Star Tribune: Matthew Hurt talks NBA goals and watching his brother at the U

Bigger question - do you want 1-and-dones for your program? My personal preference is no. If a kid is simply using a school as a way-station for one season, let them go somewhere else.

Unless you're going to go full Calipari and have a whole team of 1-and-dones, then I would stay away from them. Give me players who are willing to make a commitment to a school for at least 2 or 3 seasons.

Having younger Hurt with the Gophers may be fun, but does it benefit the program in the long run? I'm not sure. Could turn into another Kris Humphries situation where the player's goals do not fit with the team's goals.

For the 1-and-dones, let them go into the G League or to Europe. I would love to see the NCAA have the same rule for Hoops as for Football - if you accept a college scholarship, you can't go pro until your red-shirt Junior year at the earliest.

Not sure I understand the logic of taking all or nothing when it comes to one and dones. Having a one and done player on a team that otherwise sucks may not do a ton for the program, but if you have a solid foundation of high 3 and 4-star players, adding a one and done to that could be the difference between a sweet sixteen and a championship. A championship, or even a Final Four appearance, would do wonders for this program.

It's the mind's way of trying to spin the depression that the Gophers can't land those guys.

I would never say the gophers should turn down a one and done type player (Hurt - Suggs) etc but i am tired of watching Kentucky load up on kids who go to class for one semester and leave for the pros after one season. But I would’t want the gophers to avoid recruiting the elite players....I would just like to see the one and done thing adjusted for all of college ball

For once I agree a little with MennoSota. Maybe if you offer a scholarship and a kid leaves after one year it takes a year to activate that scholarship for next offer.

Are you from Iran???

Are you from Iran???

Ha. No. But figured that would get a response. Just a guy who loves college basketball and not a fan of all the one and done players. Love the college kids representing their schools and competing. Not so much the stories you hear of kids who attend one semester of classes to get to the nba. There has to be a better set up than that.

NBA scouts can easily find guys in remote Latvian and Croatian villages, but it's very hard for them to find diamonds in the rough in Minneapolis. That's just the facts, ladies and gents. Unfortunate for us.

Top Bottom