Coach Impression Alert...

What I don't understand is how Iowa seems to have more B1G caliber prospects than Minnesota most years.

Hockey. Hockey. Hockey.

We have this discussion year after year after year.

The best athletes in Minnesota play hockey, then football. It's probably soccer after that now, then basketball. Baseball is not like the others, so you can fit that in where you like.

Hockey may account for skill positions but I’m assuming most linemen body types don’t play high end hockey.

Hockey may account for skill positions but I’m assuming most linemen body types don’t play high end hockey.
Most probably not. Jimmy Gjere played hockey through his junior year of HS though.

If you're talking about youth football - and by youth I assume elementary age up to Junior High - participation depends on location and opportunity. In SW MN, there are a few cities that take part in a youth football league (tackle football) for 3rd through 6th grades, with the league based out of Northern Iowa. Other cities have gotten away from playing tackle football at a young age, and have gone to something called NFL Flag football. (same idea - introduce kids to the basics and rules of the sport, but without the contact of tackle football). Each approach has its proponents. Remains to be see how many of those kids will stay with the game and play HS football.

But, if there isn't an organized program where you live, you're SOL.

Hockey. Hockey. Hockey.

We have this discussion year after year after year.

The best athletes in Minnesota play hockey, then football. It's probably soccer after that now, then basketball. Baseball is not like the others, so you can fit that in where you like.

I'm not buying this at all. We produced only one less P5 basketball player than P5 conference football players last year, despite the obvious differences in roster sizes. We all know hockey is predominantly white kids, and typically not lineman sized kids. Even with kids playing hockey I feel like the numbers are still incredibly low. It's surprising that the metro rarely produces talent, when areas like St. Louis produce a lot.

I'm not buying this at all. We produced only one less P5 basketball player than P5 conference football players last year, despite the obvious differences in roster sizes. We all know hockey is predominantly white kids, and typically not lineman sized kids. Even with kids playing hockey I feel like the numbers are still incredibly low. It's surprising that the metro rarely produces talent, when areas like St. Louis produce a lot.

IMO it has a lot to do with the fact that many of our inner ring suburban football programs have been terrible lately.

The trend is good with the robinsdales getting better, but the fact neither Bloomington, Richfield, Irondale, fridley, Columbia heights, and many city schools have bad programs the last 15 years hurts Minnesota football.

Don’t want to single out programs as I think inner ring football has gotten better the last 3-5 years including a couple that I mentioned. Minnesota HS football is hurt by the fact its population centers don’t produce good teams typically.

Hate to break it to you, but there are some people who just don't give a rat's ass about Gopher Football. If you choose to take that personally, that's your choice.

Having said that, I do find it surprising that a HS FB player in the Twin Cities didn't even know the name of the Gopher FB coach. But, that is the difference between a message board and the broader population. Everyone on this board is here because they have a high level of interest in Gopher Football and Gopher sports - more so than the general public.

There is probably a message board somewhere for fans of Broadway musicals. If I said I couldn't name a single song from "Hamilton," they would likely have the same reaction as I would when someone can't name the Gopher FB coach.

But, back to the bigger point - the Gopher FB team has not won a B1G title for over 50 years. If the Gophers had won several B1G titles, or were playing in a January 1st Bowl game every year, I think more people would pay attention, and as least know the name of the head coach. This is the state of the program. This is what Fleck hired to change. After one year (or year zero.....), no one should be surprised that Fleck hasn't changed 50 years worth of indifference and apathy toward Gopher Football.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/ is very addicting.

There are maybe 20 programs in the state that have had players recruited by the U in the last 10 years. Players in all of the other programs have no real history of contact with the coaches at the U. Most all conference players (the best players in the area) throughout the state have no shot of playing for the U. Now if he was talking about Eden Praire or Cretin I would be worried.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is the problem, there is no connection to HS programs so the kids have no idea what level of skill is needed to get to the U. They have general ideas for height, weight, dash times, but that only gets them in the outer ring of the target. Connections between the U and area HS programs will help players get nearer to the bullseye of skills that the U wants/needs.

If players in state have only a general idea of how their skills measure up, then they will be disillusioned and disinterested in the Golden Gopher football program.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Was buying supplies at my local Cub Foods where they often have groups/organizations and the like to assist with bagging groceries as a fundraiser. Such was the case today for my local HS Football Team...players and a few parent boosters were present. I won't name the team but I live in Robbinsdale/Crystal area.

Anyway, I engaged the young man at my aisle...asked his position and he played linebacker so I offered "he liked to hit" and that brought a smile. Anyway, followed with "What do you think of Fleck?" He came back with a "Who?"...which caught me a little off-guard...so I said the "Gophers HC." He came back with a non-committal "don't really know" so i ended with something like "well that needs to change" and went on.

As I contributed on the way out I similarly engaged the parent/boosters about Coach. They were not positive...basically there was "no interest in Minnesota kids from the regime" and "we've got good players going to NDSU and what-not." I offered that he's only been here a year "so hopefully the 'crootin" will look at home talent too"and I moved on.

Admittedly a small sample size but it did surprise me. My glasses are obviously a little too rose-colored. Hopefully the relationship-building makes it beyond the coaches to the next and very important level in HS football...mainly the kids themselves and their involved parents.

Happy New Year from the Billds!

Doesn't speak well of the Cooper education

This is the problem, there is no connection to HS programs so the kids have no idea what level of skill is needed to get to the U. They have general ideas for height, weight, dash times, but that only gets them in the outer ring of the target. Connections between the U and area HS programs will help players get nearer to the bullseye of skills that the U wants/needs.

If players in state have only a general idea of how their skills measure up, then they will be disillusioned and disinterested in the Golden Gopher football program.

What a shock! Ewert is ****ting in the punchbowl.

What a shock! Ewert is ****ting in the punchbowl.
Yeah, well maybe I was spoiled when I played football at Robbinsdale High School. Our defensive coach /coordinator was Bill Burke who played on the Gophers in the late sixties.

Then again maybe people would stop drinking the "everything is fine" kool-aid of it had more salt in it.

Yep, it was the Cooper Boosters. Halsey gets the award for investigative posting on that one.

I myself was not on my game by not remembering with the boosters Philip Howard...out of Cooper of course...contributing this year. My bad on that positive point.

Of course neighboring Armstrong is well represented by two players...one of course being Thomas Barber. Looked at the roster and the other Armstrong kid is Jack Leius...who is a Junior DB from the previous regime.

Doesn't speak well of the Cooper education

I was thinking the same thing. If a high school football player doesn't know who "Fleck" is I am guessing they are not a football fan/player who will be considered for many levels of post high school football.

Top Bottom