SIX nfl coaching jobs have opened up

KillmeNow

Banned
Reaction score
Anybody think a former Gopher could end up with a Head Coaching job this year? I personally doubt it, but a week ago, before the openings opened up, Marc Trestman popped into my head and I wondered what he was up to lately, and was surprised to see that he went back to the CFL and won another Grey Cup, and with a LAST PLACE team the year before, he resurrected the team, got them to a 9-9 record, good enough to make the playoffs, and then got that 9-9 team to win the rest of their games to win the Title. That sounds like some good coaching to me. But at his age, not sure any NFL teams would even consider him??

Any young guys out there that might get a look?

No way Mark trestman gets a job nor do I think he’d want it. He was an odd and unsuccessful hire for the bears

No way Mark trestman gets a job nor do I think he’d want it. He was an odd and unsuccessful hire for the bears

Why was he unsuccessful, though? Looking at what the Bears did after he was fired, doesn't make it look like it was his fault. When he got hired by the Bears, I was afraid it wasn't a good job to take. And seeing what they've done the last couple of years, seems I was right.

Sort of like the poor guy who took over as Green Bay's Coach when Lambeau retired. The team was falling apart, getting old, and was on its way down when he retired, and his replacement had an almost impossible task. It was a recipe for almost guaranteed failure. The same was the case for Trestman when he took the Bears job. I mean, not sure why I am arguing with you, because you are probably right. Pretty sure fans of Marc's CFL team will be very happy about that, lol.

Why was he unsuccessful, though? Looking at what the Bears did after he was fired, doesn't make it look like it was his fault. When he got hired by the Bears, I was afraid it wasn't a good job to take. And seeing what they've done the last couple of years, seems I was right.

Sort of like the poor guy who took over as Green Bay's Coach when Lambeau retired. The team was falling apart, getting old, and was on its way down when he retired, and his replacement had an almost impossible task. It was a recipe for almost guaranteed failure. The same was the case for Trestman when he took the Bears job. I mean, not sure why I am arguing with you, because you are probably right. Pretty sure fans of Marc's CFL team will be very happy about that, lol.
Typically getting fired before you achieve anything means you were unsuccessful.

Maybe not his fault for sure, but no doubt he was unsuccessful.
Odd hire because typically the nfl hires nfl guys, he isn’t really an nfl guy. I’d consider him an odd hire by nfl standards.

Like when Lambeau retired, and Bart Favre was getting old? IALTO

Typically getting fired before you achieve anything means you were unsuccessful.

Maybe not his fault for sure, but no doubt he was unsuccessful.
Odd hire because typically the nfl hires nfl guys, he isn’t really an nfl guy. I’d consider him an odd hire by nfl standards.

I didn't say that he was successful, I simply said that its arguable his not being successful wasn't his fault. He was only given one season, right? How many coaches instantly turn their teams around in one season? That rarely happens unless the team has a lot of otherwise untapped potential. He DID succeed to do just that with his current CFL team. And he did it with his previous CFL team as well. So that tells me it's very possible the problem wasn't Trestman, but the either the Bears QB or something or someone else?

Btw, you do remember that Tony Dungy got fired from Tampa Bay, right? Anyone consider him unsuccessful? And he got hired by another team after getting fired. It happens.

I didn't say that he was successful, I simply said that its arguable his not being successful wasn't his fault. He was only given one season, right? How many coaches instantly turn their teams around in one season? That rarely happens unless the team has a lot of otherwise untapped potential. He DID succeed to do just that with his current CFL team. And he did it with his previous CFL team as well. So that tells me it's very possible the problem wasn't Trestman, but the either the Bears QB or something or someone else?

Btw, you do remember that Tony Dungy got fired from Tampa Bay, right? Anyone consider him unsuccessful? And he got hired by another team after getting fired. It happens.

Dungy record in Tampa = 52-42 with 4 playoff appearances.
Trestman record in Chicago = 13-19 with zero playoff appearances

Trestman definitely could get another job in the nfl. I’ll be surprised if he does though.

Dungy record in Tampa = 52-42 with 4 playoff appearances.
Trestman record in Chicago = 13-19 with zero playoff appearances

Trestman definitely could get another job in the nfl. I’ll be surprised if he does though.

Well, I'd guess that Dungy came into a little more favorable of a situation, not necessarily more talent, but easier talent to work with. I heard bad things about the Bears QB from a lot of sources, right around the time Trestman got the job.

I don't think he's too old to coach an NFL team, he's probably got another 10 years in him, but not sure an nfl team will want to take a chance on him? Too many younger and very hungry assistants out there.

He only needs 3 more Grey Cup Titles to have more than any other CFL coach in history. Might need to be satisfied with that?

Anybody think a former Gopher could end up with a Head Coaching job this year? I personally doubt it, but a week ago, before the openings opened up, Marc Trestman popped into my head and I wondered what he was up to lately, and was surprised to see that he went back to the CFL and won another Grey Cup, and with a LAST PLACE team the year before, he resurrected the team, got them to a 9-9 record, good enough to make the playoffs, and then got that 9-9 team to win the rest of their games to win the Title. That sounds like some good coaching to me. But at his age, not sure any NFL teams would even consider him??

Any young guys out there that might get a look?

Jim Schwartz is rumored to be a candidate for the NY Giants head coaching job.

Well, I'd guess that Dungy came into a little more favorable of a situation, not necessarily more talent, but easier talent to work with. I heard bad things about the Bears QB from a lot of sources, right around the time Trestman got the job.

I don't think he's too old to coach an NFL team, he's probably got another 10 years in him, but not sure an nfl team will want to take a chance on him? Too many younger and very hungry assistants out there.

He only needs 3 more Grey Cup Titles to have more than any other CFL coach in history. Might need to be satisfied with that?

I think he would have a better chance if he was an NFL position coach than a CFL head.
He is outside the typical NFL circles and all they do is recycle coaches. Unlikely a second team hires the same CFL coach. How many CFL coaches have made the jump in the past 20 years?

Mike Riley was the last one to do it before Trestman to my knowledge but he didn’t make the jump directly.

Trestman doesn't fit the NFL prototype.

Not manly enough.

He's too nerdish.

NFL fans don't mind a smart coach, but if he's smart and nerdy and doesn't win games, the NFL fan would prefer some ornery guy like Belichick / Zimmer or someone who shows a lot of emotion on the sideline like they have a low emotional IQ.

Not manly enough.

He's too nerdish.

NFL fans don't mind a smart coach, but if he's smart and nerdy and doesn't win games, the NFL fan would prefer some ornery guy like Belichick / Zimmer or someone who shows a lot of emotion on the sideline like they have a low emotional IQ.

Some CFB fans also put a lot of emphasis on sideline emotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not manly enough.

He's too nerdish.

Assuming this is some sort of attempt at wit or humor.

No offense but you must be pretty young. Tony Dungy took over a Buc team that hadn’t been to the playoffs in 14 years. Trestman took over a team that was about 5 years removed from a Super Bowl Appearance and coming off a 10-6 record.

No offense but you must be pretty young. Tony Dungy took over a Buc team that hadn’t been to the playoffs in 14 years. Trestman took over a team that was about 5 years removed from a Super Bowl Appearance and coming off a 10-6 record.

Why would you assume I am pretty young? I know the situation Dungy took over at Tampa. And the situation Trestman took over at Chicago. Your mentioning what they are simply goes further towards proving my point. An NFL team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 14 years is going to be more patient and open minded, which gave Dungy the right situation, the right opportunity to succeed, when considering that he was a coaching genius and future HOFer.

Trestman came into a team with fans that remember the recent Super Bowl trip. He came into a team with a QB with a reputation of being hard to work with. And fans initial reaction to his being hired was very skeptical. They were on a downward trend, OBVIOUSLY, as they fired the coach that only got them to 10-6, right? Or did he retire? Point is, they went from Super Bowl runners up, to only going 10-6, and now are not coming close to making the playoffs and are on their 4th coach in how many years?

Chicago was a team trending downwards, and Trestman wasn't given enough time or control to do enough about it to reverse the trend. He's shown what he can do with a team with the right tools in the shed. He's going to be inducted into the CFL Hall of Fame and he might break the record for Grey Cup Titles in CFL history. He obviously knows how to coach football.

Why would you assume I am pretty young? I know the situation Dungy took over at Tampa. And the situation Trestman took over at Chicago. Your mentioning what they are simply goes further towards proving my point. An NFL team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 14 years is going to be more patient and open minded, which gave Dungy the right situation, the right opportunity to succeed, when considering that he was a coaching genius and future HOFer.

Trestman came into a team with fans that remember the recent Super Bowl trip. He came into a team with a QB with a reputation of being hard to work with. And fans initial reaction to his being hired was very skeptical. They were on a downward trend, OBVIOUSLY, as they fired the coach that only got them to 10-6, right? Or did he retire? Point is, they went from Super Bowl runners up, to only going 10-6, and now are not coming close to making the playoffs and are on their 4th coach in how many years?

Chicago was a team trending downwards, and Trestman wasn't given enough time or control to do enough about it to reverse the trend. He's shown what he can do with a team with the right tools in the shed. He's going to be inducted into the CFL Hall of Fame and he might break the record for Grey Cup Titles in CFL history. He obviously knows how to coach football.

Great points; I totally misunderstood the point you were making.

My point was that Dungy had an inferior team (admittedly inferior expectations).

Top Bottom