Can Minnesota Win Another National Championship?

It actually seems easier now than it has in past decades because of the big ten restructuring and the CFB playoff:

1. win the very win-able big ten west
2. get lucky and win big ten title game
3. 9 times out of ten this gets you a playoff berth
4. beat some overrated SEC teams and house the natty

BOOM we're back

I very much agree with your outline, but after watching Georgia and Oklahoma we are a ways off. Those teams didn't have just one difference maker. On defense when he is healthy Winfield makes plays, Cashman comes up big when he gets the opportunity. For me it kinda ends about there on offense or defense if we are comparing them to the 5 to 7 guys who jumped out on each of those two teams. Scouting: who scares you from the other team? Gophers haven't got anybody on offense. It wasn't Rodney Smith in 2017...2016 maybe. 2018 will it be Vic, Bateman, Autman-Bell, Spann-Ford, Dunlap or anybody on offense? Chryst talking about Taylor beating Adrian Peterson's yardage record.."Any idea he'd be this good?" His response, along the lines of are you serious? I had no clue. So, hopefully, somebody steps up and we have some people who opponents have to account for. Until then, we ain't doin' nuthin'

Yeah, that is an important point. Also I'm pretty sure there are a lot of really good football players in Ohio and Pennsylvania. So that's a built in advantage for OSU and PSU.

I know Mason tried to recruit from Ohio, with some limited success.
Referring to yourself in the 3rd person?

The Gophers need to win a title for Dr. Don and others.

Winning more than 2 Big Ten games in a season would be the first step in the right direction. First things first.

Can win, yes. Anyone can win.

Will win, very slim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s start with a season where we don’t look like an unprepared joke first. Once/if that happens, we can talk about floating around the .500 mark in the Big 10. It’s going to take more than slick, over-produced meaningless infomercials, silly sayings and empty platitudes obviously, or we would have won the whole thing already this year. One thing at a time.

I am eligible to become President of the United States just as the Gophers are eligible to become National Champions. Our chances of achieving that status are similar.

In all seriousness, I am pleased to see the Gophers 2018 Recruiting Class ranked 29th Nationally as of this morning by 247SPorts.

They are the 6th best class in the B1G behind tOSU, Penn State, Michigan, Maryland, and Michigan State, and is tops in the B1G West.

PJ FLECK 2018 RECRUITING CLASS.jpg

To seriously contend for the B1G West Title, and occasionally the outright B1G Title, IMHO they must try to achieve the following:

1. PJ Fleck and the core coaching staff must stay for the long haul and assuming they can coach well.
2. Recruit a top 25-30 recruiting class nationally each year: ~ 84-87.0 Avg Composite Score, ~ 206-215 total pts.
3. Maintain an Avg Roster Talent Level of ~ 650-750 total points, and a Roster Avg Composite Score ~ 85-87.

BIG TEN AVG ROSTER TALENT LEVEL VS OVERALL STANDINGS.jpg

BIG TEN AVG ROSTER TALENT LEVEL VS CONFERENCE STANDINGS.jpg

This is how tough it is. No ifs and buts about it. You win with talent and good coaching. If it is tough for Iowa and Northwestern to overtake Wisconsin, it is much tougher for The Gophers unless they can recruit better talent.

We are not even talking about national championships until then.

I am eligible to become President of the United States just as the Gophers are eligible to become National Champions. Our chances of achieving that status are similar.

I'd agree, although I am sure you would be a fine "prexy..."Personally, I am much more focused on seeing the GOPHER FOOTBALL Organization get back to that lofty 2016 level of winning 5 Conference games in a 9 game conference schedule. THAT would be a start and would move the program forward from where it sits today. We get to a fairly competitive level within Big Ten play, and suddenly everybody only wants to think about National Championships. I really don't understand how many are chasing that fantasy goal. I honestly believe that fantasy football has surpassed REAL football in popularity. Only in fantasy football can you pay a coach 10 million or more in a season. Only in fantasy football can coordinators earn over 2 million a year. Only in fantasy football can high school four star fantasy recruiting garner so much interest that the top 100 or 200 high school football players can be ranked in accordance with their fantasy appeal and people actually believe it without ever having had them compete. I don't think I'll bother to watch Georgia vs. Alabama straight from Atlanta. I'll just wait until the fantasy numbers are posted and see what REALLY happened during the course of that game...Beat that stinking badger, GOPHER!

Top Bottom