Boy! Really wish MN hired Leach.

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 9 wins they have this year would be equal to or better than every coach except mason in the last 50 years of gopher football.

And he has done it 2 of the last 3 seasons.
They’ve been over .500 in conference 3 years in a row, last time Minnesota did that JFK was still alive.

Pretty dumb take.

Their QB and top 2 WR’s are out of tonight’s game. Best defensive player sat the first 1/2 for targeting.

Their QB and top 2 WR’s are out of tonight’s game. Best defensive player sat the first 1/2 for targeting.

And Had Mike Leach been hired here and replicated his Wazzu success at Minnesota he would be our most successful coach since Warmsth by quite a bit imo

That, and their talent ranking is 60th vs MSU at 30th. He’s built a solid team at Wazzu with not much. Asking an inexperienced QB to step in and play well vs MSU is a lot. MSU getting their mojo back.

The 9 wins they have this year would be equal to or better than every coach except mason in the last 50 years of gopher football.

And he has done it 2 of the last 3 seasons.
They’ve been over .500 in conference 3 years in a row, last time Minnesota did that JFK was still alive.

Pretty dumb take.

That's the only takes Some Day has got.

Are we laughing at coaches who get blown out now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did I hear correctly during last night's game that Leach just got a 5 year 20 million dollar contract extension? That is big time money for Wazzu. It will be interesting to see if he tries to beef up their defensive line and tries to add more balance to their offense. The current setup works well against some teams, but against teams that can drop 7-8 guys back to defend the pass, they haven't been able to adjust with running the ball to make the other team pay.

Did I hear correctly during last night's game that Leach just got a 5 year 20 million dollar contract extension? That is big time money for Wazzu. It will be interesting to see if he tries to beef up their defensive line and tries to add more balance to their offense. The current setup works well against some teams, but against teams that can drop 7-8 guys back to defend the pass, they haven't been able to adjust with running the ball to make the other team pay.
When will people finally understand that pure spread teams like Leach coaches play awful defense against the run and don’t work in the Big 10?

When will people finally understand that pure spread teams like Leach coaches play awful defense against the run and don’t work in the Big 10?

I think TCU showed that you can have a good defense and a spread offense at the same time, but the spread offense does put more pressure on the defense if they are not scoring and quickly punting.

What do you base that off of? Why would it work in the Big12 and Pac12, but not the B1G? Where are the examples of this offense failing in the B1G?

Mike Leach has a great two year run of losing in the Holiday Bowl. :cool:

Mike Leach has a great two year run of losing in the Holiday Bowl. :cool:

Leach has been a head coach for 16 years. He got into 13 Bowl Games, where his record stands at 6-7. 5-4 at Texas Tech, 1-3 at Washington State.

Yep, he's lost two straight Holiday Bowls, but at least he got to them. Not sure if he's ever gonna get to a better one.

It would be both fun and frustrating with him as the coach. His teams seem to always upset a few good teams but then lose to some bad teams too. And sometimes get blown out by bad teams.

Hiring a guy like Leach is always a bit of a gamble, because he's unpredictable. Most AD's don't like unpredictable. I cannot come up with any scenario under which the U of MN would have ever hired a guy like Leach, given the current and former administration and AD's.

Now, if Norwood Teague had stuck around a while longer, he might have been a bit more of a wild card. I could see Teague hiring a guy like Leach. Any other gopher AD, no way.

I think Joe Tiller would beg to differ: 87-62 (.583) OA, 53-43 (.552) Conf, one B1G Championship. He had only three losing conference records out of twelve and only one overall losing record. At Purdue. Before him the three previous coaches were 54-101 (.348) OA, 39-80 (.328) Conf. Since then? Purdue has gone 38-73 (.342) OA, 21-49 (.300) Conf, including this year which is tied for the best season they've had since he's been gone (2011).

I'd say Joe Tiller's winning conference record and B1G Championship are proof enough that the spread can indeed win in the B1G.

To put it in more perspective, Glen Mason and Tiller coached at the same time. Mason had a "B1G offense". Mason was 64-57 (.528) OA, 32-48 (.400) Conf.

He has made Wazzu relevant again with fun to watch football. I would have loved to have him for the pressers alone.

Leach has been a head coach for 16 years. He got into 13 Bowl Games, where his record stands at 6-7. 5-4 at Texas Tech, 1-3 at Washington State.

Yep, he's lost two straight Holiday Bowls, but at least he got to them. Not sure if he's ever gonna get to a better one.

He's been to two Cotton Bowls, which are better bowls than the Holiday.

Yeah it is not like two of the top 3 teams in the big ten run a spread or anything.

Yeah it is not like two of the top 3 teams in the big ten run a spread or anything.

I'd also love to know the causal link between the offense a team runs and that team's ability to defend against the run.

And Had Mike Leach been hired here and replicated his Wazzu success at Minnesota he would be our most successful coach since Warmsth by quite a bit imo

Really going out on a limb there. Yet Kill/Claeys actually had a better overall record at MN than Leach has at Wazzu over 6 seasons.

I think Joe Tiller would beg to differ: 87-62 (.583) OA, 53-43 (.552) Conf, one B1G Championship. He had only three losing conference records out of twelve and only one overall losing record. At Purdue. Before him the three previous coaches were 54-101 (.348) OA, 39-80 (.328) Conf. Since then? Purdue has gone 38-73 (.342) OA, 21-49 (.300) Conf, including this year which is tied for the best season they've had since he's been gone (2011).

I'd say Joe Tiller's winning conference record and B1G Championship are proof enough that the spread can indeed win in the B1G.

To put it in more perspective, Glen Mason and Tiller coached at the same time. Mason had a "B1G offense". Mason was 64-57 (.528) OA, 32-48 (.400) Conf.

It starts with a QB and Tiller developed 3 pro QBs during his tenure at Purdue, including future HOFer Drew Brees (along with Kyle Orton and Curtis Painter). Leach could have won in the B1G provided he could recruit QBs of that caliber. I don't think he's done that at either Texas Tech or Washington State.

I think the spread succeeds when it can win easy match-ups, which isn't that easy in the B1G. We saw a decimated Gopher defense totally shut down WSU in last year's Holiday Bowl with some fairly straightforward wrinkles that Falk and company could not adjust to.

It starts with a QB and Tiller developed 3 pro QBs during his tenure at Purdue, including future HOFer Drew Brees (along with Kyle Orton and Curtis Painter). Leach could have won in the B1G provided he could recruit QBs of that caliber. I don't think he's done that at either Texas Tech or Washington State.

I think the spread succeeds when it can win easy match-ups, which isn't that easy in the B1G. We saw a decimated Gopher defense totally shut down WSU in last year's Holiday Bowl with some fairly straightforward wrinkles that Falk and company could not adjust to.

I know you didn't make the original argument, but this post seems to defend the position.

Are you implying that Leach's defense would be better if he recruited better QBs thus allowing his system to be successful in the Big 10?

I know you didn't make the original argument, but this post seems to defend the position.

Are you implying that Leach's defense would be better if he recruited better QBs thus allowing his system to be successful in the Big 10?

Don't you mean Leach's offense? What I'm saying is that the spread can succeed anywhere if you have a top-notch QB at the helm. Tiller is proof of that. My point is that Leach--and I find him to be extremely overrated as a coach--has never had what I would consider a top drawer QB in his system either at Texas Tech or WSU. My take is kind of off the wall on Leach, but I think he has a mad scientist schtick in which he believes he can dominate with a QB with average skills because the Leach-devised system is so great.

My other point is that the spread without a top drawer QB can be relatively easy to slow down as the Gophers showed last bowl season.

Top Bottom