Phersy: This team will be much improved in 2018, but contending for BT a yr away

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Phersy of the Rochester Post Bulletin:

PHERSY: Now, don't get me wrong, I do believe the Gophers will be in a bowl game next year. But we must temper our expectations. This is Fleck's first full year of recruiting at Minnesota, and he delivered in a major way. However, these kids coming in are true freshmen, and true freshmen rarely contribute significantly at the Division I level. Some of those kids MUST play next season, because this Gophers team is incredibly thin at a few positions. I believe this team will be much improved in 2018, but I think contending for a Big Ten title is another year away. But just the fact that we're even talking about contending for a Big Ten title is a step in the right direction.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_9308e337-7f52-5582-9e02-6a416f503b10.html

Go Gophers!!

I think his temper is broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is the "we" that are talking about it?

We're always talking about a Big 10 Championship.

Ben Pherson and Jason Feldman make up "WE".
They do a weekly column entitled "Face Off" in the Rochester Post Bulletin.

Yeah I loved the recruiting class, but who actually thinks it takes us from 5-7 to B10 title contender?

I think he's assuming we'll have another great recruiting class when he talks about contending. It will depend on how well vic and his receivers play. Our line will be better than average like usual. Defensively, in 2 years we'll have a vastly better secondary than we have now. Our D line will have depth. Our linebacking core will be our best position group in 2019 with Coughlin moving back (eventually).

Yeah I loved the recruiting class, but who actually thinks it takes us from 5-7 to B10 title contender?

Four classes in a row will.... that's why it's a process not an overnight switch.

Really out on that limb lol

This is an opinion - like any opinion, you can give it as much weight as you choose.

But, it does give an indication of what people think about the program. There is another thread about perceptions toward the program, based on interaction with some HS players and their parents.

Here on Gopher Hole, we live in a bubble as far as Gopher FB is concerned. We are all, to some degree, obsessed or at least highly invested in the program. So, it can be interesting to get a point of view from someone who lives outside the bubble. At the very least, he didn't rip on Fleck or the program. He indicated that he sees progress in the program and hope for the future. That should be encouraging for those of us inside the bubble.

Top Bottom