Tanner Morgan or Seth Green have shot at starting QB?

Wow. It’s a wonder any player stays at any program. 22 out of 85 guys start. Maybe 40 play. What are the other 45 going to do?

...maybe stay in his home state with family and friends, get a free education, graduate, and get a job with a Fortune 500 company. Not every player quits or transfers in a pique of anger.

I can't believe I actually find myself agreeing with Highwayman.

1 QB will be starting. 4-5 others will be observing from the sideline. We need depth and Green was only a RS freshmen last year. Why don't we leave it at that and see if he develops...

I'm surprised people are so quick to write off Seth Green. What is this based off of? Have people been to practice to see him play?

I have it from a very reliable source that Seth Green will not play QB under PJ...it just isn't going to happen.

I can't believe I actually find myself agreeing with Highwayman.

1 QB will be starting. 4-5 others will be observing from the sideline. We need depth and Green was only a RS freshmen last year. Why don't we leave it at that and see if he develops...

Hey, we agree on 90% of most issues. It's that 10%...

Everyone should be as passionate. Go Gophers!!!

Im suprised Seth Green hasnt changed positions or transfered. I mean he didnt play last year even though we struggled at the position and we are bringing in a JUCO qb. You dont bring in a JUCO unless you plan on playing him.

Vic has 3 more years to play. He's functionally a sophomore. It's not like he's a grad transfer with one shot here...you absolutely can bring in JUCOs for depth when down to 1 reasonable option (Morgan) at the position.

I would guess it ends up as Vic because I don't think the rest of the offense will be mature enough to run the more pass-heavy approach Fleck ideally wants. We're going to need to have some running from the QB position to keep the chains moving.

Wow. It’s a wonder any player stays at any program. 22 out of 85 guys start. Maybe 40 play. What are the other 45 going to do?

...maybe stay in his home state with family and friends, get a free education, graduate, and get a job with a Fortune 500 company. Not every player quits or transfers in a pique of anger.

I've noticed you seem to like to respond to posts like they are ridiculous with a chip on your shoulder. Opinions are subjective. I never said anything about transferring in a pique of anger.

Not every kid is the same. Some kids (like Seth Green) choose to leave their home state of Minnesota and play high school football in Texas to develop their skills and plan to start somewhere like Oregon. Then they change their mind and come to Minnesota.

I just said that I was surprised that Seth Green hasn't changed positions or transferred. I don't think he would have moved to Texas to develop his skills unless he wanted to start at QB and I don't see that opportunity here for him.

Opinions are subjective. If you want to be dismissive of Gopherhole posters comments as ridiculous feel free to do so. I hope it makes you feel better about yourself.

What if Mitch Leidner had panic transferred to some FCS school after he lost the job to Philip Nelson? Things change, especially in college on a building team and without an obvious entrenched guy.

Vic has 3 more years to play. He's functionally a sophomore. It's not like he's a grad transfer with one shot here...you absolutely can bring in JUCOs for depth when down to 1 reasonable option (Morgan) at the position.

I would guess it ends up as Vic because I don't think the rest of the offense will be mature enough to run the more pass-heavy approach Fleck ideally wants. We're going to need to have some running from the QB position to keep the chains moving.

I think it's a misunderstanding that Fleck wants to be more pass-heavy. Only year #1 at WMU did he have a team that passed more than they ran the ball (1-11). Yes, they passed more than this year, but not pass-heavy.

When Fleck was winning at WMU is was about 384 passes to 554 rushes each season. They averaged 939 plays per year. The Gophers took 758 snaps this year. Project that over the extra games and the gopher would be about 100 passes short of where they want to be or 7 passes per game.

That can likely be accomplished with better QB, OL and WR play.

What if Mitch Leidner had panic transferred to some FCS school after he lost the job to Philip Nelson? Things change, especially in college on a building team and without an obvious entrenched guy.
Oh wait... you mean what if Philip Nelson had transferred after losing the job to Mitch Leidner... Oh wait....

Oh wait... you mean what if Philip Nelson had transferred after losing the job to Mitch Leidner... Oh wait....

Funny. What is more funny is that PN9 hadn't even lost the job - he quit because it wasn't given to him. That was the first sign of his true character. We are all familiar with the next sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference here is I dont believe Seth Green will be the backup either. Pick the order but IMO the top two will be Vic and Tanner.

Fleck was talking about Tanner in practice during the season. When did he mention Seth?

As far as moving to another position - it isn't as easy as it sounds.

Remember when Streveler was going to play WR?

Just because a guy is a good athlete, that does not mean he can master another position at the level needed to make a contribution for a major-conference D1 program. This ain't HS.

If Green has no future at QB, I hope it's because he just isn't good enough. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that this could be another Croft deal where the QB and the coach are not a good fit for each other. And, in case you have forgotten, Green is not a Fleck recruit. Coaches, by nature, tend to be more positive about players they recruited - not players they inherited from another coach. So it could be a personality thing, or it could be that Green's skill set does not mesh with Fleck's vision for what a QB should be. My gut tells me that Green would have had a better chance to play under Claeys.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers went after a grad transfer with 1 or 2 years left to play. Someone like Burrow from Ohio State if he loses the starting job to Haskins.

And they have to dump this notion that they can't have a running QB because he might get hurt.

Well, I think they realized that they needed a running QB and that was a big reason for switching to Croft. They also recruited VV, a run oriented QB. I guess how protective they are may depend on how much difference there is between the #1 and #2 QBs. This past season the team had two bad options. Given that the team had very little to lose, it's surprising that Green didn't get any playing time.

Just because a guy is a good athlete, that does not mean he can master another position at the level needed to make a contribution for a major-conference D1 program. This ain't HS.

If Green has no future at QB, I hope it's because he just isn't good enough. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that this could be another Croft deal where the QB and the coach are not a good fit for each other. And, in case you have forgotten, Green is not a Fleck recruit. Coaches, by nature, tend to be more positive about players they recruited - not players they inherited from another coach. So it could be a personality thing, or it could be that Green's skill set does not mesh with Fleck's vision for what a QB should be. My gut tells me that Green would have had a better chance to play under Claeys.

But last year you had Croft who was not a PJ recruit and Rhoda who was not a PJ recruit (other than being asked to stay sight unseen) and Green, with Morgan on RS. It's not like they were his guys and Green wasn't. The QB play was flat out terrible, and yet Green barely got mop-up duty when Croft was suspended. On top of that, when Croft was reinstated, he jumped right over Green, despite some conflict between Croft and Fleck (per Croft). I don't see how Green being "not PJ's guy" explains any of that. At this point, I think he is another QB that was signed and developed by the Kill/Claeys regime that fell far short of expectations. I've heard nothing from anyone that has seen him at practice that makes me believe he will be able to compete for the starting job. Hopefully something clicks for him and he is at least competing for the starting job, but after how little he was used last year in those circumstances, I just don't see it happening, purely based on talent.

As far as him playing under Claeys, it maybe would have been a better fit, but don't forget Claeys also brought in Neil McLaurin and the rumor was it was to start, so not sure he would have played then either.

You do understand that Claeys had a JC QB coming as well? Green wasn't going to be top two even if Claeys was he.

Green wasn't playing more than a junior in HS, Oregon no longer wanted him as a QB, he was 4th string this past season.

Annexstad beat out the kid at IMG, that kid no longer was going to Miami and is now going to Rutgers. Some people plateau and no longer improve.

You do understand that Claeys had a JC QB coming as well? Green wasn't going to be top two even if Claeys was he.

Green wasn't playing more than a junior in HS, Oregon no longer wanted him as a QB, he was 4th string this past season.

Annexstad beat out the kid at IMG, that kid no longer was going to Miami and is now going to Rutgers. Some people plateau and no longer improve.

Pretty well known that Green was going to be TC's starter. McLaurin was not Plan A to start.

I've noticed you seem to like to respond to posts like they are ridiculous with a chip on your shoulder. Opinions are subjective. I never said anything about transferring in a pique of anger.

Not every kid is the same. Some kids (like Seth Green) choose to leave their home state of Minnesota and play high school football in Texas to develop their skills and plan to start somewhere like Oregon. Then they change their mind and come to Minnesota.

I just said that I was surprised that Seth Green hasn't changed positions or transferred. I don't think he would have moved to Texas to develop his skills unless he wanted to start at QB and I don't see that opportunity here for him.

Opinions are subjective. If you want to be dismissive of Gopherhole posters comments as ridiculous feel free to do so. I hope it makes you feel better about yourself.

It was ridiculous of you to suggest that Green might transfer.

The only recent Gopher QBs to transfer because of PT issues are Tom Parish, Phil Nelson, Jacques Perra, Chris Streveler, and Dimonic McKinzy. I mean, besides losing a QB every year / every other year, it almost never happens.

The only Gophers QB's to transfer are these five.....

Plus Max Shortell and any other Quarterbacks you forgot.

Yup thanks Bob.

Also keep in mind transfers are much more common now than they used to be.

The only recent Gopher QBs to transfer because of PT issues are Tom Parish, Phil Nelson, Jacques Perra, Chris Streveler, and Dimonic McKinzy. I mean, besides losing a QB every year / every other year, it almost never happens.

+1 Gold, no sarcasm font needed.

I agree it doesn't happen much but Max Shortell, Dexter Foreman and Neil McLaurin are three quarterbacks that did decide to transfer just to mention three more. And of course Mark Williams went from quarterback to wide receiver.
That's only 9 recent QB's no longer in the QB competition. Ha and Demry Croft. Now 10.

They should both definitely have a shot. One will only be a RS Fr, the other a RS Soph. There should be no presumptive starter, and Fleck has said as much, and I believe him when he says it will be an open competition.

Between VV/Morgan/Green/Annexstad I think the Gophers have a nice group of talent and a solid QB will emerge.

Pretty well known that Green was going to be TC's starter. McLaurin was not Plan A to start.

Can you post the GH thread or article this was discussed? I'd be interested to read it and some of the conversation around it

I think it's a misunderstanding that Fleck wants to be more pass-heavy. Only year #1 at WMU did he have a team that passed more than they ran the ball (1-11). Yes, they passed more than this year, but not pass-heavy.

When Fleck was winning at WMU is was about 384 passes to 554 rushes each season. They averaged 939 plays per year. The Gophers took 758 snaps this year. Project that over the extra games and the gopher would be about 100 passes short of where they want to be or 7 passes per game.

That can likely be accomplished with better QB, OL and WR play.

Yep... definitely a run-first scheme.

Well, didn't know it was a secret. Ryan Burns has discussed this many times so if you want a link, here you go... www.gopherillustrated.com

I try to read as my Gopher articles and listen to podcasts as I can and I honestly don't remember this take. I'd like to read/listen to what TC/RB thoughts were on Green and McLaurin not being plan A. Especially considering they took McLaurin and not Jordan Ta'amu. That had/has ramification on the Gophers QB situation.

Again, if you have an actual link to the article or podcast I'd appreciate it. I've looked on GH, GI, 247, TDG but am not coming up successful.

We do not know how VV or Annexstad will pick up the play book. We don't know how Green or Morgan picked it up either. I think that will be an important factor. Morgan and Green will be at their 2nd spring practice and both VV and ZA get spring practice this year. Half a year in the play book ahead of fall competition for the job.

Taking a swag at this based on VV spending a year at Cal and Annexstad on an extreme elite HS level and a brother on the team, I think they have an even chance with Morgan and Green to pick up the play book. I also think VV gets the nod with ZA #2. Just not sold on Morgan. All things even PT for ZA doesnt hurt developing the IMG pipeline. PJ never stops recruiting.

But last year you had Croft who was not a PJ recruit and Rhoda who was not a PJ recruit (other than being asked to stay sight unseen) and Green, with Morgan on RS. It's not like they were his guys and Green wasn't. The QB play was flat out terrible, and yet Green barely got mop-up duty when Croft was suspended. On top of that, when Croft was reinstated, he jumped right over Green, despite some conflict between Croft and Fleck (per Croft). I don't see how Green being "not PJ's guy" explains any of that. At this point, I think he is another QB that was signed and developed by the Kill/Claeys regime that fell far short of expectations. I've heard nothing from anyone that has seen him at practice that makes me believe he will be able to compete for the starting job. Hopefully something clicks for him and he is at least competing for the starting job, but after how little he was used last year in those circumstances, I just don't see it happening, purely based on talent.

As far as him playing under Claeys, it maybe would have been a better fit, but don't forget Claeys also brought in Neil McLaurin and the rumor was it was to start, so not sure he would have played then either.

Rumor was that they considered Green the future but they wanted someone like Mclaurin to ease him in.

Rumor was that they considered Green the future but they wanted someone like Mclaurin to ease him in.

I'm pretty glad that we aren't living in that world of what the offense would have looked like had Claeys and Co. continued to coach the team.

Top Bottom