Star Tribune: Matthew Hurt talks NBA goals and watching his brother at the U

I don't think it matters who he plays with.....He is an NBA talent

Agree, but hard to convince an 18 year old kid of that fact. He sees Kentucky and Duke and it looks like almost a sure bet that he could be a pro after one year. Obviously anything can happen...but I would say at this point I feel worse about our chances of getting Hurt than I did Tre same time last year.

Agree, but hard to convince an 18 year old kid of that fact. He sees Kentucky and Duke and it looks like almost a sure bet that he could be a pro after one year. Obviously anything can happen...but I would say at this point I feel worse about our chances of getting Hurt than I did Tre same time last year.

We'll see how important relationships are in this situation. A couple people say that Tyus may have been a Gopher if Flip were named coach instead of Richard because of the relationship they had built since he was a fairly young kid. Pitino was late in the game with the Jones family and never had a shot because K had a foot in long before and that obviously meant he knew of Tre as well. It's flipped in this case with K and Calipari being pretty late in the game on Hurt. We've seen on the Football side of things how big relationships are so we'll see if it's the case here. I think it's different too because regardless of where Matthew goes he's going to be a one and done. As talented as Tyus and Tre are they are guys that project as multi year college players coming out of High School. They may have needed a Coach K more so than a Hurt or Suggs.

Btw I saw on Twitter that Matthew had 51 tonight. May be time to get out to one of his games.

It's just as easy to make the point that those players are 1 and 1 because they're 5-star talent. You could also argue he would be more of the featured player here because there's less talent. I know the fans care more about this than high schoolers, but it would be a pretty damn awesome story for a bunch of Minnesotans to put MN on the national map by staying at home and making a FF.

I think the Hurts are a close family so my guess is Kansas #1, MN #2, that way the family can see him play more. The only reason Kansas #1 is big time reputation or it would be MN.

The NBA just needs to let kids who couldn't care less about education go into their feeder system right out of high school. Let college be for the kids who want a career after basketball.

The NBA just needs to let kids who couldn't care less about education go into their feeder system right out of high school. Let college be for the kids who want a career after basketball.

Nobody is making him go to college for a year... It's an audition/ stepping stone to the NBA. He'll need the year in college to get stronger and play aginst guys his own size.

Nobody is making him go to college for a year... It's an addition/ stepping stone to the NBA. He'll need the year in college to get stronger and play aginst guys his own size.
Of course no one is making him go. My point is that there is an hypocrisy in attending a college for one year when you have no intent on getting an education, yet you take the scholarship provided by the University. I would like to see Universities fined with a loss of scholarships if their players leave before spending 4 years in college. A student leaves for the NBA after year one and that program loses 3 scholarships. Leave after 2 and lose 2 scholarships. Leave after 3 and lose 1. Create a disincentive to one and done recruiting.

I would like to see Universities fined with a loss of scholarships if their players leave before spending 4 years in college. A student leaves for the NBA after year one and that program loses 3 scholarships. Leave after 2 and lose 2 scholarships.

That would be a disaster.

That would be a disaster.

I wouldnt mind scholarships being two years instead of year to year. And maybe increasing the number of scholarships by one or two. It would still allow kids to be one and done, but not allow a program to have a whole team made up of one and done players. Put pressure on coaches to recruit a mix of players, some to develop.

For once I agree a little with MennoSota. Maybe if you offer a scholarship and a kid leaves after one year it takes a year to activate that scholarship for next offer.

I prefer watching kids and teams develop over years and have zero interest in one and done players.

I prefer watching kids and teams develop over years and have zero interest in one and done players.

I mean, I'd really like Hurt Jr and Suggs to come here, even if for a season. I get what you're saying but no one would turn away that kind of talent. Coach K use to pretend he didn't want one and dones and now he is trying to be Calipari

For once I agree a little with MennoSota. Maybe if you offer a scholarship and a kid leaves after one year it takes a year to activate that scholarship for next offer.

Why?

What are you trying to impact here?

I suspect many share built's view regarding one and done and wanting to penalize a team for having a one and done player.

The counter to that would by why would you want to prohibit that kid from making money or possibly getting an education. This rule ONLY would hurt the players.

The change that needs to happen is the NBA has to accept kids out of high school. Everything else is restrictive to the kids, not the schools.

You don't turn down that kind of talent even if it's for a year. You're not hanging with the big boys until you get a few guys like that.

The change that needs to happen is the NBA has to accept kids out of high school.

The NBA doesn't have to do anything, but protect their product.

This has been covered on other threads.. G-league out of HS could be a good solution.

I don't think it matters who he plays with.....He is an NBA talent

Agree 100%! I love it how all these guys think coach K or coach calipari are their ticket to the NBA. Most of their guys are lottery picks and could make the NBA if they went to slippery rock! Everyone of these 5 star guys want to go to these schools to win a championship. That's understandable, but they also don't realize they are a big part of that and if they decided to go elsewhere they will probably make the difference in let's say Minnesota going to final four or winning championships.

They don't realize they're a big part of winning a championship? They pick a place that can get them a championship in their one year and that they can put over the top.

I guess my point is how much more over the top do they need? They are already lottery picks. If they are so good they can probably win wherever they go! So why do they need coach K and coach calipari?

Because you play with other guys like you and have a WAY higher chance to win a championship in your one year?

I get what your saying! Your right! It's just funny to me that everyone in the nation seems to think if your lottery pick there are only 4 schools to attend.

Bigger question - do you want 1-and-dones for your program? My personal preference is no. If a kid is simply using a school as a way-station for one season, let them go somewhere else.

Unless you're going to go full Calipari and have a whole team of 1-and-dones, then I would stay away from them. Give me players who are willing to make a commitment to a school for at least 2 or 3 seasons.

Having younger Hurt with the Gophers may be fun, but does it benefit the program in the long run? I'm not sure. Could turn into another Kris Humphries situation where the player's goals do not fit with the team's goals.

For the 1-and-dones, let them go into the G League or to Europe. I would love to see the NCAA have the same rule for Hoops as for Football - if you accept a college scholarship, you can't go pro until your red-shirt Junior year at the earliest.

You don't turn down guys of that talent level if you're the Gophers. Period.

Top Bottom