. The winds of November are treacherous for undefeated Big Ten Seasons for even the GREAT teams...What happened at Iowa City to tOSU was not such a strange thing. On a given Saturday late in the Big Ten Season hearts are just meant to be broken.

National Championship? Hard to project, but Ohio State and Michigan State have the best chance to make the playoffs next year. Ohio State is ALWAYS a top 5 team (who looks to upgrade their offense with Haskins under center moving away from the read option next year) and Michigan State is a team that is going to finish top 12 or so in the country this year who I believe plans to return 21 of 22 starters next season.

There have been two certainties in the conference so far under the CFP era. Wisconsin always takes the West, and the East always ends up taking home the conference championship. Until that changes, I have no reason to believe otherwise.

No.

Penn a State is replacing Barkley and that will be tough.
Ohio State is replacing a ton of quarterback experience in a quarterback focused offense.
Wisconsin schedule is too tough, they won’t be unbeaten and a big ten west champ would need to be unbeaten to make playoff based on bias.

No one else in the conference is good enough to win a national title at other positions.

Top Bottom