Tanner Morgan or Seth Green have shot at starting QB?

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Seems like we have 4 fairly equal options with Morgan, Green, Annexstad, and Vic. Could see him passing on Green since he's one of Claeys' guys, which is disappointing given the schools we got him from. Morgan seems like best pro-style we'd have but we don't have receivers. Any inclinations as to how the depth chart shakes out? Maybe move somebody to WR like if Annexstad can, Green could too but less time left and used RS

I think it's going to be a wide open competition, although early favorite as to be The Vic.

If Vics passing doesn't improve and/or he struggles to pick up our passing and protection scheme, it could be a two headed monster at QB next year with a run first option in Vic and pass first option in Morgan.

Hopefully Green will pick up the pace, Vic gets better coaching, and Morgan with another year in the system excels and we have a pleasant problem with three good ones. Time will tell.

I don't see any situation, other than injury, where VV is not the starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just hope they play the QB whose skill set best fits the system, and gives the team the best chance to win.

And they have to dump this notion that they can't have a running QB because he might get hurt. There is always a chance of injury every play for every player. If VV running the ball gives the team the best chance to win, then he needs to run the ball.

Of course, if VV does have trouble with the transition to a D1 program, then it might not be the worst thing if Morgan or even (gasp) Green gets some snaps early in the season.

Spring will be open for Vic, Morgan, Annexstad and by the end of spring it will be a 1-2 horse race.

You can be sure PJ Fleck is not afraid to pull the plug on the designated QB if things were progressing. Wasn't Zach Terrell not the original QB he had in mind, but ended up beating out the other QBs at WMU?

Well, he's got a Gopher Zach - PWO Zack Annexstad. Keep this in the back of your mind.

PJ Fleck wants to open up the passing game which will improve the running game.

Im suprised Seth Green hasnt changed positions or transfered. I mean he didnt play last year even though we struggled at the position and we are bringing in a JUCO qb. You dont bring in a JUCO unless you plan on playing him.

It's a three player race, Green is not a factor, if he was even in the mix at QB he would have seen some time this past season. Vic seems like the obvious favorite to be the starter but I absolutely thing that Morgan and ZA are in the competition and could win the job. Should be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Would like to believe there is really nowhere for the position to go but up at this point, same could be said for receiver.

No idea what will happen. I’m hopeful for VV but I was hopeful for DC as well and we saw how that turned out. Hurdle #1 is meeting PJ’s unwavering eye and being his type of guy. A distant second is deciphering the correct pre and post snap reads while ignoring the Big Ten rush.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see one of Annexstad or Morgan take the helm if VV does not develop but I think Victor should be given every opportunity if he shows even a shred of promise as a passer. His running skills look elite level.

Im suprised <b>Seth Green hasnt changed positions </b>or transfered. I mean he didnt play last year even though we struggled at the position and we are bringing in a JUCO qb. You dont bring in a JUCO unless you plan on playing him.

If SG changed positions, would there be some grand announcement? For all we know, he has changed positions....

Annexstad will redshirt.

AMEN! I love that he is here, but dude is a true freshman. I get he turned down scholarships to be here, but his offer list wasn't something that made you think he would play as a true freshman. RedShirt Zach and let VV and Morgan fight it out this year (although it is VVs job to lose).

I'm surprised people are so quick to write off Seth Green. What is this based off of? Have people been to practice to see him play?

I'm surprised people are so quick to write off Seth Green. What is this based off of? Have people been to practice to see him play?

1. PJ has said almost nothing about him. PJ tends to talk about players who he thinks are doing well.

2. Had a wide open competition in 2017 and he didn't place in the top 2. The top 2 who beat him were A) a player that was told to leave last year and B) a player who left this year for a smaller school. Neither of whom were fantastic. If you didn't beat out Conor Rhoda and Croft than your talent is not really likely to be in line with improving the program the next couple years.

If he couldn't get on the field for any meaningful snaps last year (when the level of QB play was about as bad as it could get), the odds are not good that he ever will.

Im suprised Seth Green hasnt changed positions or transfered. I mean he didnt play last year even though we struggled at the position and we are bringing in a JUCO qb. You dont bring in a JUCO unless you plan on playing him.

And when it got really desperate PJ kept repeating that he didn't want to burn Morgan's redshirt over and over again. You wouldn't even bring that up if you had confidence Seth Green could fill in for part of a season at QB.

There is this from SON's Christmas Eve writeup on PJ's WCCO comments: Keep in mind the discussion is on incoming freshmen... "Sid: players you think might play and be starters next fall.
PJF: not into talking about starters, but guys that can have an impact: Bateman, WR from Georgia, very dynamic. 8 or 9 SEC offers- some major ones. decided to stay with the Gophers. he's a playmaker on the outside. You'll see him play as a true FR. If all goes well, if he stays healthy and does all the right things, which we expect him to do. on the Defensive side, a guy like Braylin Oliver, LB - someone to replace Jon Celestin. Runs a 4.5 40- can really fly. about 6'. 220 pounds. he will hit you hard. Our QB position - I can go through every position with you, and I'll bet you somehow, someway, there's a freshman impacting that unit come the fall."

So, if PJ is not playing games and now including Morgan as a freshman, it would seem he thinks Zack Annexstad has a shot to play. OR, does PJ have another elite freshman QB in the wings to be added in February?
I agree with Spoofin... If Vic is not clearly established as the starting QB I will be surprised. If Tanner Morgan is in the mix, then the guy improved a lot, got taller and more athletic since open practices.
I think of the candidates, after watching this tape, http://www.hudl.com/profile/3081536/zack-annexstad after PJ's comments, after watching open practices last year, I think Zack looks like the #2 guy to me. But, if Vic wins the job and stays healthy I'd guess Zack redshirts and Morgan is the backup. Reading about Zack at IMG...they had QB classroom study hours each day...so coming in January he is not a typical HS prospect...his learning has already been accelerated. He recruited two blue chip linemen, he took a walkon spot over a scholarship elsewhere, there's more guys at IMG... he is going to get some chances to perform for PJ.

Our QB position - I can go through every position with you, and I'll bet you somehow, someway, there's a freshman impacting that unit come the fall."

50% of the roster will be TFR or RFR. The 2nd and 3rd string QB's will be a RFR and TFR. If Annexstad doesn't beat out Morgan or Vic in the spring I would expect him to redshirt.

Green was a red-shirt freshman last year, meaning there was no reason to sit him other than he isn't very good. However, he is getting a free education and maybe has come to realize he has no interest in playing beyond his current role. Maybe he wants the UofM education and enjoys being part of the team. The kids has never played another position since probably 7th or 8th grade.

SG

A friend of mine, who is a HS football coach, saw him in spring practice. His exact quote was, "If you think Croft is a poor passer, Seth Green is much worse."

50% of the roster will be TFR or RFR. The 2nd and 3rd string QB's will be a RFR and TFR. If Annexstad doesn't beat out Morgan or Vic in the spring I would expect him to redshirt.

Green was a red-shirt freshman last year, meaning there was no reason to sit him other than he isn't very good. However, he is getting a free education and maybe has come to realize he has no interest in playing beyond his current role. Maybe he wants the UofM education and enjoys being part of the team. The kids has never played another position since probably 7th or 8th grade.

Maybe he has his sights set on winning the Peter Mortell "Holder of the Year" award.

Wow. It’s a wonder any player stays at any program. 22 out of 85 guys start. Maybe 40 play. What are the other 45 going to do?

...maybe stay in his home state with family and friends, get a free education, graduate, and get a job with a Fortune 500 company. Not every player quits or transfers in a pique of anger.

Green needs to stay at QB at least for this year for depth next year I could see a potential position change.

I just hope they play the QB whose skill set best fits the system, and gives the team the best chance to win.

And they have to dump this notion that they can't have a running QB because he might get hurt. There is always a chance of injury every play for every player. If VV running the ball gives the team the best chance to win, then he needs to run the ball.

Of course, if VV does have trouble with the transition to a D1 program, then it might not be the worst thing if Morgan or even (gasp) Green gets some snaps early in the season.

How stupid do you think the coaches are?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow. It’s a wonder any player stays at any program. 22 out of 85 guys start. Maybe 40 play. What are the other 45 going to do?

...maybe stay in his home state with family and friends, get a free education, graduate, and get a job with a Fortune 500 company. Not every player quits or transfers in a pique of anger.

My sentiments exactly.

Green needs to stay at QB at least for this year for depth next year I could see a potential position change.

I also agree with this. Green served as the 3rd string/emergency QB to save Morgan's redshirt this year. He'll do the same for Annexstad next year.

Top Bottom