NO PJ Fleck Interview on Sports Huddle 12-31-17

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
There was no PJ Fleck interview on the Sports Huddle on WCCO on Sunday (dec 31).

At the start of the show, Dave Mona said they would have Fleck on at 10:30. 10:30 came and went, and there was no mentionof Fleck. Then at 11:30, Sid and Dave left for the Vikings game, and Mike Max did the last half-hour by himself.

Max did have Peter Najarian on, and they talked a little about college recruiting and the Gophers. There were a couple of callers during the show who said the Gophers' problems this year were mainly due to Kill and Claeys' poor recruiting. Najarian said you have to consider the type of system that players were recruited to play in. Najarian also said that he did not think the Gophers coaches did a good job of making in-game adjustments this season.

Anyway, No Fleck interview this week.

Happy New Year. If you get arrested tonight, don't call me to bail you out.

I assume PJ didn't want to be asked about his recruiting class again and asked whether they will switch sidelines.

hey, if Fleck doesn't want to do the show every week, that's fine. That's his choice.

But, if that is going to happen, then the hosts on 'CCO should say something. As I noted, at the start of the show Sunday, they said Fleck would be on. Based on my experience in radio, you generally clear those things with the guests in advance.

So, two possibilities: Fleck said he'd do the show, but something came up. fine, just say so. "Coach Fleck was not available."

Or - they just assumed Fleck would be on the show, and did not clear it with him in advance. I suspect that is closer to the truth, because when there was no Fleck interview, Dave Mona made some comment like "we're still trying to line up some guests for today." My gut tells me someone at 'CCO dropped the ball.

Personally, I liked having Kill and Claeys on every week, even if it was just for 5 minutes. In this market, I think it's important to keep promoting Gopher Football as much as possible, to try and generate more interest in the program and hopefully, sell a few tickets.

I noticed Saturday night on WCCO news that Fleck was not part of the lineup when promoted. They had a whole line up of people posted so not sure what the problem was with what they had listed. I was surprised to hear that Fleck was going to be on. If he is only going to be on 5 minutes or so, no reason why they couldn't tape something on Friday or so. This way he doesn't have to stop what he is doing to be on the air for 5 minutes.

WCCO radio should not be a priority for the future. It is a dead medium and an inconsequential audience.

Top Bottom