Boy! Really wish MN hired Leach.

Since when do styles, schemes, and coaches matter? Talent Ranking, boys. Get with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't you mean Leach's offense? What I'm saying is that the spread can succeed anywhere if you have a top-notch QB at the helm. Tiller is proof of that. My point is that Leach--and I find him to be extremely overrated as a coach--has never had what I would consider a top drawer QB in his system either at Texas Tech or WSU. My take is kind of off the wall on Leach, but I think he has a mad scientist schtick in which he believes he can dominate with a QB with average skills because the Leach-devised system is so great.

My other point is that the spread without a top drawer QB can be relatively easy to slow down as the Gophers showed last bowl season.

Relatively easy? Relative to what? It must not be that easy to slow down. 10 bowls in 10 years at TT, 4 bowls in 6 at WSU after they hadn't been to one in a decade.

Relatively easy? Relative to what? It must not be that easy to slow down. 10 bowls in 10 years at TT, 4 bowls in 6 at WSU after they hadn't been to one in a decade.

6-7 in bowl games, where the competition is stiffer. The spread can eat up defenses that lack athleticism.

Both of these programs have historically had overmatched defenses in big10 play regardless of what offenses they installed.
Yes because they practice against a non physical offense all week then face teams that are very physical and can’t stop them.

Yes because they practice against a non physical offense all week then face teams that are very physical and can’t stop them.

I said regardless of offense. The defenses were often bad even when Mason's run oriented offenses were at there best.

Leach has been a head coach for 16 years. He got into 13 Bowl Games, where his record stands at 6-7. 5-4 at Texas Tech, 1-3 at Washington State.

Yep, he's lost two straight Holiday Bowls, but at least he got to them. Not sure if he's ever gonna get to a better one.

He's been to two Cotton Bowls, which are better bowls than the Holiday.

:rolleyes:

Quite true, but that was in the past. "Ever gonna get to a better one" is referring to the future.

The 9 wins they have this year would be equal to or better than every coach except mason in the last 50 years of gopher football.

And he has done it 2 of the last 3 seasons.
They’ve been over .500 in conference 3 years in a row, last time Minnesota did that JFK was still alive.

Pretty dumb take.

Ya, cause the PAC 12 is just like the Big Ten. In his 6th season and lost last 2 games by a combined 84-31. Lost to MN last year. The guy is an ass and a blow hard.

Leach was just as reliable as Kill. Kill had major health issues. I loved Kill as our coach here but Leach would have been able to stay longer. Leach is funny but can't talk the talk when it counts.

You guys have had too much egg nog!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It starts with a QB and Tiller developed 3 pro QBs during his tenure at Purdue, including future HOFer Drew Brees (along with Kyle Orton and Curtis Painter). Leach could have won in the B1G provided he could recruit QBs of that caliber. I don't think he's done that at either Texas Tech or Washington State.

I think the spread succeeds when it can win easy match-ups, which isn't that easy in the B1G. We saw a decimated Gopher defense totally shut down WSU in last year's Holiday Bowl with some fairly straightforward wrinkles that Falk and company could not adjust to.

Brees wasn’t HOF caliber out of high school. Had 2 offers. Purdue and Kentucky. Offensive coordinator at Kentucky, none other than Mike Leach. So, yes he does have an eye for talent.

Tim Couch became #1 pick running Leach’s system.

Oklahoma won a Natty with him at OC.

I think he could recruit and win big at a place with more to offer than Lubbock Texas or Pullman Washington

IMO what makes (some of) us love Leach is why he hasn’t gotten a gig at the big boys: stunts like “locking” the kid in the storage room and his well-publicized issues with the administration types. Can’t have that...clash of egos.

Innovator. Would love to see him with top level talent but probably won’t happen.

IMO what makes (some of) us love Leach is why he hasn’t gotten a gig at the big boys: stunts like “locking” the kid in the storage room and his well-publicized issues with the administration types. Can’t have that...clash of egos.

Innovator. Would love to see him with top level talent but probably won’t happen.

The “shed” incident has largely been discredited. He got fired at TT due to new school president not liking his schtick. TT has been mediocre at best after he has been gone.

Ironic that Craig James was doing the WSU/MSU game the other night and offering praise for Leach early before the game got out of hand.

Many schools would love his success. Few school presidents or ADs have the balls to allow the football coach to overshadow their own ego. He is unique in an era of CFB where coaches tend to be vanilla (pj excluded).

Leach would have been crucified by this board and the public if he had been hired. Without getting in the comparison of coaches etc. Leach would not have gotten us to the next level that so many of us want. Has he with his program? No. Funny guy? Yeah, but overall I wouldn't have been happy with him in the long run and I doubt if many would have here as well. I'm tired of inconsistency with our programs. I'm trusting that Fleck will get us there in two three years. Doesn't happen overnight.

Ya, cause the PAC 12 is just like the Big Ten. In his 6th season and lost last 2 games by a combined 84-31. Lost to MN last year. The guy is an ass and a blow hard.

The guy is a very good coach. He's had success everywhere he has been, that cannot be argued.

Leach would have been crucified by this board and the public if he had been hired. Without getting in the comparison of coaches etc. Leach would not have gotten us to the next level that so many of us want. Has he with his program? No. Funny guy? Yeah, but overall I wouldn't have been happy with him in the long run and I doubt if many would have here as well. I'm tired of inconsistency with our programs. I'm trusting that Fleck will get us there in two three years. Doesn't happen overnight.

There's no way of knowing where Leach would have taken this program. I don't think he would have been very inconsistent though, he's been consistent at both stops so far.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

You need to remember what a HUGE effort it took for the Gophers to beat him last year with the shorthanded defense and off field matters swirling. And the win was not secured until late in the 4th quarter with Ayinde's pick..... It was a masterfully coached game by Claeys and Sawvel to beat what was a top 25 team.

And Leach brought them back to a bowl game again this year. No knock on our current and two prior head coaches, but Leach can coach too.

Jim Wacker...

1993, MN 59, Purdue 56. My favorite Gopher Football game of all time. With an “Air Wacker” intro on the Jumbotron from pilot Doug Woog. Jeezo Beezo, that was fun.

The “shed” incident has largely been discredited. He got fired at TT due to new school president not liking his schtick. TT has been mediocre at best after he has been gone.

Ironic that Craig James was doing the WSU/MSU game the other night and offering praise for Leach early before the game got out of hand.

Many schools would love his success. Few school presidents or ADs have the balls to allow the football coach to overshadow their own ego. He is unique in an era of CFB where coaches tend to be vanilla (pj excluded).

PJ is salted caramel. 20% of people take a bite, and toss the bowl. 20% order it every time after. The rest watch what everybody else is eating. He might be garlic chip in a couple years, we don’t know. For the record, it is pretty good and on the rotation at Sebastian Joe’s.

I think that was Joel Klatt. I have a hard time believing CJ would say that. James is out of the game I think?

Brees wasn’t HOF caliber out of high school. Had 2 offers. Purdue and Kentucky. Offensive coordinator at Kentucky, none other than Mike Leach. So, yes he does have an eye for talent.

Tim Couch became #1 pick running Leach’s system.

Oklahoma won a Natty with him at OC.

I think he could recruit and win big at a place with more to offer than Lubbock Texas or Pullman Washington

It's a lot different being a coordinator than it is being a head coach. And don't play the Lubbock or Pullman cards. HS QBs who like to put up big stats should be flocking to where he coaches.

PS--Couch is example #1 as to how the college game and the pro games are radically different. Not particularly applicable when talking about Leach's college records, but it does show how speed on defense at the higher levels in college and in the pro game make the transition from the spread difficult for a lot of college QBs playing in that system.

PSS--Washington State was favored by around 10 points going into last year's game. People talking about the game being in doubt up until Ayinde's interception kind of miss the point. The Cougars were supposed to clock us and they didn't. Credit Sawvel for some masterful planning.

It starts with a QB and Tiller developed 3 pro QBs during his tenure at Purdue, including future HOFer Drew Brees (along with Kyle Orton and Curtis Painter). Leach could have won in the B1G provided he could recruit QBs of that caliber. I don't think he's done that at either Texas Tech or Washington State.

I think the spread succeeds when it can win easy match-ups, which isn't that easy in the B1G. We saw a decimated Gopher defense totally shut down WSU in last year's Holiday Bowl with some fairly straightforward wrinkles that Falk and company could not adjust to.

Curtis Painter? Leach has a QB of that level almost every year.

It's a lot different being a coordinator than it is being a head coach. And don't play the Lubbock or Pullman cards. HS QBs who like to put up big stats should be flocking to where he coaches.

PS--Couch is example #1 as to how the college game and the pro games are radically different. Not particularly applicable when talking about Leach's college records, but it does show how speed on defense at the higher levels in college and in the pro game make the transition from the spread difficult for a lot of college QBs playing in that system.

PSS--Washington State was favored by around 10 points going into last year's game. People talking about the game being in doubt up until Ayinde's interception kind of miss the point. The Cougars were supposed to clock us and they didn't. Credit Sawvel for some masterful planning.

Who cares if big time QBs are flocking to play for him. Look at what he does with 2 star guys like Luke Falk. If your going to knock Leach, I don't think attacking his qbs and offense are the right angles to take. I think he could succeed at many schools, but his lack of recruiting prowess may limit some of his success.

Top Bottom