Tanner Morgan or Seth Green have shot at starting QB?

This is a fun discussion, at least it would be if our QB hadn't been so putrid last year. Certainly PJ set low expectations so that the result of 9 or less wins would look elite. Don't think he really ever anticipated only 5 wins and no bowl. Does anyone really think that he brought Rhoda back in year zero because he didn't want to win and wanted to double down on failure in order to win? I don't. No one expected our QB play to be so terrible. Many of us were excited about Croft until he played, even then many excused him for a number of games. Not until NW and Wisky did we all accept he was a bust. Under those circumstances, without VV coming in, why didn't Morgan play? Maybe he hasn't developed yet. I am anxious for spring training. This is wide open and I hope a couple of these young men really get it together at QB.We could have a pretty good year with good QB play.

Your post seems like a slam dunk. There are just two glaring inconsistencies/outliers that somewhat throw a wrench into the whole narrative for the season:

- Croft was a bust as a throwing QB .............. BUT .......... then how do we explain the Michigan State game? Guy played like a Heisman winner! Nearly single handedly won the game for us, throwing the ball (well, obviously need someone to catch the balls too)
- Morgan didn't play because he was a true freshman, and PJ saved as many redshirts as he could ............ BUT .............. then how do we explain Douglas's burned redshirt? Maybe you can try to explain that one as caving to pressure from the father to force him to play as a true freshman? Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately if he did/can get a medical redshirt, he got hurt, so it was all for naught.

Your post seems like a slam dunk. There are just two glaring inconsistencies/outliers that somewhat throw a wrench into the whole narrative for the season:

- Croft was a bust as a throwing QB .............. BUT .......... then how do we explain the Michigan State game? Guy played like a Heisman winner! Nearly single handedly won the game for us, throwing the ball (well, obviously need someone to catch the balls too)
- Morgan didn't play because he was a true freshman, and PJ saved as many redshirts as he could ............ BUT .............. then how do we explain Douglas's burned redshirt? Maybe you can try to explain that one as caving to pressure from the father to force him to play as a true freshman? Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately if he did/can get a medical redshirt, he got hurt, so it was all for naught.

- Believe there is a saying about a blind squirrel and a nut to explain the first one. The longer-term sample size on him clearly shows that to be an outlier. And it's not like it was that unbelievable anyways. Completed 55% of his passes and also threw a pick.
- It's not a really referred to as a "burned redshirt" if you are playing a guy from Game 1. Burned redshirt is a term for a freshman who doesn't see the field until later in the season either due to injuries or poor play from upperclassmen.
- The simple explanation for Morgan is that we spent 50-75% of the season seeing what we had between Croft and Rhoda. By the time we knew what we had in them we were out of contention for any major bowl or conference championship so it would have been silly to lose a whole extra year of eligibility for Morgan just so he could play a couple meaningless games. Douglas was playing from Day 1 because obviously he must have shown in practice that he was one of the top 3-4 WRs. If Morgan had shown in practice that he was the best QB on the roster I think he would have played from Day 1.

Back on this "Playing Douglas proves
PJ doesn't hesitate to play trFR" rant? Didn't you use it to try and prove Andries wasn't good enough too? As if every player and position is the same situation, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From day 1 of practice PJ told us it was a battle between the two best QBs. Rhoda and Croft. Morgan was never in the mix. :(

There's a big difference between a true freshman coming in at WR and a true freshman playing QB. WR is much easier to get in the game sooner. Much more for the QB to learn.

There's a big difference between a true freshman coming in at WR and a true freshman playing QB. WR is much easier to get in the game sooner. Much more for the QB to learn.

Amen.

You can dork up at WR and the team can still score a TD and it's all good.

Dork up at QB and the possession may just be plain over... or you're starting a new one on the next play :(

Why are Morgan and Douglas tied together here?

Different outcomes can happen for different players.

Morgan had as much exposure to the Fleck playbook as Croft and Rhoda.

If Morgan is our QB and Vic is healthy, I'll be extremely surprised. But, If Morgan is our QB and successful, I'll be shocked. And happy...just like us to win at least 7 games. I can't imagine that happens without the QB being Vic or Zack as my wildcard because I don't see Green getting a shot and Morgan just really underwhelmed me in open practices. Diehard makes an excellent point above... Morgan was here in January. They dumbed down the offense so you and I could run it...it wasn't the mental part that was lacking imo

I would expect the coaches to keep an open mind but the deck seems stacked against Green ever becoming the starter. He was totally on the outside last fall despite the obvious shortcomings of the guys who did play. One thing of note about Green vs Annexstad. Green went down to Texas as a national recruit committed to Oregon and ended up a back up and situational player. Annexstad took the starting job at IMG from a 4 star recruit. Food for thought.

We finally get a former B1G HC posting on GH and you guys chase him out. You should be ashamed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTN and Mase in your Face on KFAN ratings will now skyrocket, because we'll all want our mnpls fix.

We all have to assume multiple QB’s will transfer. Obviously that occurs at every school. Hoping Vic can be that Elite QB everyone is hoping.

"We're going to win the Big Ten championship and we're going to take the Gopher Nation to Pasadena. That's my dream, that's my goal and that's my belief. It will happen here sooner rather than later." -- Tim Brewster

We were so thin at WR Douglas had to play. I think Fleck is confident in WR recruiting and playing a true freshman at the position is ok.

We all have to assume multiple QB’s will transfer. Obviously that occurs at every school. Hoping Vic can be that Elite QB everyone is hoping.

"We're going to win the Big Ten championship and we're going to take the Gopher Nation to Pasadena. That's my dream, that's my goal and that's my belief. It will happen here sooner rather than later." -- Tim Brewster

I hope we don't lose any QBs. We know almost nothing a bout any of them. VV is a So from JUCO. Green is a So. Enuf said there. Morgan is a RFr. We no nothing there. Roste is a RFr. Pickerign is a RFr. Annexstad is a Tr.

VV performed at a high level for 1 year in CA JUCO ball. Annexstad has 2 years at IMG and beat out a 4 star recruit to start. Looks like they have the inside track, but who knows? The remaining 4 have a year observing the system and playbook. Obviously none of them were better than Rhoda or Croft last year. We are super young and the position is wide open. We need 4 QBs capable of starting and winning. Stuff happens, you hope it doesn't. If Warinner has the OL ready to dominate any of the QBs can hand the ball off if they know enough of the playbook. That would make the passing game much easier with the likes of Douglas, Johnson, and Bateman. Williams and others might be able to contribute too. Right now the OL is the determining factor for QB success in 2018. These 6 could make 2018 much more enjoyalbe than 2017.

I hope we don't lose any QBs. We know almost nothing a bout any of them. VV is a So from JUCO. Green is a So. Enuf said there. Morgan is a RFr. We no nothing there. Roste is a RFr. Pickerign is a RFr. Annexstad is a Tr.

VV performed at a high level for 1 year in CA JUCO ball. Annexstad has 2 years at IMG and beat out a 4 star recruit to start. Looks like they have the inside track, but who knows? The remaining 4 have a year observing the system and playbook. Obviously none of them were better than Rhoda or Croft last year. We are super young and the position is wide open. We need 4 QBs capable of starting and winning. Stuff happens, you hope it doesn't. If Warinner has the OL ready to dominate any of the QBs can hand the ball off if they know enough of the playbook. That would make the passing game much easier with the likes of Douglas, Johnson, and Bateman. Williams and others might be able to contribute too. Right now the OL is the determining factor for QB success in 2018. These 6 could make 2018 much more enjoyalbe than 2017.

We also need a running back that benches 800 pounds and runs a 2.2 40. Roughly as reasonable as "needing" 4 starter-quality QBs.

We also need a running back that benches 800 pounds and runs a 2.2 40. Roughly as reasonable as "needing" 4 starter-quality QBs.
If you want to play through injuries and win... At some point we need to think beyond current Gopher mentality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

If you want to play through injuries and win... At some point we need to think beyond current Gopher mentality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Okay. If we can find a way to get that many starting-caliber QBs at once who can lead us to wins, great, but we don't NEED that many at once and it's unrealistic for any program to expect that.

Player development. Great coaching staffs get it done. Mediocre teams do not. I don't think we know if we have a B1G playbook or not yet either.

We were so thin at WR Douglas had to play. I think Fleck is confident in WR recruiting and playing a true freshman at the position is ok.

I would say any WR that could contribute like Douglas would have played as a true freshman. He ended the season tied for second with 11 receptions amongst receivers (Smith had 17 but not a WR). And that was in three games.

It happens much more around the NCAA than QB...

Top Bottom