Is there a chance?

IMG is a scholarship factory. That's its business model: it convinces parents (and/or boosters) to spend $70-80k per athlete, per year, to send them to IMG, and in exchange IMG makes a loose/soft "guarantee" of getting the athlete a scholarship to a college team.

Rutgers, Syracuse and Clemson will be in his final 4 since they each signed two of his teammates, but we will be his number 1 since we signed 3.

Hit me with it; give it to me straight

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nFTRwD85AQ4" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank you!!! I clicked on this thread just to look for the Dumb and Dummer meme. Can't believe it took until post #14.

Rutgers, Syracuse and Clemson will be in his final 4 since they each signed two of his teammates, but we will be his number 1 since we signed 3.

Syracuse = Dumpster Fire
Rutgers = well...it's New Jersey

Clemson = Tough competition.

But you can't "Row the Boat" in South Carolina. If the 3 from IMG like it here, we stand a fighting chance.

IMG is a scholarship factory. That's its business model: it convinces parents (and/or boosters) to spend $70-80k per athlete, per year, to send them to IMG, and in exchange IMG makes a loose/soft "guarantee" of getting the athlete a scholarship to a college team.

Haha. Then why did we get one of their guys without even giving him a scholarship?

Haha. Then why did we get one of their guys without even giving him a scholarship?

[tin foil hat ON] He wanted to play at Minnesota so badly, that he was willing to accept a *wink wink, nudge nudge* offer that a scholarship would be awarded just as soon as it was available and NCAA rules allowed (can't sign more than 25 players)
[tin foil hat OFF]

[tin foil hat ON] He wanted to play at Minnesota so badly, that he was willing to accept a *wink wink, nudge nudge* offer that a scholarship would be awarded just as soon as it was available and NCAA rules allowed (can't sign more than 25 players)
[tin foil hat OFF]

All of that may or may not be true. I don't know the kid personally and unless someone does there is really no way of knowing. But NCAA rules say he can't get a scholarship from us for at least 2 years. He had other scholarship offers, at least one of them P5, so the logic that the whole point of going there was to get a scholarship really falls apart when you consider that he passed up scholarships to walk on here.

Don't be silly. Yeah, mom and dad just send the kid there for $80k/yr to have a nice time and meet some friends.

Do you have kids in youth sports? If so, it can't be hard to imagine that Mom & Dad send their kid to IMG as they believe it will result in a college scholarship. Most parents wouldn't need the school to tell them anything to believe it will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be silly. Yeah, mom and dad just send the kid there for $80k/yr to have a nice time and meet some friends.

Do you know any parents with kids there?

I do. I have spoken with them and there is no loose/soft guarantee.

period

paragraph

Stop making **** up.

But NCAA rules say he can't get a scholarship from us for at least 2 years.

Really? That is some sacrifice, if true!

He had other scholarship offers, at least one of them P5, so the logic that the whole point of going there was to get a scholarship really falls apart when you consider that he passed up scholarships to walk on here.

It's by no means a hard and fast rule, I never claimed such. There will always be an exception.

If so, it can't be hard to imagine that Mom & Dad send their kid to IMG as they believe it will result in a college scholarship.

I don't follow -- is that not the exact same point I'm arguing?

I have spoken with them and there is no loose/soft guarantee.

Stop being silly/trollish -- nothing ipso facto, let alone binding, was being implied.

A source/link for what??

Seriously? Are you that obtuse?

Provide a link, or a source, or some proof of your assertion that parents or students at IMG receive some sort of (in your words) "loose/soft "guarantee" of getting the athlete a scholarship to a college team"

You're making it up. You do that a lot here. You state something as fact that you really just "feel" like it would make sense, and you somehow convince yourself it is a fact.

But NCAA rules say he can't get a scholarship from us for at least 2 years.

Not quite accurate - NCAA rules state that we would have to wait 2 years if we don't want the scholarship to go against our annual count of 25. Plenty of walk-ons earn scholarships before that 2-year term; Mike Rallis, for example, was a walk-on on signing day but had a scholarship by the time he reported for practice that same fall.

Provide a link, or a source, or some proof of your assertion that parents or students at IMG receive some sort of (in your words) "loose/soft "guarantee" of getting the athlete a scholarship to a college team"

The fact that parents would spend that much money leads me to believe that they either believe or are led to believe it.

You state something as fact that you really just "feel" like it would make sense

It's not my fault that you make up in your mind that when I post something, that's me "stating it as a fact". That is your problem, not mine. I did no such thing, nor did I imply it was a fact.

Not quite accurate - NCAA rules state that we would have to wait 2 years if we don't want the scholarship to go against our annual count of 25. Plenty of walk-ons earn scholarships before that 2-year term; Mike Rallis, for example, was a walk-on on signing day but had a scholarship by the time he reported for practice that same fall.

So in those cases, I assume it must be that someone in the 25 (or whatever the number was in the past) had to leave the team or didn't make it or whatever, for the spot to "open up"?

Most of the kids that transfer to IMG already had scholarship offers before they were there or likely would have offers even if they didn’t transfer there.

Most of the kids that transfer to IMG already had scholarship offers before they were there or likely would have offers even if they didn’t transfer there.

Well, you can believe what you want to believe. I am and will continue to believe that parents aren't going to spend $70k/80k per athlete per year without some kind of expectation on the outcome. As hard as it is to fathom, people usually do not shovel money into the fireplace and set it ablaze just to dance around the flames.

Well, you can believe what you want to believe. I am and will continue to believe that parents aren't going to spend $70k/80k per athlete per year without some kind of expectation on the outcome. As hard as it is to fathom, people usually do not shovel money into the fireplace and set it ablaze just to dance around the flames.

You haven't been around enough people with that kind of money. It's WAY out of my league but I know enough people that wouldn't blink at spending that kind of money if it was going to give their kid as big of an advantage as possible.

You haven't been around enough people with that kind of money. It's WAY out of my league but I know enough people that wouldn't blink at spending that kind of money if it was going to give their kid as big of an advantage as possible.

But that was exactly my point: they spend it FOR that advantage.

Some here were trying to claim that parents spend $80k to send their kids to IMG for the nice weather ...

But that was exactly my point: they spend it FOR that advantage.

Some here were trying to claim that parents spend $80k to send their kids to IMG for the nice weather ...

Guess I hadn't interpreted others' posts as to mean IMG was for nice weather. What I heard was that these players, regardless of IMG, would have a college football opportunity. I think the parents think sending the kid to IMG is to maybe boost them from a MAC level recruit to a Big Ten level recruit (or something of that sort). It's a lot of money though and I think that same pathway could be achieved by spending a lot less money. But if you have the resources, why not?

Do you have kids in youth sports? If so, it can't be hard to imagine that Mom & Dad send their kid to IMG as they believe it will result in a college scholarship. Most parents wouldn't need the school to tell them anything to believe it will happen.

Parents send their kid to a one day Twin City camp at the rec center and think they are now magically improved to the point of deserving a scholarship. I can't imagine the fantasies parents have enrolling their kid at IMG.

Top Bottom