Women & Men, both 12-3, both 1-1 in Conf, both with embarrassing loss to Nebraska??

KillmeNow

Banned
Reaction score
Women & Men, both 12-3, both 1-1 in Conf, both with embarrassing loss to Nebraska??

Any other similarities?

And did Wagner get into foul trouble or something? just 11 points and 1 asst? or something like that?

Wagner sat fairly early in the second (maybe five or six minutes left?), didn't really seem to get in a great rhythm for the game. The Gophers failed to capitalize on opportunities to get Cain in foul trouble AND couldn't shoot AND really couldn't shoot the two AND had no defense.

I haven't seen as much of the women this year as in the past, but Stollings' teams have been typically awful defensively ever since she got here.

I noticed early in the season they were actually switching up defenses a bit, including playing man-to-man (or person-to-person in this case). Then I watched the Northwestern game and notciced that Stollings has apparently decided to go back to her terrible 2-3 zone, which almost assures they'll struggle to stop teams with any competently coached zone offense.

If that's what happened today, color me not surprised.

I agree with MRJ. The defense is/was terrible. Opponents score at will down low. The team really blew it today in general. After winning some nice games, they came home to a reasonable crowd for once; fans had some rekindled interest in the team; and they gave away a game they should have won by 15 points. A senior All-Bigten player like Wagner should be able to take over a game like this and lead them to a win going away. As it is, Bell seems to have to take control of the team on her own. Why is it not possible for a D1 team like MN to recruit tall, athletic women who can play defense near the basket and also score points from close in?

Women's BB seems like the perfect sport for a school like UMn to go all out on. Why do we put up with bad coaching??? Holy sh1t, we should go out and hire a game changer, a ringer, a sure thing, I mean, come on. This is SO frustrating.

The one person that can make the change is unlikely to be checking out gopherhole. AD Mark Coyle, at [email protected] is who you should send your comments to. Just like every other sport (and most jobs for that matter with an annual review), the review comes at the end of the season. Not taking sides in the discussion, but that's the reality of how the decision gets made. And, the U isn't exactly rolling in cash for more payouts for released coaches. But, if he makes the decision to make a change at the end of the season, that's part of what we'd be in for as her contract goes to 2021.

The one person that can make the change is unlikely to be checking out gopherhole. AD Mark Coyle, at [email protected] is who you should send your comments to. Just like every other sport (and most jobs for that matter with an annual review), the review comes at the end of the season. Not taking sides in the discussion, but that's the reality of how the decision gets made. And, the U isn't exactly rolling in cash for more payouts for released coaches. But, if he makes the decision to make a change at the end of the season, that's part of what we'd be in for as her contract goes to 2021.

The buyout would be 1/2 of base (base is $350k/year) + supplemental of $150k/year. That would total $175k + $150k = $325k/year. So with three years remaining the buyout would be approximately $975,000. Plus there are some guaranteed increases of at least 5%/year to the base kicking up the termination fee a bit.

As someone who has grown increasingly frustrated with Stollings, last year I wrote to both Mark Coyle and Julie Manning. Julie overseas the women's programs more hands-on than Mark does. I also spoke with her by phone twice last season. I expressed my frustrations in regards to defense, lack of in-state recruitment, and results. Frankly the message that I got was that buyout after last year was over a million dollars and Coyle and Manning couldn't stomach that last year, however it was expressed multiple times over the phone, that a buyout under a million is more than doable. I have been two 3 gopher games myself this year and see Julie manning at all 3 and coyle at one. Manning was in attendance at the latest Nebraska melt down. My suggestion is to go to Julie Manning first then Coyle, Julie is more available to the fans and does seem to share some of the same concerns a lot of fans are. Personally with NCAA tournament likely killed with bad losses to San Diego and now Nebraska, I am more than ever ready for a new coach after this season.

And, if you wish to reach out to Julie Manning directly, her email is [email protected]. Mark Coyle and his wife were also at the Nebraska game, sitting courtside with Julie. He's been to at least three games this season where I've caught sight of him. And, for what it's worth, Mark was in Indianapolis last year for the Big Ten women's tourney and actually sat with us fans (unlike Mr. Teague who never sat with fans for any time he was there). So, the top folks are watching carefully, too.

Sending her an email tonight. Thanks for the info. Our coach should be met at the door with a pink slip.

Coyle has blinders on regarding at least two coaches in the athletic department (men's pucks and women's hoops). I doubt he has the cajones to fire one or both at this point. With that said, it doesn't hurt to let them know fans are upset.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom