Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

The BIG is more bunched up than I thought it would be. Maryland and OSU have already suffered losses in conference games, and not to each other. Also some narrow escapes for those two teams. Iowa not as good as I thought they would be, although Gustafson has been a real force. Indiana off to a terrible start in conference play, mirroring their play in non-conference games. Rutgers a bit better than expected. Nebraska a lot better than expected. Amy Williams might well be the BIG Coach of the Year if the Huskers continue their winning ways. If the Gophers could ever put together a string of wins they could find themselves near the top of the conference standings. Next 4 games are 2 against Wisconsin and 2 against Iowa. Can we win 3 of 4? 4 of 4 would definitely put them among the top teams in the conference. After those 4 games, the Gophers are at Purdue before hosting Penn State. I'm probably being way too optimistic, but winning 5 of 6 would be really nice.

2. Default

If they shoot well, avoid dumb turnovers, and use their bigs well, they have a chance....

3. Default

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-...011818aaf.html

I haven't had the chance to watch the replay; but last night in State College the Lady Lions (3-4) knocked off Rutgers (5-3) 70-67. In last night's other game Purdue (4-2) survived Northwestern (2-4) 63-69 in West Lafayette.

Here's the ending of the Penn State game:

With 0:38 left in the fourth quarter
    After Rutgers pulled ahead by one point with a jumper from Scaife, Penn State got the ball back with 38 seconds left on the clock. Page missed a shot, but Travascio-Green grabbed the offensive rebound. After stalling for 29 seconds, Page forced the 3-point shot, drawing a foul with one second left on the clock, as well as earning two additional free throws for a Rutgers technical foul. Page sunk four of her five free throw attempts to win the game for the Lady Lions.

I read some posters that are ok with this loss because we fought back and came close but still lost. You show me a good loser and I will show you a Loser. Rutgers is still Rutgers and if we would have used a balanced attack and used all our positions on the floor, we would have easily won.

The above is a part of a post I wrote after the Rutgers game and I still believe it to be true. Rutgers is Rutgers. If we would have used a balanced attack against them we would have won easily. I also believe the Big 10 does not have the dominant teams it had in the last few years. If we move forward and let our post players play through mistakes as the guards are allowed to do, and not pull them them after they blink in the wrong direction, we can compete with any team in this league. We now have Iowa coming in with Gustafson. She doesn't have a red S on her shirt. But she is allowed to play through mistakes and get into the flow of the game and therefore help her team. Same with Thome from Michigan, I have watched her struggle at times but continue to play through her struggles and come out with an outstanding game. Much like our guards are allowed to do.

5. Default

In one of the crazier games of the season, Indiana (2-6) defeated Michigan State (4-3) in East Lansing 69-65. The Spartans, without Shay Colley (MCL), only had eight available players including two guards. Nia Holley played point much of the game. Indiana, especially Tyra Buss, smelled opportunity and charged to a 33-14 first quarter lead. Buss went anywhere she wanted. Early in the second quarter Indiana led by 26; but the Spartans outscored the Hoosiers in the next three quarters. MSU began defending more aggressively on the perimeter. The Spartans had several opportunities to tie in the closing minutes. Despite the hard work, poor foul shooting (14-22) cost them dearly at game's end.

Indiana was hot from three early hitting 10 of their first 11. The Hoosiers finished 11-18 from behind the arc while Michigan State was 1-12. Buss finished with 28.