Playing at the Next Level

GraniteCityGopher

Drive-By Member
Reaction score
Just about pulling my hair out with some of the coverage of the bowl games so far. So, in our household we started playing a game:
1. A "ding" or a dilly-dilly, for each time an announcer thinks he or she can project the success of a college player in one of those other professional leagues. This isn't limited to bowl games, though, as this habitually borish behavior is engaged in by any announcer who thinks he or she should be doing games at "the next level" or "on Sunday" or Thursday night for that matter.
2. Mark how many times the announcer sticks with a theme that is either misplaced or irrelevant- MO and TX used to play in the same leagues! Oh really, when the current players were in jr. high and the coaches were grad assistants!
3. Count the references or sideline shots to the player who choose not to play, or was suppose to be the big star but is not having a good game. At least the in-studio announcer called out the broadcast crew for showing more shots of Josh Rosen than UCLA scored points.

Others I've missed?

I found that most announcers know little about the players they are observing. They also know little about the rules. Idiots all. I take nothing they say at face value.

Believe it or not the only guy that really knows of what he speaks is Tony Romo. The guy is a near genius on what is going on...

The expression I hate is "first down and MORE!!!" No sh!t, Sherlock.

Just about pulling my hair out with some of the coverage of the bowl games so far. So, in our household we started playing a game:
1. A "ding" or a dilly-dilly, for each time an announcer thinks he or she can project the success of a college player in one of those other professional leagues. This isn't limited to bowl games, though, as this habitually borish behavior is engaged in by any announcer who thinks he or she should be doing games at "the next level" or "on Sunday" or Thursday night for that matter.
2. Mark how many times the announcer sticks with a theme that is either misplaced or irrelevant- MO and TX used to play in the same leagues! Oh really, when the current players were in jr. high and the coaches were grad assistants!
3. Count the references or sideline shots to the player who choose not to play, or was suppose to be the big star but is not having a good game. At least the in-studio announcer called out the broadcast crew for showing more shots of Josh Rosen than UCLA scored points.

Others I've missed?

Repeatedly referring to replay....... eg. "Is his foot in and did he complete the process of catching it." "REMEMBER FOLKS, the evidence MUST be conclusive to over change this call!" "DOES THE BALL BREAK THE PLANE? REMEMBER, it only needs to break the front of the line."

"He's JUST WILLING his team to a Victory."

"Who do you like in this year's college playoff [insert name]?"
[Insert Name] responds with answer and then comments....with great insight.....I think the committee got it right." Heard that exchange 100x at least.

"Give Nick Saban 4 weeks to prepare and watch out."
"Baker Mayfield is best player in CFB."

There are many, many more......but most have canned talking points.

But my absolute favorite this year came courtesy of one Troy Aikman who stated (with exceptional insight)........"Dez Bryant has got to go back being Dez Bryant." Apparently he morphed into some other identity or being?

I have found the best thing to do is "mute". I just want to watch the game and not lesson to some idiot who just talkes to justify his existence. I can't believe I am writing this, but the best announcer I have half way listened to was the Pam? on yesterday's second game. She at least qualified most of her statements.

Constantly showing a player's parents, girlfriend, etc. after the player does something well. "I'm shocked that they would be cheering!"

You guys must get annoyed pretty easily then.

Complaining to complain.

Top Bottom