Gophers went from 80th best in penalty yds/game in 2016 to 2nd best in 2017

Stan

Reaction score
#CultureChange

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hmm, pretty hard to to argue against this stat and how the coaching staff should get a tremendous amount of credit for this. If they remain in the top 10-20 in this stat, I give full credit to the coaching staff.

Just the improvement in drive killing false starts felt like an a major change.

Coaching staff also did away with those pesky wins and fixed our bowl game problem.

Who needs discipline when you WIN 9 GAMES.

Mich - 89
MSU - 96
Georgia - 78
Okla - 100
Ohio St - 120
TCU - 84
USC - 121
UCF - 112

All undisciplined Top 20 teams with 10+ wins.

Just the improvement in drive killing false starts felt like an a major change.

The offensive penalties are the ones that drive me nuts. I can live with some defensive penalties if it's part of a really aggressive (and effective) defense. On defense it's part of a gamble - will the aggressiveness pay off or will it end up hurting you.

Stop talking. It’s interfering with your brain.

Thanks, I will just type then. Iowa is getting absolutely dominated right now in it’s bowl game (again), but they have less penalty yards...so who’s actually winning? Those fools at BC probably think they are.

#CultureChange

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
256997bc6efe9e711af6d4a148d07888.jpg

Thanks, I will just type then. Iowa is getting absolutely dominated right now in it’s bowl game (again), but they have less penalty yards...so who’s actually winning? Those fools at BC probably think they are.

Actually the score is tied.

<b>Hmm, pretty hard to to argue against this stat and how the coaching staff should get a tremendous amount of credit for this. </b>If they remain in the top 10-20 in this stat, I give full credit to the coaching staff.

Is that a challenge?

J/K. Awesome stat. Well done Gophers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s not weird is you know nothing of which you comment on. You either didn’t watch the first half or don’t know anything about football. Which one is it?

Actually, nothing I said was wrong. When I posted at halftime Iowa was losing 17-10 and getting dominated. They were being outgained 281-56 or something like that in total yards, they were being totally dominated at the line of scrimmage. The commentators seemed to agree. Why are you arguing against something that was totally obvious? Just because my comment earlier wasn’t pro PJ? That Iowa came back in the 2nd half is irrelevant to the initial post.

Actually, nothing I said was wrong. When I posted at halftime Iowa was losing 17-10 and getting dominated. They were being outgained 281-56 or something like that in total yards, they were being totally dominated at the line of scrimmage. The commentators seemed to agree. Why are you arguing against something that was totally obvious? Just because my comment earlier wasn’t pro PJ? That Iowa came back in the 2nd half is irrelevant to the initial post.

But the real question- who had less penalty yards?

So losing by 7 is getting dominated? What about winning by 7? Did Iowa get dominated then? I mean BC still had almost double the yards Iowa did. Is that what determines the outcome? Yards?

Why does it seem like any positive things about the new staff (improvement in avoiding penalties and recruiting) bring out naysayers? Cmon it’s a long offseason and these are a couple of trends that are positive. Why the need to go negative?

PJ has stated, on many occasions, that possession and no turnovers is the most important stat he is looking at. I'm not sure why we should be thrilled at lower number of penalties in a season where we turned the ball over more often than our opponents.

PJ has stated, on many occasions, that possession and no turnovers is the most important stat he is looking at. I'm not sure why we should be thrilled at lower number of penalties in a season where we turned the ball over more often than our opponents.

I believe some look at this trend as a positive sign. Obviously the team still has many obstacles, as you and others have pointed out numerous times, but it's one metric that looks like it's heading in the right direction.

Whether or not this metric specifically leads to additional wins is another story. That said, I believe most would rather see a decline in penalities vs. an increase.

I believe some look at this trend as a positive sign. Obviously the team still has many obstacles, as you and others have pointed out numerous times, but it's one metric that looks like it's heading in the right direction.

Whether or not this metric specifically leads to additional wins is another story. That said, I believe most would rather see a decline in penalities vs. an increase.
Sure. Decline in penalties means shorter distance to travel in order to get into scoring position...if the offense actually moves the ball. It also means we don't give the opposing offense extra yards, assuming they aren't already gashing our defense. A lot of assumptions have to be taken in order to make this stat be of any great value.

Sure. Decline in penalties means shorter distance to travel in order to get into scoring position...if the offense actually moves the ball. It also means we don't give the opposing offense extra yards, assuming they aren't already gashing our defense. A lot of assumptions have to be taken in order to make this stat be of any great value.

Yep, and it really has no correlation as to whether a program is successful on the field.

Top Bottom