B1G Conference games

Iowa (4-4) finished off Ohio State (5-3) 103-89. Mavunga fouled out with about 7:30 remaining followed to the bench, thirty seconds later, by Waterman. The third Buckeye post, Hart, finished with 4 fouls. Gustafson scored 29 and Doyle 25. There was a scary moment late when Gustafson and Calhoun both turned and ran into each other in the paint accidentally butting heads before falling to the court. Both returned late in the game. Halfway through the B1G season and the Gophers are tied with the Buckeyes.

Gopher fans who have sometimes been disappointed with the Gophers lack of emphasis on defense might take some solace in knowing that Ohio State might take less interest in defense. For a top 20 team, the Buckeyes have shown absolutely no interest in defense in recent games. And, on another note, Maryland barely escapes an undermanned Northwestern team, 68-65. It's looking like the BIG is much more bunched than many thought it would be, even at the top.

I wish the Gophers’ game with OSU could have been scheduled during this funk they seem to be in.

At the half in Iowa City Nebraska is crushing Iowa 56-26. The game turned with the score 12-11 Hawkeyes with 2:54 remaining in the 1st quarter. The Huskers led by Janay Morton, who made three threes (the last at the buzzer), closed out the quarter leading 22-12. In the first two minutes of the second quarter Nebraska extended the lead to 32-12 before Iowa answered. Once again the Hawkeyes are hampered by guard play. And today, for that matter, by post play.

Earlier today Purdue (5-3) shot 74% from the field while running away from Penn State (4-5) in West Lafayette 88-73. The Boilers punched them early and Penn State could never close the gap. Purdue's Harris was 12-14 from the field for 27 points.

Nebraska's Amy Williams the frontrunner for BIG Coach of the Year? I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but it sure would be nice if the Gophers could win at Wisconsin and then Iowa. A 7-3 conference record would be good and would give them a shot at a good conference finish. Iowa has turned out to be a very beatable team, despite Gustafson. The loss of Davis to injury really put a damper on their season.

Nebraska's Amy Williams the frontrunner for BIG Coach of the Year? I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but it sure would be nice if the Gophers could win at Wisconsin and then Iowa. A 7-3 conference record would be good and would give them a shot at a good conference finish. Iowa has turned out to be a very beatable team, despite Gustafson. The loss of Davis to injury really put a damper on their season.

Actually, I don't think you're getting ahead of yourself. I think it's hers to lose. Worst coach in the B1G? I'd almost go for McGuff. He has that team of superstars underperforming, went two years without a single recruit and a has disastrous couple of next seasons looming ahead of him.

Wow I was outside all day. If you would have told me in the middle of January that Iowa was going to go 1 and 4 in their next 5 games, I would have disagreed. Especially when the win would have been a 103-89 win against Ohio State. There is a lot of parity in the Big 10 this year. That could be either good or bad for the Gophers. When OSU loses it makes the Gophers loss look worse for the RPI but on the other hand when Nebraska keeps winning, the RPI doesn't take such a hard hit from our Nebraska loss. This will be interesting how things play out. All we can do is continue to win and prove to the NCAA committee that we belong. I hope the San Diego loss doesn't hurt as much as I am thinking it will.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...braskas-92-74-win-over-no-25-iowa/1073121001/

A bit more on Nebraska/Iowa:

As another errant pass sailed out of bounds midway through the first half, Lisa Bluder stomped her feet, turned toward the Iowa bench and pleaded for an answer to nobody in particular.

“Why?!” the Hawkeyes coach screamed, her voice bubbling with frustration...

..."I need to apologize to everybody who came out to support us," Bluder said. "We appreciate them so much, and I can't even explain the performance we gave in the first half. Obviously struggled on both ends of the court, and it just felt like everything was going Nebraska's way. Every call was going Nebraska's way — it was just one of those games.

"It was like a bad dream. You just can't get out of it."...

...Just as quickly as Iowa’s 3-point shooting resurfaced Thursday, it vanished once again Sunday. The Hawkeyes finished 1-for-12 from deep after going 9-for-17 against the Buckeyes, again illustrating what can happen if Iowa shows up cold...

..."I think that's what makes it so weird," Bluder said. "I never dreamed of this coming. I thought we'd come out on a roll, and we obviously didn't. We just looked a little flat to begin this game. We looked surprised by their defense, which we just played them a week-and-a-half ago. But that's what I think makes it surprising is because the energy was so great against Ohio State."

The Hawkeyes have shown impressive flashes against the conference’s upper echelon, but enough lapses have been sprinkled in between, too. Another tough week awaits against two potential NCAA Tournament teams in Michigan State (Thursday) and Minnesota (Sunday), giving Iowa little time to dwell on Sunday's stumble.

Some strange happenings tonight around the B1G including a pair of overtime games.

In Lincoln, Illinois (0-10) scored 1 point in the second quarter to trail Nebraska (8-2) 26-10. Nebraska went on to win 62-47.

In Ann Arbor, Michigan(8-3) threw away a 16 point second half lead and lost to Purdue (6-3) in OT 81-79. Michigan's Kayla Robbins missed two foul shots at the end of regulation either of which would have given the Wolverines the win.

In East Lansing, Iowa (5-5) went 16-27 from the foul line; but prevailed over Michigan State (4-6) in OT 71-68. The Spartans had confusing play execution at the end of regulation and overtime. Gustafson tallied 36 points and 17 rebounds for the Hawkeyes.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/02/ohio_state_womens_basketballs.html

In today's Ohio State/Wisconsin game in Madison, Makalya Waterman left the game strapped to a back board on a stretcher; at this point, the news is good.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State junior forward Makayla Waterman left Saturday's game at Wisconsin after taking a hard fall in the third quarter.

OSU athletic trainer Chalisa Fonza put out a statement after the game saying that Waterman "has full function in all of her extremities and is doing well."

Ohio State (8-3) defeated Wisconsin (2-10) 68-55. Like the Gophers, Ohio State struggled to get away from the Badgers and led at the half 35-28. Wisconsin took a 36-35 lead in the third quarter before Ohio rallied back to a 41-38 advantage with 2:08 left in the third. That's when play was stopped for about 15 minutes for the Waterman injury incurred when she fell while rebounding hitting her head on the legs of a Badger player.

Michigan St up by 10 over Michigan at the end of third. Go State!

michcsad611.jpg

One slide ends and another slide picks up pace. Michigan State (5-8) defeatd Michigan (9-5) in East Lansing 66-61. The Spartans had lost six straight while the Wolverines had lost 3 of their last four. Michigan State led by double digits much of the game; but the fourth quarter was close. Both teams, especially Michigan, played some nervous ball in the final quarter. (Michigan even let the shot clock expire, after a time out, in the final minute of play). Anyway, the Wolverines will arrive at Williams Arena on Wednesday a desperate and probably nervous late season team.

A win today for the Gophers should put them into 4th place in the conference. :clap:

Shades, that was great shot of KBA. Michigan also lost Brown during the later stages of the game-extent of injury is unknown. Michigan mainly plays seven players so any loss is magnified.

It should be noted that Nebraska (9-3) barely escaped being upset in Lincoln by the Badgers (2-11) 51-48. Wisconsin led most of the way including being up by 10 in the third quarter.

At the end of three it was 38-36 Wisconsin. Trailing 49-48 the Badgers had the ball with about 25 seconds remaining. With his players scrambling to run a play, Jonathan Tsipis called timeout with under six seconds to go to set up a game winner; but Courtney Fredrickson froze in bounding the ball and received a five second call. Nebraska then hit a couple of fouls shots and the Badgers missed a half court shot at the buzzer.

Just tuned into the Purdue vs Maryland game. Purdue is up 23-18 early in the 2nd.
Lindsay Whalen is doing color commentary. My initial impression is not great on her color, but I'll give her longer eval.

Confroy's hitting all her threes. She might have to get the Flaherty treatment from the Gophers.

34-29 Maryland at the half
Confroy with 13 pts (5-5)

50-49 Maryland end of third
Confroy stuck at 13 pts

Purdue is gonna win. This should give the Gophs an additional bump in the RPI

Indiana is up on Nebraska 36-32 at the half. Buss with 20 pts. Bring out the Box-and-1!

Indiana 61-55 and of third
Buss with 31 pts

She went down hard on that rebound but is right back in scoring for IU. Sweet scoop shot for Buss. Really hope they pull out the W.

IU gets the W! Now we need to upset MD. Buss finishes her senior game with 37.

Indiana wins 7th in a row 83-75

Indiana's Batman & Robin (on their Senior Day):
Buss 37 pts (13-25, 3-9 3P, 8-8 FT), 5 reb, 5 ast, 2 stl
Cahill 16 pts (5-13, 3-10, 3-3 FT), 10 reb, 3 ast, 2 stl, 7 blk

bussindiana.jpg

Has anyone heard if the Big Ten Tournament will be free on BTN Plus? Or will you have to buy the conference subscription to watch? I imagine thats where the first 3 rounds will be shown with the men's tournament going on at the same time this year.

Top Bottom