Notre Dame will assess scheduling in future after facing late slew of ranked opponent

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly says the school will examine its future scheduling approach with the College Football Playoff in mind after falling out of this season's race with two November losses.

The Irish rose to No. 3 nationally before falling 41-8 at Miami on Nov. 11, their second loss of the season. Notre Dame finished the regular season at 9-3 after losing at Stanford in its finale. It faced four teams in the top 16 of the final CFP rankings and five teams in the final Top 25. Four of Notre Dame's final six games took place against ranked opponents.

The 14th-ranked Irish face No. 17 LSU on Monday in the Citrus Bowl presented by Overton's.

"We didn't have that breather game the week before one of our rivals," Kelly told ESPN. "There's some other conferences that have it built in, and they do it for a reason, and it works out well for them. That's really an institutional decision, and we're going to have to sit down, we're going to have to look at it hard. We thought the 13th [data] point was really important, right? But that doesn't seem to be that important anymore.

"It seems like the goal posts shift and move a little bit as it comes to how you get in, and this schedule is really, really difficult."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21920124/notre-dame-examine-future-scheduling-strategy

Go Gophers!!

Then he'll bitch about missing the playoffs as a 1 loss team due to strength of schedule.

If you wanna be a champ, act like one.

Alabama getting in proves the committee doesn't care about who teams play.

Alabama's 2 "crossover" East Division Teams this year were Tennessee (0-8 in Conference) and Vanderbilt (1-7).

Wisconsin had better wins (and losses) than Alabama.

Good points brought up by all.

Kelly stating, "We don't have that breather game before one of our rivals", is an incredible statement given that, for decades, Notre Dame seemed to be scheduling about 5-6 ' breather' games / year.

I agree ... you have all the military academies, some other easy games mixed in with a few tougher ones. Every once in a while things come together that make it tougher or easier. Scheduling is done years in advance. You can't always tell who is going to be good or bad a number of years down the road. However, they have a huge advantage in the Notre Dame Broadcasting Company ( NBC ) putting them on prime time every game. Has to be a big boost to recruiting. I think ND has done the least with the most of any university I can think of.

Kelly stating, "We don't have that breather game before one of our rivals", is an incredible statement given that, for decades, Notre Dame seemed to be scheduling about 5-6 ' breather' games / year.

I agree ... you have all the military academies, some other easy games mixed in with a few tougher ones. Every once in a while things come together that make it tougher or easier. Scheduling is done years in advance. You can't always tell who is going to be good or bad a number of years down the road. However, they have a huge advantage in the Notre Dame Broadcasting Company ( NBC ) putting them on prime time every game. Has to be a big boost to recruiting. I think ND has done the least with the most of any university I can think of.

I’d say USC and TX and TN spring to mind as even more underperforming. Kelly’s point wasn’t wrong. AL got in because SEC, recent history, and eye test, period. Undefeated G5 teams have no shot, and Power 5 teams playing tough non-con opponents is a calculated risk that could help or hurt and more likely hurt as it’s roughly a coin flip it will end up an L.

Going back to the BCS era 2009 was an interesting year. Multiple undefeated teams, TX got in to the shampionship. We need a expanded playoff to maintain fairness and legitimacy.

They ought to schedule NDSU like Iowa did.

By selecting the teams they did the CFP committee set-off a race to the bottom when it comes to scheduling.

Poor ND. Join a conference. Most teams play 2 or 3 tough games in a row. Whining little domers.

I think it was a shot at teams like Alabama who played Mercer before their Auburn game.

I'd rather play a program like Illinois or Rutgers than Navy.

Yeah I’d love to seen the triple option over whatever Illinois is doing.

IMO, every top four ranked team needs to play in a conference football game to show me you deserve to play in the Final Four.

I'd rather play a program like Illinois or Rutgers than Navy.

Or Army, for that matter. They're getting really good under Jeff Monken and won 10 games this year including defeating Duke, Navy, and San Diego St.

Or Army, for that matter. They're getting really good under Jeff Monken and won 10 games this year including defeating Duke, Navy, and San Diego St.

They were outstanding this season. Had 2 tough losses to Tulane and North Texas on the road. They won a number of games on last possession. Fun team to watch and Monken, as you stated, has been exceptional. Would love to go to Michie Stadium once and take in that experience (as a fan of CFB).

Top Bottom