Pitino on Hurt: "He does something that we’re not great at, which is cutting."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Pitino on Hurt: "He does something that we’re not great at, which is cutting."

per Marcus:

HURT HELPS

Gophers sophomore forward Michael Hurt is averaging 9.0 points in his first two career starts the last two wins against Oral Roberts and Florida Atlantic.

“The last two games he’s been very good,” Pitino said. “He does something that we’re not great at, which is cutting. He moves the ball really well. It’s not a coincidence he plays 20-something minutes and we had 25 assists or whatever it was. It’s contagious. The other guys can learn from him because he’s got a really good feel for it. I’m happy for him, because he works really hard. He’s taking advantage of a good opportunity.”

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...anticipate-him-missing-a-whole-lot/466614953/

Go Gophers!!

That is a great statement by Pitino. I really appreciate his honesty. This team gets caught watching the guy with the ball and whomever is setting the ball screen. They don't do well with cutting away from the ball and setting back screens. It's good to see Pitino giving props to the players who are willing to do the unseen work that gets a teammate a good look.

That is a great statement by Pitino. I really appreciate his honesty. This team gets caught watching the guy with the ball and whomever is setting the ball screen. They don't do well with cutting away from the ball and setting back screens. It's good to see Pitino giving props to the players who are willing to do the unseen work that gets a teammate a good look.

Agreed. We would really benefit from doing more of the little things and not forcing things offensively. We're so good when we move the ball around and wait for a good look rather than rushing a jumper. It also drains teammates' energy physically and psychologically when they have to turn right around to hustle back on defense because Washington or Mason decided to force a tough shot quickly. At least drive or have a wide open shot if you're not gonna use any clock. Murphy is way too good to not look for him inside before tossing up a prayer.

We all said last year he lacked confidence. He has more this year, as well as more strength. The coaches are developing Hurt into a serviceable bench player and borderline starter type player. The thing that sticks out to me is this year whenever the tv zooms in near or on him he is always communicating with someone on the team.

Here's hoping that when Dupree comes back and Hurt goes back to the bench that this time will have given him more experience and confidence to take a bigger role in the offense when he is on the court. No secret that bench production has been a major issue but if the team can get to the point where Washington and Hurt are strong options off the bench and then mix in with some sharp shooting by Harris and servicable big man minutes from Konate, Gaston, and Fitzgerald it could be the recipe for a solid squad in Big Ten play.

Maybe he’ll turn out to be our Robbie Hummel.:)

Here's hoping that when Dupree comes back and Hurt goes back to the bench that this time will have given him more experience and confidence to take a bigger role in the offense when he is on the court. No secret that bench production has been a major issue but if the team can get to the point where Washington and Hurt are strong options off the bench and then mix in with some sharp shooting by Harris and servicable big man minutes from Konate, Gaston, and Fitzgerald it could be the recipe for a solid squad in Big Ten play.

Hurt might continue to start when Dupree comes back. I thought this a long time ago. We need some way to extend that rotation, and it might just be that the first 10 minutes of the game don't include Dupree.

Hurt might continue to start when Dupree comes back. I thought this a long time ago. We need some way to extend that rotation, and it might just be that the first 10 minutes of the game don't include Dupree.

Thought same thing.

Depends on if we want to start the game in the hole and be down by 5-10 points after ten minutes.
If Dupree is healthy there is really no comparison between Hurt and McBrayer. McBrayer starts without a doubt.

Depends on if we want to start the game in the hole and be down by 5-10 points after ten minutes.
If Dupree is healthy there is really no comparison between Hurt and McBrayer. McBrayer starts without a doubt.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Pitino try it once Dupree comes back. McBrayer was strong in the 6th man role last year and could provide an instant spark off the bench provided Hurt is able to play solid in a starting role the way he has over the past few games. Might be very dependent on matchup with the other team but wouldn't surprise me to see it.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Pitino try it once Dupree comes back. McBrayer was strong in the 6th man role last year and could provide an instant spark off the bench provided Hurt is able to play solid in a starting role the way he has over the past few games. Might be very dependent on matchup with the other team but wouldn't surprise me to see it.
Look at the two teams you are sampling and gauging Hurt against.
While I agree that Hurt is improving, I cannot see any reason to start him over Dupree if both are healthy.
My concern is the obvious muscle loss Dupree has sustained due to his illness. It takes a lot of time and work to get your shooting touch back after losing 20 lbs in one week. Those muscles need to be nurtured back to strength and health.
The only scenario where Hurt starts is if McBrayer is not physically ready.

While I agree that Hurt is improving, I cannot see any reason to start him over Dupree if both are healthy.
My concern is the obvious muscle loss Dupree has sustained due to his illness. It takes a lot of time and work to get your shooting touch back after losing 20 lbs in one week. Those muscles need to be nurtured back to strength and health.

Serious question: If the team's 5 most talented players were all 6-foot point guards, would you want all 5 of them to start?

Serious question: If the team's 5 most talented players were all 6-foot point guards, would you want all 5 of them to start?

Isaiah Washington, Nate Mason, Kevin Dorsey, McKinley Wright, Jarvis Johnson?

#postionlessbasketball

I think you're a little off on this one my friend. A couple thoughts...
1) Our starting lineup already has a lot of scoring to begin with in Mason, Coffey, and Murphy. Our bench does not. It might be more beneficial for the team if he can assume a scoring role off the bench and balance out the transition when we get our subs in the game. Hurt covers what our starting lineup lacks a little bit in defense, passing, and movement off the ball.
2) Dupree didn't have much muscle to lose to begin with and he just lost another 20 lbs. He's going to get bullied until he gets strength back and might not be in condition to get starter minutes.
3) He was also very streaky with his shot before he got injured. He might be able to gain more confidence at least for the time being in a bench role where he could really thrive (ala Akeem Springs last season).

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Pitino try this out nor would it be crazy like you seem to be making it out to be.

The question isn't whether Hurt is a better player. No sane person thinks that. That doesn't mean the team is necessarily better off with Dupree starting.

1) Our starting lineup already has a lot of scoring to begin with in Mason, Coffey, and Murphy. Our bench does not. It might be more beneficial for the team if he can assume a scoring role off the bench and balance out the transition when we get our subs in the game. Hurt covers what our starting lineup lacks a little bit in defense, passing, and movement off the ball.
2) Dupree didn't have much muscle to lose to begin with and he just lost another 20 lbs. He's going to get bullied until he gets strength back and might not be in condition to get starter minutes.

3) He was also very streaky with his shot before he got injured. He might be able to gain more confidence at least for the time being in a bench role where he could really thrive (ala Akeem Springs last season).

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Pitino try this out nor would it be crazy like you seem to be making it out to be.

Agree with all of this except the defense part. McBrayer is unequivocally a better defender.

The question isn't whether Hurt is a better player. No sane person thinks that. That doesn't mean the team is necessarily better off with Dupree starting.

Bingo.

I hope we keep Hurt as the starter and move Dupree back to the 6th man hole, he was dynamite off the bench last season.

Pitino does make a great point, Hurt is a decent passer, cutter and moves well without the ball. If he can gain confidence to hit that open 3 or finish at the room he will become a good Big 10 forward. He looks bigger in person and could play the 4 if needed.

Pitino's statement raises the question of whether they're teaching or emphasizing the basketball fundamentals enough.

Pitino's statement raises the question of whether they're teaching or emphasizing the basketball fundamentals enough.

"They're", as in the coaching staff?

An argument could certainly be made that cutting, while a skill and somewhat instinctual, is not emphasized enough in youth ball.

A lot of kids never learn to cut because of the types of offenses they are running. You start out learning really basic plays that don't allow much freedom. Then you get older and it becomes a lot of 1 on 1, fast breaking, pick and roll, etc. A good cutter is hard to defend, Hurt has proven he is a good cutter. He may need some work finishing but he can certainly cut.

He has missed some easy ones from IW the past couple games but I like his new found confidence. I wouldn't mind seeing him start a few more games and see if Dupree can lead the 2nd unit (which has been dreadful)

You don't need to play Hurt more than Dupree. Hell, you could play Dupree 35 minutes in a game if you want. But you don't have to start him.

A lot of kids never learn to cut because of the types of offenses they are running. You start out learning really basic plays that don't allow much freedom. Then you get older and it becomes a lot of 1 on 1, fast breaking, pick and roll, etc. A good cutter is hard to defend, Hurt has proven he is a good cutter. He may need some work finishing but he can certainly cut.

He has missed some easy ones from IW the past couple games but I like his new found confidence. I wouldn't mind seeing him start a few more games and see if Dupree can lead the 2nd unit (which has been dreadful)

You don't need to play Hurt more than Dupree. Hell, you could play Dupree 35 minutes in a game if you want. But you don't have to start him.

It will be interesting once Dupree comes back how the wing minutes shake out. With Hurt playing well and Pitino coming out and saying he needs to get Harris on the floor more.

You are setting Hurt on a pedastal based solely upon two games against bad, bad teams. Hurt is what...1 for 10 from beyond the arc and scoreless against P5 teams?
People attempting to make Hurt = to McBrayer are living a fantasy.
Hurt is to Minnesota what Isaiah Dahlman was to Michigan State. A hard working sub.
If we have Hurt starting we are a bubble team come March.

Yes it is. This team is remarkably better off with a healthy Dupree starting.

It points out that Pitino is far more aware of the teams deficiencies than any of us on the GH. Take comfort, Pitino and crew are working on this issue.

It will be interesting once Dupree comes back how the wing minutes shake out. With Hurt playing well and Pitino coming out and saying he needs to get Harris on the floor more.
Sample size and competition before we say that Hurt is playing well. He played well against bottom feeders, that we can agree on.

Red herring
Hurt < McBrayer - given both are healthy.

You aren't understanding. Of course McBrayer is better than Hurt. No one is suggesting otherwise. The point is that you don't necessarily start your 5 most talented players. Sometimes you can get more overall value by having a better player coming off the bench, and I think that is the case here. We don't need 5 scorers on the court at the same time. Having a guy like Hurt playing with the starters more is beneficial since he moves the ball well, which can put our talented scorers in better position to do what they do best. McBrayer coming off the bench also helps with our lack of scoring off the bench. Saying Hurt should start doesn't mean he needs 30 minutes of playing time, nor does it mean he should play more than McBrayer. Not sure why this is such a struggle for you.

Top Bottom